Author Topic: Fabr's Desert Car (As If I Don't Have Enough on My Plate)  (Read 116436 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Fabr's Desert Car (As If I Don't Have Enough on My Plate)
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
So,been busy as hail (pun intended  eyes ;D ) lately and then I have needed to get the power ladder trailer done for some time. An old boat trailer and a few days work along with some chinese pos pick up truck bed hoist and ,viola! A worksaver and OSHA happy maker for those care. Nobody in this part of the world does though as most roofing materials are still carried up the ladder by some nice ,dark complexioned young men.  eyes eyes
   Now it's hit the SOB part of this detuning BS. I have to port the intake to match the heads now. EFF ,I hate this crap job even though I used to do it for $$$$$$$ Oh well,at least the heads are done.  8) 8)
  Had to put intake on heads to scribe reference marks so I just layed the rather tiny looking carb on top for some measurements needed. Damn thing looks like a dinky 2 barrel.  rofl

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
I like the motor pic and the ladder looks interesting too!  ;D
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »

That motor looks nasty fast sitting on the stand Fabr!
Zoom-Zoom!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »
They take a LOT of attention to detail to build. A first assembly will take about 2 weeks to get everything right.Lots of machining ,lots of measuring and interference/clearance checking.  They are not a slap it together thing. No such thing as "standard off the shelf parts for these. You either get it right or you have a huge paper weight to cry over. LOL!!! Get them right and they are bullet proof badass.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2013, 06:38:16 AM »
with all your spare time you should have it knoced out in a week then!  rofl    i know you will get it right the first time and it will be great to get a ride in it after the shocks are dialed in!  ;D ;)
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »
This engine had different heads and induction on it in the dragster requiring a much bigger cam to make 900ish hp. I decided to use the baby canted valve heads on it for this application as they make fantastic power with a fairly mild cam comparatively speaking. In the dragster I was running .850 approx valve lift. This motor will now have only .660 lift. On the big canted valve head ,the .660 lift cam gives a nice smooth idle at as low as 600 rpm. These Brodix canted valve heads heads are just that much better than the AFR ones. Not knocking AFR as they made a very good conventional type SBC head  also. I mean 900ish hp?  WHat's wrong with that. LOL!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
This engine had different heads and induction on it in the dragster requiring a much bigger cam to make 900ish hp. I decided to use the baby canted valve heads on it for this application as they make fantastic power with a fairly mild cam comparatively speaking. In the dragster I was running .850 approx valve lift. This motor will now have only .660 lift. On the big canted valve head ,the .660 lift cam gives a nice smooth idle at as low as 600 rpm. These Brodix canted valve heads heads are just that much better than the AFR ones. Not knocking AFR as they made a very good conventional type SBC head  also. I mean 900ish hp?  WHat's wrong with that. LOL!!

Hmmmmm...Its not 1000.  ;D
You should think about finding a different motor
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
If it had made a 1000 I could honestly say I'd ran a N/A SBC 6 second pass. LOL!!!! Best time I ever ran was 7.00/178 mph. Missed the 6 second club by a thousandth.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Well the heads are on. The heads literally have to be assembled ON THE ENGINE. It is impossible to get to the center and end head studs with the valve springs in place. A person also has to not forget to start the 4 nuts inside the lifter valley before installing any other head stud nuts or you will be taking them back off. Luckily I remembered . Don't really need that frustration.  ;D A few pics showing some of the pitfalls that a novice builder would be effed on. A few of special tools needed ,one that I had to make when I first built these type head engines 10 years ago. Have to use a correction factor when torquing the lifter valley studs. Smiley face checking piston/head/valve clearance is in there too.  8) Perfect clearance with machine work. I love it when that happens  cause it happens so rarely with the engine combinations I usually play with.  8) 8)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
Rest of 'em.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
I got a motor in a swap deal with the canted valve heads like that. The builder had welded all the rocker blocks together. I sold it without ever going deeper than the valve covers..........

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
Moroso FINALLY responded to my inquiry whether or not the could/would supply me with a dry sump pump with 2 scavenge and 2 pressure stages so I could avoid running a second small pump for the Fortin torque converter. I have a wad of drives up front as it is.  THEY DO/WILL!.  Custom shop will do it. This will save some "clutter" up front.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
I got a motor in a swap deal with the canted valve heads like that. The builder had welded all the rocker blocks together. I sold it without ever going deeper than the valve covers..........
I have no clue as to why he would have felt the need to do that. The Jesel setup is rock solid as it is. Wouldn't hurt but if ever needed on another cv head the stands would need replaced likely since no 2 cv heads are machined the same in that area. Gotta shim intake usually none to .015 and ex usually is .100".  Unless you like a real challenge it's best to not dig into these. They are fantastic hp producers and very durable but the LS stuff is ,admittedly,much easier/cheaper for most to build.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline MC

• Fabricator
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
For Dri Sump Pumps, Pans, and stuff check out Dailey, Bills a good guy, worked with him at Nissan.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »
Do you know offhand if he will do a beefier mount? I looked at his site and don't like the lightening. I will have a dual plate instead of one with the moroso I think. With that said,I have a daily single stage for the fortin trans now. I AM impressed with it's design and quality. I will give him a call Monday as I like his pulley retention method MUCH better.  It will likely boil down to price either way as I devised a secure "fix " for the Moroso pos setup years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal