Author Topic: WOW new 091 from Weddle Ind.  (Read 5620 times)

artie on edge

Re: WOW new 091 from Weddle Ind.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »

Tops on the list is the reverse gear.
Fallowed closely by the keyed gears.
Third would be the case.

Spot on analysis  ;D

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »
I would have to agree that reverse is the weakest but the next thing that usually lets go in one of these is second. That is because most off road vehicles are in second 85% of the time. There are no keyways in these or any 091. The keyed fourth went away in the last years of the swingaxles and the one on the mainshaft that drives 3-4 was changed to a spline 4 years before the 091 went into production. We don't see many case failures in the bus. The biggest advantage of the aluminium case is it is much more rigid and will keep the ring&pinion alive longer.
If you can use a stock geared bus then this is a good deal. The guy's at Weddle are awesome! I've dealt with them for 25 years. Straight shooters! These trannies were used in buses that came with either a water cooled diesel or a rabbit/jetta type engine that made between 50 and 100 HP.
If you want to use them as a starting point for a high performance trans then they are not such a deal. The 457 ring&pinion is noticeably stronger,you need to change all the gears and add a 4 spider diff with chromoly cover,and you need a bellhousing and input shaft(assuming your not making something totally custom like Masterfabr). So you end up only using the case,intermediate housing,nosecone and stock stuff like bearings,syncros,forks. All good quality stuff but you will have paid a premium for it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 05:45:45 AM »
Great info .Thanks.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 06:05:23 AM »
Arizona,if a person wanted to buy these with  all Weddle custom 1-4 ratios and a Weddle R&P along with all other internals such as bearings ,forks,synchros,etc. what would it run? Would they be available that way? Of course I wouldn't need a bellhousing and input shaft. I also would want the strongest 3,4 and R&P they offer.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »
I would have to agree that reverse is the weakest but the next thing that usually lets go in one of these is second. That is because most off road vehicles are in second 85% of the time. There are no keyways in these or any 091. The keyed fourth went away in the last years of the swingaxles and the one on the mainshaft that drives 3-4 was changed to a spline 4 years before the 091 went into production. We don't see many case failures in the bus. The biggest advantage of the aluminium case is it is much more rigid and will keep the ring&pinion alive longer.
If you can use a stock geared bus then this is a good deal. The guy's at Weddle are awesome! I've dealt with them for 25 years. Straight shooters! These trannies were used in buses that came with either a water cooled diesel or a rabbit/jetta type engine that made between 50 and 100 HP.
If you want to use them as a starting point for a high performance trans then they are not such a deal. The 457 ring&pinion is noticeably stronger,you need to change all the gears and add a 4 spider diff with chromoly cover,and you need a bellhousing and input shaft(assuming your not making something totally custom like Masterfabr). So you end up only using the case,intermediate housing,nosecone and stock stuff like bearings,syncros,forks. All good quality stuff but you will have paid a premium for it.

Thanks Bill.  I think you answered most all the questions we had about this 091 deal. 

BTW got to talk to your old ferind Dan last night.  He's doing good in sunny California. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »
I can build you the best of the best 091 with Weddle ring&pinion and aluminium housings for around $4000. outright.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 02:19:48 PM »
Does that include a bellhousing and input shaft? If so for my needs I wouldn't need them.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »
Just inquiring for future needs.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
No but I would throw in a magnesium one if someone wanted one

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »

Bill
Can the ali case be bought my it's self? and if so how much?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
4K for the unit complete less bh and input correct? 4 spider diff and all?Sounding pretty good to me.Thanks again for the info.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
A brand new aluminium case is $600

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »
A brand new aluminium case is $600

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal