Author Topic: Rear Travel  (Read 12972 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Rear Travel
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 07:42:55 PM »
If you're designing in cad, just design for the 25 degree max. But always do the physical test before welding your shock mounts in. I have an adjustable set of shock mounts that I use until I can physically cycle the cv's. (They're welded to 1 1/4 shaft collars and mimic the fixed mounts exactly.) Then I do like Yoshi, lower the mounts until i feel the cv's start to click or bind. Then raise them up 1/4", scribe their location, and weld the fixed mounts in. 
Oh ,I like that idea!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »

O?

That .817 is a negative ground clearance ...........

Where am I going wrong?
Use a tall enough tire and you can use full CV travel in bump.Be a taller tire than we will use but it can be done and still have ground clearance.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
Use a tall enough tire and you can use full CV travel in bump.Be a taller tire than we will use but it can be done and still have ground clearance.

your grasping for straws buddy...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
If you just use the binding technique you could be strapping at 30  degrees and putting new cvs on at the end of your first season.
  Cv's wear out when they are binding, if your limits are set within the cv's working angle, and you don't have straps that can stretch, your cv's will last just fine.  Doing them as I said will have the cv's running between 24 and 27 degrees.  Mine click at 28 degrees, so I have my limits set at 25.  You can not accidentally set them at too great an angle if the wheel is able to rotate smoothly, and limited to that point with a system that cannot change....

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:52:14 PM by Yoshi »

Admin

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:43 PM »
master is correct.  Just look at your rail at full bump with 3" ground clearance, you'd prob. be at around 18 or 19 degrees (example), so if you had a taller tire that allowed you to drop the frame down a couple inches, you could use more of the cv angle up without the frame hitting the ground (closer to the 24 degree area).  He's not talking about monster truck tires, the difference between a 26" tall tire and 31" tall tire is 2.5" more upward travel while having the same ground clearance, and with the same frame clearance at ride height, you have axles that are more parallel at ride height and put more power to the ground...

He said taller tire than what we use, which is typically a 31" tire, so a 35 or 37" tall ire isn't that big of a stretch, you just need more power to push it..

Really, i thought for sure he was talking monster trucks... ff: gg: gg: gg:

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »
master is correct.  Just look at your rail at full bump with 3" ground clearance, you'd prob. be at around 18 or 19 degrees (example), so if you had a taller tire that allowed you to drop the frame down a couple inches, you could use more of the cv angle up without the frame hitting the ground (closer to the 24 degree area).  He's not talking about monster truck tires, the difference between a 26" tall tire and 31" tall tire is 2.5" more upward travel while having the same ground clearance, and with the same frame clearance at ride height, you have axles that are more parallel at ride height and put more power to the ground...

He said taller tire than what we use, which is typically a 31" tire, so a 35 or 37" tall ire isn't that big of a stretch, you just need more power to push it..

WTH???? I must be dreaming!!!! Yoshi and I agreeing???

Well,hell!!!! ;D ;D We didn't totally agree. All you need is a lower rear gear. f
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »
  Cv's wear out when they are binding, if your limits are set within the cv's working angle, and you don't have straps that can stretch, your cv's will last just fine.  Doing them as I said will have the cv's running between 24 and 27 degrees.  Mine click at 28 degrees, so I have my limits set at 25.  You can not accidentally set them at too great an angle if the wheel is able to rotate smoothly, and limited to that point with a system that cannot change....

I was only stating a good way to make shure you are gettin a true angle from the cv and not just leveling out the car.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
WTH???? I must be dreaming!!!! Yoshi and I agreeing???

Well,hell!!!! ;D ;D We didn't totally agree. All you need is a lower rear gear. f
now now, don't go ruining our moment.  There are other ways to acomplish the same thing, but the discussion was about being able to use bigger tires to do it.  Other possibilities were not ruled out...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 09:19:19 PM »
So far as I'm concerned that is at the very least the only way to do a final and definitive check.It removes all variables of measuring.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 09:34:02 PM »
So far as I'm concerned that is at the very least the only way to do a final and definitive check.It removes all variables of measuring.

Hey we agree on something too! ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 09:57:59 PM »
Damn it's been a good night!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
Hey engineer. Also keep in mind that many times your oil pan hangs lower than the trans does so dont base your bottom of frame on the trans. Unless thats a pic of a fnr.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal