Author Topic: Lets talk TURBOS  (Read 9879 times)

Offline Yoshi

Re: Lets talk TURBOS
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 07:27:36 AM »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 07:38:07 AM »
I think there is three groups that things fall into.

"track only" or "offroad use only"
"street legal"
"daily driver"

Most bikes or cars that have a modified power plant actually fall into the "track only" category, but are still driven on the street because of one's own "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
I have to agree. I raced for a very long time and not once did I street race nor did I feel the need to have a race car on the street. BUT some do and yes there are 1000HP cars "street legal". The track is for racing .The street is for transportation.Seems pretty simple to me.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »
I build what the customer wants, and i've been trying to get a hold of Scott at heads up for a few weeks but he never answers or returns his calls.  I bought the entire kit from him, almost a 9k sale at my cost, asked him everything I would need for a good reliable setup and he never even recommended an inter cooler, even though i've asked if I needed one in the past.  I'm trying to get a hold of him so I can specifically ask his opinion about it.

I've talked to some other people in the know and they said I don't need one for what i'm wanting.  I can't get as much hp, but i'm not trying to, the turbo kit I got is capable of at least a 100 more hp than i'm using it for, and even then it won't be used that high for long periods of time, it will be at least 200 hp less majority of the time than what it is capable of.  

I see the advantage of the inter cooler if your trying to get every hp possible out of your motor, but for my intentions, and what we are asking out of the turbo, I think it may be ok without the inter cooler, but as I said, i'm trying to get a hold of Scott now.

I'm very interested in what he says. FWIW,lowering the intake charge temperature will drastically reduce the tendency of the engine to detonate.To me that's all that matters.We usually run these things in the heat and if running with any boost at all possible detonation is what will kill the engine. To me the intercooler is just another layer of cheap insurance.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »
I'm very interested in what he says. FWIW,lowering the intake charge temperature will drastically reduce the tendency of the engine to detonate.To me that's all that matters.We usually run these things in the heat and if running with any boost at all possible detonation is what will kill the engine. To me the intercooler is just another layer of cheap insurance.
I agree it can't hurt anything, and have some concerns since it has been brought up, so i'll talk to the guy that has built over 100 turbo kits for busa powered sandrails and get his take.  If he says I need it (which I think he would have said that in the first place when I was dropping 9k on a kit from him and he coulda got more money selling me one) then I will run one if I can talk the customer into it........

I only make a few hundred on the turbo kit if i'm lucky, and soon as my motor builder got the motor apart to install the parts, the crank was bad, so I stuck a brand new crank in there and didn't charge the customer for it since it wasn't his fault, i'm already in the hole for this motor build as is, it's the customers choice whether or not he wants to pay for the cooler at this point IF it's recommended by the builder of the turbo kit for reliability......

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 08:37:01 AM »
Builders and component suppliers will many times NOT suggest more items.WHY? Because they want to make the sale,the minimum  and unfortunately they do so because of the fear that a few hundred bux more will be a deal breaker. I'd ask the  supplier if HE would personally go without an intercooler or use of another method of controlling the intake air temps .FWIW I DO feel that an intercooler is not absolutely necessary at 5-8 pounds boost. But I think above that it's just cheap insurance for a $9K engine.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:38:59 AM by Masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:06 AM »
Builders and component suppliers will many times NOT suggest more items.WHY? Because they want to make the sale,the minimum  and unfortunately they do so because of the fear that a few hundred bux more will be a deal breaker. I'd ask the  supplier if HE would personally go without an intercooler or use of another method of controlling the intake air temps .FWIW I DO feel that an intercooler is not absolutely necessary at 5-8 pounds boost. But I think above that it's just cheap insurance for a $9K engine.

+1
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »
I see the advantage of the inter cooler if your trying to get every hp possible out of your motor, but for my intentions, and what we are asking out of the turbo, I think it may be ok without the inter cooler

That's what I thought....

Really though, an intercooler is not that expensive to add in.  Best to do it right the first time. 
Anymore, I believe any turbo/supercharger setup requires an intercooler.  I don't believe it can hurt.
This post has been edited due to content.

trojan

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
I believe any turbo/supercharger setup requires an intercooler. 

Agreed, to that I would add:
Heavy duty reciprocating parts (obviously)
Fuel injection
boost control
A real ECU (and sensors)
Blow off valve

All of these items can be ignored/bodged and still work, but it will be to the engine's perril.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 06:44:59 AM »
IMO only,that's a maybe -maybe not statement.I don't disagree  in the least that all those things should be done to get the very best results but depending on what your goals are may not be absolutely necessary. Many ,many people get great results otherwise.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 06:55:19 AM »
IMO only,that's a maybe -maybe not statement.I don't disagree  in the least that all those things should be done to get the very best results but depending on what your goals are may not be absolutely necessary. Many ,many people get great results otherwise.

I know I'm going to catch shi%%%%%%t for this BUT the lolly little Corvair 180 turbo put out 180 HP with only 164 CI air cooled NO inter cooler NO blow off valve NO waste gate One single carburetor and in a 2800 LB car.  At 8 PSI of boost. And many of them went 80 to 90 thousend miles before dieing. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

trojan

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »
my 122 ci (2L) gets 200hp at all 4 wheels.... with all the trimmings. got 167k miles (260km)  on it and still going strong.
Thanks for illustrating my point ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »
    I know I'm going to catch shi%%%%%%t for this BUT the lolly little Corvair 180 turbo put out 180 HP with only 164 CI air cooled NO inter cooler NO blow off valve NO waste gate One single carburetor and in a 2800 LB car.  At 8 PSI of boost. And many of them went 80 to 90 thousend miles before dieing. 
I was waiting for SOMEONE to point that out.  Blowoffs,boost controllers and such are necessary SOMETIMES but not always especially if the turbo is sized right for the application. blow off valves are really only for the good of the turbo itself.Boost controllers are great for those of us that want varying max boost levels.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trojan

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Blow offs do two things. 1) aid with minimising cavitation of the air at the compressor. 2) minimise run  on when lifting off the throttle with good boost developed.
Boost controllers are not strictly required. They maximise the boost as early as possible and help prevent boost spikes. So in effect they make the most of what the turbo can physically offer.
The expensive controllers you are referring to Fab like you say also allow varying max levels.

btw I run 16 psi, so it's twice as hard for more than twice as long... with less capacity and more power ;)

Like I said it will work the old school way but you wont be doing anyone, including the motor, any favours.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »

I agree that is pretty impressive especially given when they were doing that. Any idea on the torque of the same motor? (Also the weight?)

Just for my curiosity I converted the 164CI and thats a 2700cc engine.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
Blow offs do two things. 1) aid with minimising cavitation of the air at the compressor. 2) minimise run  on when lifting off the throttle with good boost developed.
Boost controllers are not strictly required. They maximise the boost as early as possible and help prevent boost spikes. So in effect they make the most of what the turbo can physically offer.
The expensive controllers you are referring to Fab like you say also allow varying max levels.

btw I run 16 psi, so it's twice as hard for more than twice as long... with less capacity and more power ;)

Like I said it will work the old school way but you wont be doing anyone, including the motor, any favours.

I also thought that blowoffs help keep the impeller speed high so when you get back in it after backing off right away the impeller does not have to spin up so much.

Or is that what you meant by the minimising cavitation?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal