Author Topic: Hello from New Brunswick  (Read 4997 times)

joemazzy

Hello from New Brunswick
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
I want to say hello to everyone out there, I'm a 39 yr old Millwright from New Brunswick Canada. I'm about to begin my first build, the barracuda! wish me luck!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Hello from New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
We DO wish you luck. If you have ANY problems,there are some of the very best cuda builders in the world on here. Ready,willing and able to help!!!! Welcome to the site. fabr
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

joemazzy

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »
We DO wish you luck. If you have ANY problems,there are some of the very best cuda builders in the world on here. Ready,willing and able to help!!!! Welcome to the site. fabr

Thanks Fabr! looking forward to seeing the boys at maritime pressure works down in Halifax, they're gonna do my bending so this can get off to a good start!  just to be safe, I'd like to ask you if  1.66" od x .100  and 1.05" od x .100 tube would be ok for the chassis? it doesn't cost much so, is it too good to be true?

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »
1.66" may be a little large, but the 1.05" should be fine. The plans call for 1.00". I used 1.25" on mine and didn't have a problem other than changing the location of a couple tabs in the front for suspension, but that was an oversight on my part. You'll have to make some changes to the front a-arm mounts to compensate for different tube sizes. 1.05" would be negligible though. 

If it's free then make it work. That would probably save you $600-$700 in NM with the price of steel right now.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
welcome to the sight and post plenty of pics along with questions. main thing to remember is never get frustrated! lol  there are soooo many on this site that can help figure out pretty much any problem you encounter. i/we look forward to watching the build!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 05:38:36 AM »
Good to see another build kicking off.  Be patient with your build, try to do it right the first time. Speaking if time; time can save you money, money can save you time.  Time is much harder to make.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:47:12 AM »
Thanks Fabr! looking forward to seeing the boys at maritime pressure works down in Halifax, they're gonna do my bending so this can get off to a good start!  just to be safe, I'd like to ask you if  1.66" od x .100  and 1.05" od x .100 tube would be ok for the chassis? it doesn't cost much so, is it too good to be true?

The 1.66" will cause you some problems where things come together as well as in some of the tighter bends (like the nose).  The 1.05" will work for most of the suspension arms as well as the majority of the cross bracing.  Personally I would not try to make the 1.66" work.  Overall the tube is one of the less expensive parts of the build.  Buy some 1.25".   In the U.S. the tube for the entire buggy usually costs about 500-600 dollars.  When you compare that to the price of the shocks and the springs at $500 a corner the tube is nothing.  Start saving now for the Shocks, Springs, Motor, Tires, and Wheels.  Those are your most expensive items.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
The 1.66" will cause you some problems where things come together as well as in some of the tighter bends (like the nose).  The 1.05" will work for most of the suspension arms as well as the majority of the cross bracing.  Personally I would not try to make the 1.66" work.  Overall the tube is one of the less expensive parts of the build.  Buy some 1.25".   In the U.S. the tube for the entire buggy usually costs about 500-600 dollars.  When you compare that to the price of the shocks and the springs at $500 a corner the tube is nothing.  Start saving now for the Shocks, Springs, Motor, Tires, and Wheels.  Those are your most expensive items.

lance is right on the 1.66 tube and the rear drive line is just as expensive too.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

joemazzy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
 Thanks for clearing it out for me, I will be going with 1.25 tube along with 1.05" for the rest... right on, lots of good people on here willing to help!  ;)
Joe

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
Just make sure your bend people have the dies necessary before you buy tube.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Also, depending on your height you may consider stretching the cuda to accommodate. I'm 6'2" and I stretched the cockpit 4" and it feels great sitting in it.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
Stretching the engine compartment a couple of inches makes fitting the header in there far easier also.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
It will pay to listen to these guys suggestions for sure.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »
Stretching the engine compartment a couple of inches makes fitting the header in there far easier also.

Definitely!

Which engine are you thinking about using?

joemazzy

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
Definitely!

Which engine are you thinking about using?

thinking a busa 1000 but honestly if I ever find a 1300... what did you guys use?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal