Author Topic: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*  (Read 156192 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*
« Reply #885 on: April 24, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »
Ambush would be a good dirt field gravel tire.  They would be tough in the sand. No tire is right for everything. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

nagel

« Reply #886 on: April 24, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
Ambush would be a good dirt field gravel tire.  They would be tough in the sand. No tire is right for everything.

I definitely agree..  And will also say they will suffer a little in mud as they will pack up and become slicks..

The ambush is very similar to the tires most 2WD GNCC racers use, and its pretty much for the terrain that Carlriddle described.  If maxxis made their Razr2's in a 23" or 25" size, I would get them in a heartbeat.   

I have no experience with real sand, so I've never owned paddles.  But with my Razr2's on the XC quad in the PA coal dust dunes, you can dig yourself in way too easy.  Luckily thats only about 10% of the area out there.  So if you ride sand alot, I would not consider the ambush's..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #887 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
Riding the sand is a paddle tires job. His Bearclaws will work as well as any shown for that. IF he's looking at a tire for both purposes,save the money and just run the bearclaws. I did as LD on my smaller buggy like Voo's and they were fine except for the silty stuff. I THOUGHT that was was why he was looking for tires in the first place. Maybe not tho..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #888 on: April 24, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
im looking for an all time tire..   the whole point of doing those new hubs, getting those cast 12" wheels and stuff was because my old thin wheels cracked..  but i bought those 25" bear claws.. im selling my new bear claws, and i need a normal all time driving replacement..  thats gonna be close to the tire size im running now, but fit the new 12" rims.  i thought i would like the taller tire, but i dont.  BUT they dont make bear claws in a 23x12-12 or 23x10-12...  so im trying to find a replacement for my current bear claws.. thats all.  I need tires that are good for dirt, fields, gravel roads, and occasional sandy trails around here.  this will be my full time tire for my buggy. 

ive given up on getting paddles.. i just dont have the spare cash right now, with doing the brakes and stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:52:34 AM by Voodoochikin04 »
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #889 on: April 24, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #890 on: April 24, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »

Hey I had a set of these on a Banche and they worked great in hard pack and the sand.  People could not believe how well I could get around at LS with them on. Had them on for five years and were still on when I sold it.  Never did buy a set of paddles.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #891 on: April 24, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
to pricey for me yummi..lol im sure ill pop on those ambush sports for 153 shipped.. same guys i have bought my last few sets of tires from.. super fast shipping.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about a year ago I bought another used cv axle from the local salvage yard, to replace the one I ripped apart (with my old engine and setup).  Ever since I put it on, it has had about a half inch of play back and forth when twisting the joints back and forth.  I figured it was just worn and rolled with it.  Well i've always had some clunkyness in the rear of my buggy and hated it.  FINALLY today I thought, well wtf!!! im gonna take it apart and check out the joint..   whoa!!!! glad i did!!  The big 3 sided tripod joint which is the engine side of the cv axle has 3 outer bearing races, then needle bearings, and clips that hold the needle bearings in place but allow the outter race to slide up and down to travel with the tripod cups cutouts. 

What I found when i pulled the boot off was insane.  All the clips gone, all the needle bearings gone, and the outter races just hanging out on their small shafts.  the grease was liquidy and full of chopped up needle bearings... mother f**ker!!!   well since im tired of blowing cash, I decided to fix it with a totally different cv tripod from another car.  Basically I pulled all the needle bearings off other tripod, lined them up on my tripod.  I had to add two extra needles from the pile of shit grease I scraped off my axle.  Actually found 6 good ones that weren't bent or chopped up.  I had to make my own paper thin metal "machine bushing" washers and then used hefty E-clips to hold the washers and needle bearings in place, as oppossed to the stamped "star" style washer clips the factory used.  Also found that my cvs were being pulled two far out of the cup at the angle im running. Easy fix, just had to add 1/4" spacer on the wheel side to push the whole axle tripod back into the cup a little.  NOW.. the joint is tight and smooth running!!!!  f**k yea!!!! 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:53:16 PM by Voodoochikin04 »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #892 on: April 30, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
well started a light bar today.. not quite sure what to do for the adjustable link.. a single one in the center? turn buckels on each side??

nagel

« Reply #893 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »
Use an electronic actuator :)  I've seen some bad-ass light bars on Baja machines that use the actuators so they can adjust on the fly. 

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #894 on: April 30, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
For the cheap way turnbuckle with a second spot for the flat down position. For electric, sweet, just get enough throw to do whole stroke.  Save electric part to put towards LS trip. Lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #895 on: April 30, 2011, 10:51:40 PM »
You want 2 whether electric or turnbuckle otherwise it will shake a lot more. You won't like that.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #896 on: May 04, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
oh got it done.. i did use one turn buckle in the center. the light bar is fairly tight on its hinge. I used 1/2" heims and my frame tube.. works good.  need to knurl the turnbuckle tube now.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #897 on: May 05, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »
Uh, negative.  None.  Look around for buggies with light bars and actuators.  That shit has a nasty habit of caving in a roof on a roll over.  That large piece of center steel comes on down into the cab. 

Dont get me wrong, they look cool as hell.  And it is sometimes handy at the dunes to be able to adjust the angle.  But, having seen the pictures, stick with something that breaks off or won't enter in a roll over.   

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #898 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
so my setup isnt good? 

i wanted adjustable because due to my normal driving terrain, i need to point the lights up higher, or way down low depending where im driving... used to have to reach over and pull on each light, then they would vibrate out of whack...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:10:51 AM by Voodoochikin04 »

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #899 on: May 05, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
Did you use a left and right thread heim?  If not no quick turn to adjust.  Looks good, were you able to reuse the lights.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal