Author Topic: Hello from Vancouver, WA  (Read 2427 times)

Gundog

Hello from Vancouver, WA
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:09:16 AM »
I am new to the buggy world I just bought my first buggy a new Chinese 800 CC LJ Tech. I am planning some upgrades to it soon to try and eek out a little more HP. I know Chinese buggies aren't always real popular with some guys but it is what I have for now.

Mike

VLADD

Re: Hello from Vancouver, WA
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 04:24:44 AM »
Welcome Gundog,
We all have to start somewhere,
So what are your likes and dislikes of the buggy you have?

Gundog

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:59:58 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

For the buggy I have only had it a week and have not had time to take it anywhere yet. I like the price I got it for under 3K this model usually sells for over 5 and I got it new in the crate.

I have been around Chinese equipment before so it is what I paid for and it is not a custom Hyabusa buggy.

The battery it came with was junk and did not work when I put the acid in it so I replaced it for $40. The tie rods where to long which caused the buggy to have a bad toe in condition with no adjustment to fix it so I cut .5" off each tie rod and it fixed the problem. The toe in was so bad it was robbing a lot of HP from it and when you let off the throttle it just came to a stop like you had the brake on but now it will actually coast when you let off the gas.

The cooling fan relay was wired backwards which took a while to find but it now works fine. The gas tank fitting when tightened faced the wrong way and when I tried to tighten it it snapped very soft brass. I machined a new one on the lathe and problem solved.

The machine did not come with a muffler and is very loud so I ordered a tuneable muffler from Desert Carts. I may build a header for it also. I have also ordered a K&N air & crank case breather for it to help with air flow. The engine is EFI and I may add a turbo to it.

Things I think it will need are some upgraded axles and maybe a lower geared trans. If I can build enough HP I think I can get away with the gearing it has only time will tell. The welds on the frame are for the most part OK there are some poor looking stuff but I don't think it will fall apart. I also got a set of sand tires and wheels for it when I got it.

If anyone is interested I will post some pictures. For the most part I like it and it will get me out for some fun and if I decide I like having a buggy and it does not do what I want I will build or buy something else. I would have really liked to have bought a Ridge Runner but not knowing how much I will use it this really fits the bill for now. I will keep you posted as I put some use on it.
Mike

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:02:31 AM »
pictures? welcome BTW

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »
Pictures would be good

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
Welcome Gundog! Pics ,pics pics! :) This site is about offroad fabbing whether it's US made or import. We're here to help.Glad you stopped in to say HI! 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Gundog

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
Here are some pictures of the buggy. If you want to see a close up of anything let me know and I will take a close up these where taken the other night after getting it put together.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:43:50 PM by Gundog »

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
Specs?

Gundog

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 05:14:25 PM »
Here are the specs I know the engine is an EFI 800CC Suzuki clone. I have been told the EFI is made by Bosch but I do not know that to be a fact. I could have bought a carburetter model the guy has a few more of them and after I use this one a little I may buy another one for my adult kids. I have 4 forward and 1 reverse gear. I do not know how much travel it has. It has 4 wheel disc brakes the front rotors are even drilled. It has a 5 point safety harness for each seat. Turn signals 4 off road type lights and the seats seem fairly nice. The buggy is 66" wide tire to tire outside and the entire length is just under 10'. The front shocks have what looks like a reservoir and a air valve on the end. I do not know if they are air filled or N2 filled. How would I know? The front and rear shocks are adjustable. The front seems stiffer than the rear by pushing down on the frame.

I have only ran it down our paved street to a culdesac where there is an empty lot. I jumped the curb and ran it through some pot holes spun it around a little and headed back a few times. The suspension just eat that up with a very smooth ride but it was not supper rough. I am waiting for my new air cleaner and muffler to take it somewhere to give it a real test ride.

I bought this rather cheap because it is an older model an 06 and it came with no support or guarantee. It is definitely not a plug and play machine you need to have some mechanical skills. I was an equipment mechanic in my younger days I am 48 now and I have been a fabricator of sorts all my life building trailers flat beds and you name it. I have a well tooled shop to make or repair parts or I probably would not have bought this thing. I have a couple metal lathes, a large vertical mill, 250 amp Mig and oxy act plasma torch etc to work with.

I would like to build a buggy some day but with no experience in off road go fast stuff I need to gain some knowledge before trying to design something that will work well.

Mike

Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »
Once you run that and modify it here and there, you will have the knowledge to build one from scratch, youll have fun with it..To many people wrapped up in "how much my buggy cost". They forget that you can have fun in a damn golf cart.. ;D Anyhow make sure and let us in on the maden voyage..

VLADD

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 05:27:08 AM »
Admin hit that one right on the head, When I was a kid I had a blast just driving the lawnmower around.
In my youth I spent some time in Mexico, I ran across this family of 5 all piiled onto a 125 honda enduro but they were all grinning from ear to ear...Why? Because they weren't walking

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal