Author Topic: crash - ouch -  (Read 14482 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: crash - ouch -
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2009, 07:57:10 AM »
+1000
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
I like the fact that we are in accord here and the underlying factor is a genuine across the board desire to be safety concious.

I have never gotten into my cars without the safety gear. but.... Im gonna share something with you. Only my navigator knows this.

My first race. Nervous as all hell. Hop in, strap in, nets down, restraints on, helmet on. Flag down, shoot off the line flat out down along straight side by side with another machine (start in 2's back then). Over the first jump.... and my world goes black until I land.....

I forgot to do my helmet up and it lifted through the jump.... pull over gloves off do it up gloves back on and have a very slow lap time first time round.... other drivers in the team make comment that night over drinks..."oh yeah, just took it easy getting used to it all"

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Guess what I checked diligently from then on? We had dust skirts and air pumps so the straps werent in view...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 09:24:45 AM »
I want to add a safety memo to all this.IMO arm/wrist restraints should NEVER be used with a latch type harness.I have had the straps catch the latch bar and release the belts during a run. That was drag racing,imagine what bouncing around offroad can do.For me it's cam lock only .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »
Your not alone.....  Drag racing is a bit different, because you do it in many (hopefully if your winning) short bursts.  Some people can sit in their cars all day, but mine gets HOT!  No electric windows.  ;D  So I wait till I'm about 3rd in line, jump in throw it all on, and off you go.  0-170 then back to 10 mph down the return road where I start ripping it all back off.  There has been a time or two, where there wasn't as much to take off as their should have been.  Never intentional, but always sobering after the fact.  If that had been the pass where something went wrong, not having gloves on in a fire, or the helmet not being strapped could be devestating.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
I want to add a safety memo to all this.IMO arm/wrist restraints should NEVER be used with a latch type harness.I have had the straps catch the latch bar and release the belts during a run. That was drag racing,imagine what bouncing around offroad can do.For me it's cam lock only .

+1

Camlocks are well worth the few extra $

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
Your not alone.....  Drag racing is a bit different, because you do it in many (hopefully if your winning) short bursts.  Some people can sit in their cars all day, but mine gets HOT!  No electric windows.  ;D  So I wait till I'm about 3rd in line, jump in throw it all on, and off you go.  0-170 then back to 10 mph down the return road where I start ripping it all back off.  There has been a time or two, where there wasn't as much to take off as their should have been.  Never intentional, but always sobering after the fact.  If that had been the pass where something went wrong, not having gloves on in a fire, or the helmet not being strapped could be devestating.
Same here.Try sitting all suited up in full 3 layer fire gear helmet and all  in the direct sun on a 100 degree day with your ass 2" from 170 degree asphalt. I finally built a small ice/water reservoir  with a heater core in it to  pump air through to the helmet. Funny thing about animals and humans-keep the head cool and the rest of the body is fooled.  Just an FYI,studies show that milk cows produce more milk when kept cool but it's too expensive to cool a whole milk parlor so the solution was to run air conditioned tubes with openings for the cows head only. Increased milk production without the cost of fully cooling the parlor.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »
Well if it works for a milk cow..............  Sign me up.

105 degrees out, standing in the middle of asphalt or concrete staging lanes, and putting on a 3 layer fire suit.  ::)  Always made me think about buying a boat......

I always maintained that the reason they call it a fire suit is because you feel like your on fire when you put it on. ;D ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
At one time I was going to produce the unit. 70 degreee into the helmet is WONDERFUL!!!! There are units that are big enough to last a few hours.My unit would be good for approx 30 minutes.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
Just got hold of this vid, same roll over different angle which clearly shows how and why it went over. Sadly it also shows his hand/arm fling out just before the last rotation. Just see how violent this is and NOW tell me you could hug yourself so your arms stay inside.........

I personally have no problem with guys doing wheelies. As long as you know your vehicle and therefore how it will react to problems and how it will respond to your subseueant inputs. And of course away from others...

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
WOW!  Very violent. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »
Well heck, looks like he side hill'd it and caught air on the drivers side...

SPEC

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »
To me he looked like the harness was really loose or not on...Cuz  he certainly looked like a ragdoll in there...Ya some wicked G-force there as well

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:38 PM »
Tight or not I'll vouch for the fact that all newer belts are looser weave so they WILL stretch and absorb some of the impact instead of all of it being absorbed by your body. Remember that it was his RIGHT hand that was torn off not the left one. Both hands/arms were injured tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2009, 06:23:22 AM »
That last roll dude looked like he was half out of the car to me ???

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2009, 07:52:10 AM »
Yep.I doubt they were as tight as they should have been but even then he would have been flopping around nearly as much.Good vids like these ought to convince some hard heads of the importance of safety gear. Yeah,right. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal