Author Topic: Streetbike engine in buggy .....reverse ideas?  (Read 4139 times)

lightning78

Streetbike engine in buggy .....reverse ideas?
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:50:01 PM »
Hey Im new here and looke like this is the place to be when it comes to buggies. Long story shore a buddy and myself are planning on building a few custom fab buggies that will run and undetermined streetbike engine (likely a 4 cyl) chain driven w/ independent suspension. I know ....nothing new here LOL

It's already been designed on solidowrks but One MAJOR problem......does anyone know how to put some sort of reverse setup in the buggy? If anyone has accomplished this please give some input. If not was it ever a problem not having it? Really confused as to how to go about this and any input would be MUCH appreciated!  ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Streetbike engine in buggy .....reverse ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:20:30 AM »
Try out the search feature.  There is lot's of info already here.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »
It has been kicked around a few times.  Any reference to F-N-R is about reverse.  Forward neutral reverse boxes.  There are several available that range in reliability and price.

I can't seem to find the threads at the moment, but the Jeffco and RPM units come to mind.  The Jeffco also gives you a differential so cutting brakes are an option.

Here are some electric reverse ideas:

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=784.0

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »
I think the RPM box by Dan Roberto is probably the most universally used with the jeffco a very close second.Your choice may be dictated by packaging constraints as the 2 are very different in configuration. If they are to be lightweight buggies you may wish to just go without reverse.     Most smaller /lighter buggies do without reverse.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »
Oh ,and some are trying a honda tranny modified for buggy use. The jury is still out on that tho as some are claiming they are bullet proof in a buggy but there are reports that they are not really up to something like a busa or zx14.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
And the Achilles heel of all of the mechanical reverser's mentioned is the short chain from the motorcycle engine to the reverse box.  It can overheat and fail under hard use.  ;D  But I am sure you will be reading about that a lot.  ;)

lightning78

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
Oh ,and some are trying a honda tranny modified for buggy use. The jury is still out on that tho as some are claiming they are bullet proof in a buggy but there are reports that they are not really up to something like a busa or zx14.

I read the ENTIRE 25 page thread on the civic trans .....looks like an awesome setupo that is the direction we plan to go and Im fully confident it will work perfectly. As for the power it can handle of a Busa or ZX14 ....not planning on going that big according to solidworks our design will be substantially less than 1000lbs ready to run and I don't feel anything more than a 750 (likely a 4 cyl 600) will be more than enough. We will design the chassis to accept up to a busa engine but porbably wont go any bigger than a 600 given the lightweight chassis setup. There comes a breaking point of too much power for the design and I really don't want to build a machine that fishtails with the slightest blip of the throttle I want to put the power to the ground not wheelie and slide around ....it's just not that  practical....if we make a bigger one then it will utilize a busa or ZX14

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal