Author Topic: Garden City Dry River Run  (Read 15832 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Garden City Dry River Run
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
OK,new guy bigdave has got me thinking-again. Here's a link to the river history and why it's dry. We need to seriously consider a DTS River Run get together this fall or spring or whatever. I think a dry ,sandy river bed run would be a blast!! Gotta admit,dunes sort of bore me,looking for a new rush to enjoy the buggies with. bigdave,fill us in on if this is legal and if there are restrictions we need to know about such as ;is a group of several cars legal running 20-30 miles ?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1906&dat=19820624&id=IdcfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G9kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2400,3754756&hl=en
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:46:48 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Garden City Dry River Run
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
A bit on the legalities of using the river. Apparently,even dry,it is one of three public domain rivers in Kansas? That means we are good to run in/on it ,just don't go above the normal high water line(even though the river has been dry effin forever)as that is private property.

http://www.dodgeglobe.com/article/20130501/NEWS/130509896
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »
OK,new guy bigdave has got me thinking-again. Here's a link to the river history and why it's dry. We need to seriously consider a DTS River Run get together this fall or spring or whatever. I think a dry ,sandy river bed run would be a blast!! Gotta admit,dunes sort of bore me,looking for a new rush to enjoy the buggies with. bigdave,fill us in on if this is legal and if there are restrictions we need to know about such as ;is a group of several cars legal running 20-30 miles ?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1906&dat=19820624&id=IdcfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G9kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2400,3754756&hl=en

never a good thing lol
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:57:59 PM »
you can go west around 20 to 30 miles. East 50 to dodge.

a 50 mile run west from dodge city actually sounds like fun!! what kind of terrain could one expect? i know it's not flat all the way......dodge city is a 6hr drive for me
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:07 PM »
About that for me as well.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online big dave

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
Well I have ran this river for 20 years or better. Never had a problem with the law or staying with in the rules of the law. It is not Patrolled. Is a good ride. It has some old sand pits . Some are small some are big. Some you can play in some you can not. The river bed it's self can be very fast. We can you fourth gear all out in several areas on it. Would love to have a group come down for a ride. Right know thought. I'm doing my best to take it easy on the car tell the Saint Anthony Sandune's trip

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 03:04:45 PM »
Well I have ran this river for 20 years or better. Never had a problem with the law or staying with in the rules of the law. It is not Patrolled. Is a good ride. It has some old sand pits . Some are small some are big. Some you can play in some you can not. The river bed it's self can be very fast. We can you fourth gear all out in several areas on it. Would love to have a group come down for a ride. Right know thought. I'm doing my best to take it easy on the car tell the Saint Anthony Sandune's trip

lol same here lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
would be fun to find the top of 6th and fabr you could shift 4th and still find the top of 6th!!  ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
Top of 4th/6th for me is around 85.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
what is the r&p and 4th in the 091?

Online big dave

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I'v seen 85 on my phone gps speedo. That's on a 091.

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 05:21:03 AM »
what is the r&p and 4th in the 091?

The 6 rib 091 has a 4.56

4th is .82 or .88 depending on year
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:34:56 AM by D Walker »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 06:40:26 AM »
that would be stock gearing but i do believe that fabbr's isn't stock but not sure, 85 is still plenty fast though

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 06:43:19 AM »
 My 091 has nothing in common with a stock 091 gearing. The ratios and speed calcs  below are for my 091.

4th(1.39:1). Assuming the busa is capable of turning 10500 in each gear
which makes countershaft =6862 RPM with busa in (1.043:1)6thgear. Use 31"
tires.Assume no tire slip in sand.
1st-3.44:1=40.25 MPH
2nd-2.25:1=61.55 MPH
3rd-1.78:1=77.80 MPH
4th-1.39:1=99.62MPH

Remember ,I am using 2 trans. The 091 AND the busa 6 speed. I run the 091 in 4th most of the time,using the busa trans for primary gear changing. If I want a lower final drive ratio ,I shift the 091 into 3rd or even second(rarely except for loading).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:53:36 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
My 091 is not stock either 4.10 and 1:1 4th Sort of wish i had stayed with the stock 4:56. My motor at the current time has some problems with that gearing. Changing motors. Pretty sure that problem will be solved. Still deciding how far to take the motor stocked used with simple mods. Or total rebuild with everything thrown at it. Budget will dictate.   
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal