Author Topic: Concerned over nunttin?  (Read 8889 times)

Offline Lance-W

Re: Concerned over nunttin?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »
Motorhome is a 35' Class A with the Triton V-10.  Other than on the hills you never know the trailer is back there.

The F-150 is a 1998 Xtracab 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton.  It's a nice heavy duty 1/2 ton not some stripped cheap 1/2 ton.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »
Motorhome is a 35' Class A with the Triton V-10.  Other than on the hills you never know the trailer is back there.

The F-150 is a 1998 Xtracab 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton.  It's a nice heavy duty 1/2 ton not some stripped cheap 1/2 ton.

Wasn't trying to imply it was a stipper, just trying to figure the tow. 

Looks like it has a max of 7700 # for that year and about 260 hp. / 350 tq.  (Assuming it is not super charged.)

My current truck has 390hp / 407tq.

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:19 AM »
They toyhauler DS had down in spring, guy he bought it from was pulling it with 1/2 ton dodge.  :o   :o
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
No offense taken, I was just trying to give you an idea of what it is like.

You're really trying to talk yourself into this aren't you :)

Wasn't trying to imply it was a stipper, just trying to figure the tow. 

Looks like it has a max of 7700 # for that year and about 260 hp. / 350 tq.  (Assuming it is not super charged.)

My current truck has 390hp / 407tq.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
No offense taken, I was just trying to give you an idea of what it is like.

You're really trying to talk yourself into this aren't you :)

I kind of am doing that. 

I would not worry about the 20' model.  Shave 1000# and less crap space for less total weight.  Can keep that weight low enough.   

The 24 might just be too big.  It's a nice rig the guy has is at a fair price.  Trying to hunt a three way on GD to put me into a 20'. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:57:38 AM »
They toyhauler DS had down in spring, guy he bought it from was pulling it with 1/2 ton dodge.  :o   :o
ASk DS about the white knuckle trip home with it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
Yum,I agree the 20 footer would tow fine. Just load it properly and drive defensively.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:32 AM »
ASk DS about the white knuckle trip home with it.
DS is chasing some front end problems in his truck. Hooked his trailer to transmans truck and it was a night and day difference. Good tires and no play in the steering. Who da thunk that would make a difference. Not to mention DS is doing 35ft on the bumper plus being 13ft tall. An enclosed pulls totally different that a camper in my experience. Campers always seem to have everything working at their max.  24ft would be fine on that Dodge. IMO.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

LiveWire

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »
I have a 24' and a 32' enclosed. The 24' is similar to the one pictured and I have pulled it behind my light duty 3/4 ton pickup and would not want to go long distances with that. Going around the block isn't going to give the feeling of heading down a steep incline with a trailer that weighs nearly what the truck does. My Excursion not only is on a heavy duty chassis, it is heavy. Putting most of you gear in the truck instead of the trailer may help. I use the load distributing hitch and don't have air bags. My thoughts on this is that the air bags will level the tow vehicle out, but still means no added weight on the front tires to help you steer when something bad happens. I bought the longest hitch I could which makes the trailer follow the to vehicle more and not clip curbs. It also gives the trailer more leverage to throw the tow vehicle around. I am considering one of the special hitches that behave like a short hitch near center then behave like a long hitch when turned sharp.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
Trying to hunt a three way on GD to put me into a 20'.

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Yum,I agree the 20 footer would tow fine. Just load it properly and drive defensively.
This right here is the key, even to riding a bike on the sidewalk.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
The anti sway bars are a GOOD and fairly effective band-aid. HAD to have them and the load assist bars also on the Surburban. That said  however,IMO, if I ever have another trailer that NEEDS the bar/s I'll sell trailer. Everyone IS clear about the diff between the sway control bars and the load assist bars ??? ??? ??? ?

Putting shocks on a trailer is one of the best things you can do. I have no idea why they don't build them with them (other than cost). Towing one before and after is like a completely different trailer.

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
And don't forget a good aftermarket trans cooler......

LiveWire

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
So this thread got me looking at hitches. The hitch I was thinking of is the Hensley Arrow. It is even more expensive than I was thinking. From what I can find, they are $2800, $2500 on sale in the fall. It turns out there is another one, basically a revised version of it designed by the same guy. They are about $2500, $2000 on eBay.

http://www.propridehitch.com/products/ProPride-3P-Trailer-Sway-Control-Hitch-.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Hensley-Arrow-Hitch-Buy-NEW-Jim-Hensley-Design-/320724495348?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aacab6bf4

I am thinking about doing something like this to save fuel:
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/2008/x_12-towing-1.html

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
Clearly there is no consensus on this topic.  Weird, some folks here and GD say they tow 24 no issues.  I am perplexed.  Well, the guy is in Oregon for a week, so I have time to think.    Would really prefer a 20.  Was thinking 22 max.  Sometimes it is best to go with first instinct. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
Reason is that a trailer is only as easy/safe to pull as your talent at loading correctly, driving skills,comfort level with pulling will allow and lastly the tow vehicle being the right capacity. Don't max out the tow truck ,say 85% max rating or so,and it will be fine. I have literally pulled for many tens of thousands of miles POS trailers that were a dream to pull and some very nice trailers that were a nightmare. To me,tow vehicle power is not as important as the ability to safely control the load. THAT depends on correctly distributing the weight. Sometimes that is not possible. If that's the case you're screwed no matter the size or what you are pulling it with unless you have a custom placed axle to allow proper balance. IMO ,99% of all trailer jack knifing is due to bad load balance.. All that said,there's nothing as scary as a wildly swaying trailer and that's why I will not chance it any more. To each his own tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal