Author Topic: Hello All....  (Read 4734 times)

boltz2012

Hello All....
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
Hi, My name is John and i live in TX. Been working on a neverending buggy for the last 2 years. Was about to give up but was inspired to keep it going by members of this page who were at another site. So I'm up and running again and will be starting over from scratch. Gonna build a rear carrier out of Honda Civic parts so if anyone here has any knowledge on it send it my way.
   Thanks,
    John

P.S. Every one have fun and be safe.

Admin

Re: Hello All....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »
Hi, My name is John and i live in TX. Been working on a neverending buggy for the last 2 years. Was about to give up but was inspired to keep it going by members of this page who were at another site. So I'm up and running again and will be starting over from scratch. Gonna build a rear carrier out of Honda Civic parts so if anyone here has any knowledge on it send it my way.
   Thanks,
    John

I was waiting to see your name in the registration... ;D

borris

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 06:11:48 PM »
   Thanks,
    John

We're really glad you decided to carry on and hope you'll be a frequent visitor here.Glad also our words helped influence you to keep going.You won't regret it.
  There's an old saying (actually I made it up ::)): "There's no such thing as a stupid question UNLESS you ask it AFTER you already screwed the thing up." ;D Please ask all the questions you wish and don't be afraid of asking for explanations if you don't understand.That's what the site is for!

There's a member at MBN that has a good bit of info about the (I think) civic usage.Name is arrowhead. He doesn't like one of us here but you might try to coax him here so we all could get a look. I think he's got a pretty good thing going. He's already a member here.

boltz2012

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
Yep you know im in. If it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt have a buggy project right now :'(.  So here i am. Going to kick it off again only with a different veiw point and no deadline on finishing it. I think i have everything it will take. A quad for the front suspension..a Gsxr 600 for the power plant and a riding lawn mower for the rear end. Oh and some rebar for the cage and frame.... ;D ;D ;D Just kidding bout the mower and rebar. I just seen a post on another site where you and master told a guy he needed to rethink safty. It was so efin funny. ;D ;D

Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
were is the buggy in the pics now? are you junking it, or rebuilding it? or selling it?

boltz2012

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
Thanks borris. I tried to talk to arrowhead over at MBN but didn't get a reply to my questions. Did hear back from Jay on the topic though as he has built what I'm looking for. Will try to get him to give me the low down on it though as I'm interested to see how he uses both transmissions together without lugging it real bad. Because i think i have everything here at the house to do it like him. If built your a-arms are built to the spec of the axle for a certain year model civic you could buy axles off the shelf and they would bolt right in. Right? Just a thought.

boltz2012

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
Im going to keep it. Only suspend its end until i have a better idea of whats going on and know where it is headed. It will
work someday only with a bigger power plant and maybe the whole civic tranny like arrowhead used. Im going to try to
talk to him and figure out exactly how he did it. So in going to start from scratch. Learn, then revive my old project with
better understanding.

borris

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »
Haven't really given that thought but I would think so at first glance anyway. I'm sure there's some member that has a better answer than I.Let's see what crops up.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »
jay didnt use the whole trans, just the final drive "diff"...Shifter did the same thing a long time ago with a vw diff....All arrowhead did, is take clutch "Im pretty sure" and machined out the splined section, then he welded a sprocket adaptor to it, and supported the shaft at the end off it with a bearing...

boltz2012

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »
But how would you shift with two transmissoions?

borris

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
You run the auto tranny in just one gear.Whichever is most appropriate for where you are.Higher gears for MPH and lower gears for trails and such. You don't shift the auto tranny all the time,only the bike engine does normal shifting.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
the trans concept is just in place of a gear box, f n r, I see no reason to ever have to shift the car trans once you find optimum gearing...

borris

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »

boltz2012

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
I was thinking he used a manual tranny. DUH!! Thought never crossed my mind that it was an auto tranny. I rather like that idea and may research it as Honda tranny's will handle allot of hp. I'm pushing 650hp through a stock manual tranny right now. They are tough. And the axles are equally tough. May explore that and see bout it. May catalog it the whole way and keep it updated and maybe you guys will post it as a how to. Should be easy to mount seeing as how I'm building a new frame for it so i can make room for it. Hey just a thought. If he used a auto tranny? How did he make it work with a torque converter? You would think a manual would be easier to hook up. Hmmm. I am determined now to figure this out as i am curious as to how he did this. Ahh...now that i think about it. You could do it with an automatic by omitting the torque converter and doing like bug said and using the splined center of the clutch for a manual tranny that fits the splines. With the bell housing cut off the tranny its allot smaller than normal. Almost compairable to the RPM tranny. And the added bonus is you could get it with limited slit diff and reverse all in one small affordable package. Something to think about. Let me know what you guys think about this idea.. I'm headed home from work and will look at some stuff when i get home and see if i can get this figured out. See you guys in a bit.

SPEC

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 04:33:59 AM »
Welcome Boltz,
Glad to see you made it...
Sounds like things are looking up, and your in the right place to get it up and running

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal