Author Topic: Rear Travel  (Read 12964 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Rear Travel
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »

Seems to me like you could use this method to get as much as you can get.  I would guess the CV's won't see much load at full droop.........  ;D
No but the cages do.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
No but the cages do.
I would recommend to run chromo cages no matter where you limit your travel....

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
Also hp and weight makes a difference. If you have a big heavy car you are going to strain them more than just a streetbike powered car. And the more angle you run the less life expectancy. And I recomend buying the good cvs first time around. I still have a friend that swears by his cheapo cvs that he breaks all the time. Im still rockin the set from my first build years ago. And use good grease.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
Ditto and ditto.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
I think this was gone over before, but is 25 degrees total angle or angle from center?  If it's angle from center then you have 50 degrees total right?
This post has been edited due to content.

Rick S.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »
Yes.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
I think this was gone over before, but is 25 degrees total angle or angle from center?  If it's angle from center then you have 50 degrees total right?

Yes.

But don't assume you get to use it all!  Down travel is limited by the ground!  ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
But don't assume you get to use it all!  Down travel is limited by the ground!  ;D
Not with  tall tires.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »
Also I like to zero out my digi protractor on the face of the cv rather than a tube on the frame that way you get an accurate reading from the cv to the axle.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
Also I like to zero out my digi protractor on the face of the cv rather than a tube on the frame that way you get an accurate reading from the cv to the axle.
That's not even the best way to do it.  If you have any camber/toe in the rail, or if your center carrier is not perfectly lined up, and if your axle does not swing straight down (if the wheel is forward or rearward of the center carrier) then your won't be able to use the axle  to go off of.  Best way is what I said, physically make sure it turns freely, .....

Rick S.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
If you're designing in cad, just design for the 25 degree max. But always do the physical test before welding your shock mounts in. I have an adjustable set of shock mounts that I use until I can physically cycle the cv's. (They're welded to 1 1/4 shaft collars and mimic the fixed mounts exactly.) Then I do like Yoshi, lower the mounts until i feel the cv's start to click or bind. Then raise them up 1/4", scribe their location, and weld the fixed mounts in. 

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
Not with  tall tires.

O?

That .817 is a negative ground clearance ...........

Where am I going wrong?

Admin

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
yes please explain.... ;D

Admin

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
I see Protodie is getting 30 degrees from his 930 cvs race prepped...

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
That's not even the best way to do it.  If you have any camber/toe in the rail, or if your center carrier is not perfectly lined up, and if your axle does not swing straight down (if the wheel is forward or rearward of the center carrier) then your won't be able to use the axle  to go off of.  Best way is what I said, physically make sure it turns freely, .....

I strap at 25 with adjustable straps and check every couple trips and adjust for stretch. Listening for clicking or binding is fine but if you want to limit your travel at a certain degree I think my method is fine. Its better than what most people do when they try to level their car and check their angle. I use the face of the cv just in case the trans or carrier is not perfectly level. If you just use the binding technique you could be strapping at 30  degrees and putting new cvs on at the end of your first season. And at full droop the axles on my car are almost straight in line from the hub to the trans. But you do bring up a good point for other to keep in mind that cv angle is not just up and down. If your drive flanges are offset 3 inches at full droop you have angle front to back as well as up and down. The easiest way to visualize (not practical to do) this is if you were to pick the front of the car up till your axles were completely vertical and then measure you angle. Hope this makes sense to everyone. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal