Author Topic: Gear ratio help....  (Read 10500 times)

boltz2012

Re: Gear ratio help....
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2009, 02:12:24 AM »
Yeah im an all nighter kinda guy...and no..no religious fanatics here. ;D...although i did have alot of guns recently..

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
Doug, I said aim for 100mph in fourth on the honda.  Picking numbers out of thin air to do calcs, I think that is reasonable. Don't know if it will have enough power to do 100, but that ought to put you in the ballpark,  2nd and 3rd being the most used gears.   

With out doing the math,  If it will top out at 100 in fourth, then it should do bout 80-85 in third.  That is what Boltz mentioned for top speed.  The bonus is that if it does have the power......kick it up into fourth and let her go.  Won't know for sure till test drive time.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »
Yeah im thinking 80 to 85 max. I dont want my boy ripping down through the woods at 100. That will do him just fine in the open feilds or sand. But what you do have right boost is that i was thinking i could use the different gears in the honda tranny for different driving conditions. Also im not sure how the shifting will work. I think im gonna have to play with it a little to figure it out. Like say im doing 60 in 5th on the bike tranny and 3rd on the honda tranny and i want to go faster I could up shift the honda tranny to 5th and downshift the bike motor to like 3rd. Or maybe ill find one gear in the honda tranny that will allow me to see all the speeds i want just at different torque levels. Gonna have to play with it. Also i know the honda tranny will handle the horse and the torque just fine. But the one question i couldnt ever get the other guy to answer was if it took the rpms just fine. I mean your looking at a tranny that only ever see's 8k top's on the input shaft and now its gonna see 13k to 14k. That is a big jump. So i may shell it and have to say fook it and go with a spool set up. I tried to tell everyone about this point before they went modding a car to put a honda tranny. Let me test it out on a car that im building and if it dont work then i think it will be easier to swap to a spool than to go from a spool setup to a honda tranny setup. May handle it without so much as a hiccup. Who knows? Ill find out tho. IMO i think it will be just fine.
I suggest figuring top speed in 5th gear on the honda and 5th gear in the bike.That way you can have "underdrive" using the honda gears and use the bike tranny for primary gear changing. I'll run the numbers again today but i think 1.75:1 sprocket ratio will still give what you want. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 05:44:29 AM »
Holy shit fabr!!! I just looked and you are at 59 smites bro. Ima go ahead and maker 60 for you. I guess people have gotten into the habbit of smiting you. They get up in the morning and sit at the computer and tell themselfs I am gonna sign into DTSFAB and smite MASTERFABR and check my threads. Almost like needing a cigerate when you first wake up. You are really feeling the love.
LOL!!! It doesn't bother me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:06 AM »
2:1 sprocket ratio will give you 83 mph top speed assuming a 23" tire at an engine rpm of 14000. Remember that the honda tranny does NOT see that rpm due to the internal reduction and then the sprocket reduction ratio.      You will only be inputting 3630 rpm int the honda tranny using a 2:1 sprocket ratio. Soooo use a 16/32 sprocket setup..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2009, 06:01:36 AM »
I knew the brains would spit out a ##.  If this pans out there's gonna be a shortage of Honda trannys.  Buggy gonna have fewer RPM(input shaft), less hp(than rice racer), less torque, and lot less weight.  Should be almost bullet proof.  ??? Famous last words?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 06:08:01 AM »
Famous last words ----maybe.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 06:10:53 AM »
Before ANYONE starts nitpickin g my numbers. I round things off to simplify . They are not spot on to the last decimal point. Plenty close enough tho for comparison.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 06:12:07 AM »
I have said 2:1 all along  :) there is no need to have a gear for overdrive as you said wes, it will never pull it anyhow...

artie on edge

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 06:13:03 AM »
Before ANYONE starts nitpickin g my numbers. I round things off to simplify . They are not spot on to the last decimal point. Plenty close enough tho for comparison.

Nope...wouldnt dream of it.... cause Im too damn lazy....and I trust your abilites.... dont get used to it.....  8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2009, 06:30:50 AM »
Now that I've got you guys blessing ,LOL!!!!!!!, I wnt to throw a monkey wrench into this.I would NEVER use a sprocket ratio that will allow the same tooth to land on the same chain link timew after time after time.A wear pattern will develop and CAN cause a sprocket to waer weirdly.I'd suggest going to eith a 29 or 31 tooth sprocket for that reason.Soooo I'm still going to say APPROX 2:1 but I'd go with a 31 tooth rear sprocketgiving a sprocket ratio of 1.94:1..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 06:35:09 AM »
Now that I've got you guys blessing ,LOL!!!!!!!, I wnt to throw a monkey wrench into this.I would NEVER use a sprocket ratio that will allow the same tooth to land on the same chain link timew after time after time.A wear pattern will develop and CAN cause a sprocket to waer weirdly.I'd suggest going to eith a 29 or 31 tooth sprocket for that reason.Soooo I'm still going to say APPROX 2:1 but I'd go with a 31 tooth rear sprocketgiving a sprocket ratio of 1.94:1..

More blessings, good practise.... damn he might be getting used to it.... better smite him just to prove it aint me being nice.....

Admin

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 06:36:52 AM »
I say go 33...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
 bb: dd:
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 06:38:30 AM »
 ff:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal