Author Topic: rear hub bearing carrier  (Read 4844 times)

LiveWire

Re: rear hub bearing carrier
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
You can also use a bearing that is two tapered rollers together as one piece:

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=1561.0

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »

That would be to easy. 

Hope you got some extremely accurate tools for making those crush sleeves...  Maybe a soft material like alum would be a good idea so you could actually make the sleeves long and then torque down on the nut to crush them till the bearings are right. That would allow you to torque them just a bit more as the bearings wear without dissasembly.

Fabr is right......  If your crush sleeve crushes, game over.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »
With tapered bearings, .001" here or there is going to make a big difference in preload.  With a 1" or so nut, 275 ft lbs of torque is actually applying many thousand lbs of pressure to the hub and crush sleeve.  A force not likely to be repeated during rough driving.  Tapered bearings themselves really don't need much for preload, that's why I say use a crush sleeve that can be crushed with torquing the nut.  In my mind, I'm thinking that the sleeve should just start to crush as you approach full torque on the nut.  So you can sneak up on the amount of preload, but still have a very solid surface for the hub to seat against.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »

I would think that on a heavy car, those bearings would be too close together to handle the abuse.  Even if the bearings survive, the carrier they are mounted in might not (tolerance wise).  The farther you can spread the bearings out at the wheel, the better off you'll be.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
With tapered bearings, .001" here or there is going to make a big difference in preload.  With a 1" or so nut, 275 ft lbs of torque is actually applying many thousand lbs of pressure to the hub and crush sleeve.  A force not likely to be repeated during rough driving.  Tapered bearings themselves really don't need much for preload, that's why I say use a crush sleeve that can be crushed with torquing the nut.  In my mind, I'm thinking that the sleeve should just start to crush as you approach full torque on the nut.  So you can sneak up on the amount of preload, but still have a very solid surface for the hub to seat against.
Not how it works my man.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

chrishallett83

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
The full-floating driven hubs on the trucks I used to work on didn't use a crush sleeve. You torqued the primary nut up until you got slightly less than the preload you wanted, then you reefed the lock nut up tight and located the locking collar. Doing the locking nut up tight jammed up against the primary nut, taking up the freeplay in the thread and gave you the exact preload you wanted. When you first start out it takes a couple of goes of doing it and re-doing it, but you get a feel for it quick smart.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
Same as a front spindle on most cars. This is trying to compare apples to oranges.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »
That would be to easy. 
Nah, this would be too easy:

I would think that on a heavy car, those bearings would be too close together to handle the abuse.  Even if the bearings survive, the carrier they are mounted in might not (tolerance wise).  The farther you can spread the bearings out at the wheel, the better off you'll be.

I would say a full size Ford or Chevy 4x4 truck is pretty heavy and has no gap just like the bearings pictured above. The bearings in the first post I linked to are used in a production Busa powered two seater among other things.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal