Author Topic: Casting Aluminium (not aluminum, you yanks just cant spell gooder!!!!)  (Read 41165 times)

b.c.bugger

OK - for full disclosure.......   that is not in his album - just some random image i pulled from the web......  just me jacking with folks - its what i do......
ok, fess up, that's actually a picture of the plaything yummi keeps locked up in the basement

The dude in a dress in my album was a buddy on his stag night, honest! It was a lil bit cold for him so we gave him a beaver pelt to tie around his tallywhacker
Thanks for the tips yum, but I'm 99% sure I did exactly what you just said, but for some reason it posted a link to the whole album?

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
nope, you selected the wrong code from photo bucket  - no biggie, try again.......?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

b.c.bugger

there we go, was hitting the wrong link :-[

Admin

So who is supporting the tatoo? ;D

b.c.bugger

ok, I got nothin to hide, just so nobody feels left out here's buddy on his stag night. If you still think he's cute artie I might be able to arrange a lil sit down for ya. He's married now but I hear they're "into trying new things"

b.c.bugger

anyways artie, the uhmw slider idea will likely work pretty good for you, just keep an eye on it, if they get hot the plastic tends to melt. A friend of mine had an aftermarket chaincase with a uhmw slide on his sled and he had to take it apart and replace the slide nearly every ride. In most sleds though the exhaust is literally right beside the chaincase under the hood, so you probably won't get the same amount of heat in yours as he did

artie on edge

you sure you still got the boys?

are you expecting a pucture as proof Yum yum? Hmmm.... is teh VIP site really secure... ::)

artie on edge

I think so, and I did say it was nylon but in reality it looks and feels like bakelite. Im not sure of that the one I got my hands on was an oldie just to see if it would fit. Im about to order a newy. Its a cam chain tensioner from a nissan with the extra mount points ground off.

artie on edge

Question, even though it may seem strange, bear with me....

What aluminium alloy is used in the construction of CO2 fire extinguisher bodies?

All I can find is that it is "a high tensile aluminium alloy" naturally that tells me jack crap...I want to know WHAT alloy it is.

I was given a heap of condemned bodies. They are 10mm thick on the sides and around 20 on the base and neck.

This means I have LOTS and LOTS of aluminium in stock. Ive already cut 2 up and turned them into ingots. 1 body has enough metal to make 3 of my final drive housings.

Its very hard, has bugger all shrink back and molds to a much finer finish than the soft stuff I have used in past. It also 'rings' like a bell, REALLY loudly when struck with a hammer. While I had the foundry fired up I made 2 ingots of 'normal' aluminium  so I could compare the differin gmaterials in teh same form. Its obviously of a much higher quality and as I seem to haev a ready supplly, Id like to know what it actually is.....

Anytakers?

b.c.bugger

it's likely 6061, but honestly I couldn't tell you for certain

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
it's likely 6061, but honestly I couldn't tell you for certain

Ifen it rings when hit with a hammer then it mite be something harder like 7075T351 or T451.  I don't think that 6061 would ring unless it was a T651 or better. And that would make it to brittle for that application. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Use PEEK for the tensioner.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Question, even though it may seem strange, bear with me....

What aluminium alloy is used in the construction of CO2 fire extinguisher bodies?

All I can find is that it is "a high tensile aluminium alloy" naturally that tells me jack crap...I want to know WHAT alloy it is.

I was given a heap of condemned bodies. They are 10mm thick on the sides and around 20 on the base and neck.

This means I have LOTS and LOTS of aluminium in stock. Ive already cut 2 up and turned them into ingots. 1 body has enough metal to make 3 of my final drive housings.

Its very hard, has bugger all shrink back and molds to a much finer finish than the soft stuff I have used in past. It also 'rings' like a bell, REALLY loudly when struck with a hammer. While I had the foundry fired up I made 2 ingots of 'normal' aluminium  so I could compare the differin gmaterials in teh same form. Its obviously of a much higher quality and as I seem to haev a ready supplly, Id like to know what it actually is.....

Anytakers?

WARNING!!!!
Some people may need a disclaimer here, to remind them to remove the contents and the valve before throwing their fire extinguisher into the fire to melt it down.  ;D

artie on edge

WARNING!!!!
Some people may need a disclaimer here, to remind them to remove the contents and the valve before throwing their fire extinguisher into the fire to melt it down.  ;D

Damn.. I never thought of that... I wondered why the molten metal went all over the walls (and me)....  :P  ;D  ;D  ;D

artie on edge

Use PEEK for the tensioner.

Sorry mate, dip shit aussie...whats PEEK?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal