Author Topic: I want it i need it.....its time  (Read 40139 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: I want it i need it.....its time
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2024, 04:56:39 PM »
cool!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2024, 08:51:52 PM »
Got the other side fitted tonight

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2024, 02:14:13 PM »
Unfortunately this is the only location the new tank can go. Not happy with it . If the frame was 1" longer the rear frame angle wouldn't be an issue. Have lft the rear of the tank 2" to clear the starter. Tank will have to be removed to change the starter. Will also have to add some hydra mat due to the angle. Not upset about the hydra mat, should make a great pre filter. Its either this or back to an aluminum round tank. Really need a new frame stretched 1' . This was built for a bike engine.  This location will make wheelies a little easier when one considers 15 gals of fuel back there. The wing trunk will have to be raised or re made altogether as well. Radiator placement will have to be higher then before.also wanted to merge the intercooler with the radiator. Not an issue but was hoping to keep the heavy items low in the car. If a custom tank wasn't soooo expensive I would mount it behind the seat.

Thoughts???..

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 02:17:57 PM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2024, 02:19:07 PM »
The wing will cover a lot of the ugly look up imo but still  :m

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2024, 03:14:44 PM »
Custom tank with PEX liner/bladder.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2024, 03:24:42 PM »
Custom tank with PEX liner/bladder.

Racers choice and one other shop said $1k to $1500 to make a 1 off. Thats just not in the cards right now. So either the pex tank or the spun tank goes back on.

Honest opinion, I don't have feelings that can be hurt  :nw :m

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:26:48 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2024, 06:15:02 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2024, 09:34:31 PM »
Honest opinion is you send me the modified tank and I'll take it to the rotoformer for PEX. If you think you might be interested in that route I'll confirm they will still do it. IIRC it was 200 bux a few years ago, Probably more now but I'd bet a lot less than 1-1.5K   You can use fill plate and sender over. Just need to make a cheap cover plate for the holes.  Notch the tank so it fits over the starter.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 09:37:48 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2024, 09:00:58 AM »
Honest opinion is you send me the modified tank and I'll take it to the rotoformer for PEX. If you think you might be interested in that route I'll confirm they will still do it. IIRC it was 200 bux a few years ago, Probably more now but I'd bet a lot less than 1-1.5K   You can use fill plate and sender over. Just need to make a cheap cover plate for the holes.  Notch the tank so it fits over the starter.

I would be interested.  There is no modifying any current tank. I would have to make a cardboard templates that fits behind the seats, have one made out of aluminum and then have it rotomolded.  No issues with a remote fill neck, i can buy the replacement tops with an fittings from racers choice. Not sure how that process works exactly. I asked the racers choice guy and he makes molds, then casts off the molds. The mold is the expensive part. I do not remember the other company but their web site states custom tanks. Just as expensive as racers choice. Been considering  making a cardboard templates and having a custom ss tank made .  I'd feel better with a pex lined tank but ss would be safer then aluminum.  The current tank can be mounted as seen in the pics. Looks bad  but it fits at that angle. The round tank can go back in until I can get a custom tank made too. Having one made is my only option. I am tolerating welding to finish this project and barely. Using a new better helmet that does help too! Diff color screen and that made a difference. After what I welded sun my eye was dry and a small pull on it. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:15:31 AM by dsrace »

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2024, 09:35:04 AM »
What brand/ type of welding helmet did you get? 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2024, 10:34:12 AM »
What brand/ type of welding helmet did you get?

Don't laugh  :m
I bought it 5 or 6 years ago. My other one was sprayed with some slag and it hit the inside and danced on the inner lens. I cleaned it up and keep the shields replaced. The old on has 3 settings, a titanium bluish purplish color lens when off, a green hue when on and while welding. Reminds me of the green color in glass coated with a solar deflecting.  For that reason i kept it at #10 darkness which is to bright for most people. i simply cannot see what im welding at any darker setting. Any Darker setting and i had to get so close to what i was welding it killed outer cover quick. It was a Miller auto darkening I bought apprx 15 to 18 years ago. When I purchased the new millmatic welder, I got a $100 voucher. They had new Miller helmets with a slightly larger view screens, about an inch taller and wider. 4 corner sensors and 4 settings. Didnt like the fact they use large dia watch like batteries either. The color is far better for myself, so much I can run it at #12 on darkness and still see well.  There is a 3rd strap across the head with its own adjustment, more comfortable and the helmet itself covers a tad more of my bald head down lower under the chin. I don't have any pics nor do I know the brand, but I can look tonight.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2024, 11:03:15 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2024, 11:47:05 AM »
I have a speedglas auto dark. Obsolete now but has only needed new button batteries 1 time in 15+years. I keep good/clean inner and outer lenses . Very compact and close fitting to the head for excellent tight space use.  Save-phase also makes one that was almost identical to our save-phace masks. Very close fitting.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal