Author Topic: Concerned over nunttin?  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Concerned over nunttin?
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:49 AM »
So, planning on getting rid of the open car hauler.  Might just be a day tripper for a few years and stay in hotels.   You know - running water and a real bed.   Girl is good with no toilet for day trips and we know lots of folks so in camp she can pee no issues. 

Was going to pick up a 20 / 22' foot enclosed.  Found a guy that wants to trade my open hauler plus my cash for a 24'.   Truck is rated for just over 10k on the tow weight.  If I had my 1 ton - no brainer, but with the half ton, I have some concern.  Don't get me wrong, the extra space would be good. 

Figure weight distribution / sway hitch (Have you all checked the price of them lately?  Absurd).  Dry weight is reported to be just around 4k.  Buggy, etc would get at 7 / 7.5k.  Should I stick with 20'?  Depending on the model it can be  about 1k less on the dry weight.  (Same model shaves about 100 pound per foot or 400#)

Any experience headed where I want to be?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

nagel

Re: Concerned over nunttin?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:26:57 AM »
I'll take the camaro for safe keeping..  That should shave off a few thousand pounds too! ;)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
I see alot of half tons pulling more.  Just go nut's with all the 70's and stuff.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »
How safe you want to be?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »
How safe you want to be?

Depends; are we talking about sex with a crack ho or towing a trailer?   

Seems to me the biggest part of safety is the driver.  We have all seen the guys ripping across at 80 mph clearly overloaded, etc.    I am just trying to figure if the extra size would be too much. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 06:33:09 AM »
To me its all about brakeing.  Pulling dont me crap if you cant stop it.  With a weight dist hitch and good breaks, the extra 400lbs probably never be noticed.  Now the extra 4' you'll know, especially 4' from the crack ho. ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:44:45 AM »
If the trailer has brakes on both axles and you have a good controller I don't see any problem.  Just add a second anti sway bar.  My dad pulled a 30 foot Jayco all over the USA with a half ton with two anti sways.  I'll say that it weighed what your going to weight and then some.  Mon had steamer trunks that she would fill with every thing from the house and fill the back of the pickup and the trailer with them.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:30 AM »
Depends; are we talking about sex with a crack ho or towing a trailer?   

Seems to me the biggest part of safety is the driver.  We have all seen the guys ripping across at 80 mph clearly overloaded, etc.    I am just trying to figure if the extra size would be too much.
For years I pulled a 24' enclosed with a 1/2 ton Surburban. I consider myself a fairly safe driver,don't speed with the trailer,don't tailgate. Would I ever do it again? Nope. Carl's points are good IMO.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »
IMHO towing that trailer with a 1/2 ton is too much.  We have a 16ft enclosed (4k) with the buggy, 660 quad and 1 motorcycle in it and I move it around with my F-150 when I'm hooking it up to the motorhome.  I would not want to tow it with the F-150 on the freeway with the trailer fully loaded.  The truck REALLY feels the weight from the trailer.  Plus you would have to buy extended mirrors because a 102.5 wide trailer is too wide and you can't see around it with a standard stock set of mirrors.

Go ask the guy if you can hook it up to your half ton and take it down the block.  You'll instantly understand what I'm trying to convey as soon as you step on the gas to get the thing to move.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:54:37 AM »
The anti sway bars are a GOOD and fairly effective band-aid. HAD to have them and the load assist bars also on the Surburban. That said  however,IMO, if I ever have another trailer that NEEDS the bar/s I'll sell trailer. Everyone IS clear about the diff between the sway control bars and the load assist bars ??????????
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:30 AM »
IMHO towing that trailer with a 1/2 ton is too much.  We have a 16ft enclosed (4k) with the buggy, 660 quad and 1 motorcycle in it and I move it around with my F-150 when I'm hooking it up to the motorhome.  I would not want to tow it with the F-150 on the freeway with the trailer fully loaded.  The truck REALLY feels the weight from the trailer.  Plus you would have to buy extended mirrors because a 102.5 wide trailer is too wide and you can't see around it with a standard stock set of mirrors.

Go ask the guy if you can hook it up to your half ton and take it down the block.  You'll instantly understand what I'm trying to convey as soon as you step on the gas to get the thing to move.
+1
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:06 AM »
You will be fine towing it. One of the guys that comes down with us tows a 24 H&H enclosed with a rail and 3 or 4 bikes in it plus gear. GMC 5.3 whit quad steer. He put air bags and a eg hitch on and it did fine for years. He has gone to a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 GMC. He said he noticed the power gain and just a tad more stability. But his 1/2 tons had light duty tires and the 3/4 has the range E's. Just keep a heavier load tire on the truck and use your head.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:10:57 PM by Dunebound69 »
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »
Huh here I was looking for THE answer.  Maybe it is too big.   Gonna have to ponder.  Wonder why Dodge would list the  truck at 10,450?  (Depends on gears, yep, the truck has the right gears.)

Towing[1]:
5000 lbs - std
10,450 lbs - max
Payload[1]:
1670 lbs - max

Not too worried on the mirrors - extenders are cheap and brake controller is needed for the current trailer.     

I like the idea of 20' at 1k less.   Just have to find a cash buyer for my car hauler......

Lance, most class "C" motorhomes are rated less than the new trucks.  Any details here?  Type of motorhome year of F150? The 2x4 2011 with 5.0 is at 8,300#'s. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »
Huh here I was looking for THE answer.  Maybe it is too big.   Gonna have to ponder.  Wonder why Dodge would list the  truck at 10,450?  (Depends on gears, yep, the truck has the right gears.)

Towing[1]:
5000 lbs - std

10,450 lbs - max
Payload[1]:
1670 lbs - max

Not too worried on the mirrors - extenders are cheap and brake controller is needed for the current trailer.     

I like the idea of 20' at 1k less.   Just have to find a cash buyer for my car hauler......

Lance, most class "C" motorhomes are rated less than the new trucks.  Any details here?  Type of motorhome year of F150? The 2x4 2011 with 5.0 is at 8,300#'s.
Pay attention to that and you will be a happy man. ;) ;) Just saying.......................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »

Towing[1]:
5000 lbs - std
10,450 lbs - max
Payload[1]:
1670 lbs - max

Live by that and you will be disappointed. Just my .02. Everyone will have a different opinion on this and in the end is a personal preference thing.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal