Author Topic: Yoshi's new rear ?  (Read 7424 times)

Bug

Yoshi's new rear ?
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »
 This was stated by Yosh a while back. I did a copy and paste,anyways..

working on a new design right now, but it won't be available for 3 or so weeks.  Setup for cv's, 6" from flange to flange, lightweight, includes rotor, caliper, and brackets that weld to the frame.  The carrier will bolt into the brackets and pivot to tighten the chain.  I'm also running 3k pound timken tapered bearings, the same I run in my wheel bearing carriers. Prob. gonna be in the $850 range with everything mentioned, maybe even include a sprocket for that price if I can keep the build cost down...

It's been a few weeks ago and I was wondering if Yoshi had anything to say about it or any spy pics of it ? Thanks for an answer if you can offer one. I'm sure many others besides myself are interested.  8) 

Offline Yoshi

Re: Yoshi's new rear ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »
I dropped the center stubs off at the heat treater on Monday (along with 16 new micro stubs for my wheel carriers), hopefully they will be done today.  I got the first housing all welded up and mounted in the adjustable plates.  I will be welding some cross tubes between the plates and when you instal the carrier, you just weld your frame tube to the tubes on the cross plates.  I will be adding some more bracing to the carrier itself, but if I get the stubs back, i'll at least slide it together and maybe post some pics with the caliper mounted and both drive flanges. Overall width of the carrier from flange to flange was 6-1/4"......Yoshi

For now, only pics I'll show are of the new stubs as they were comin outta the cnc.  I did 16 wheels stubs, and 5 center carrier stubs... ;D

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »
Why spline the whole length?

Do the bearings sit on the splined section?

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »
Why spline the whole length?

Do the bearings sit on the splined section?
no, there is only 3" splined, I wanted as much material biting as possible  for the outer hub.

This is the other half of it, 3" internal splines...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
correction, the above outer hubs are for my wheels, below are 2 pics, the upper is of the wheel side internals with the bearings, the lower is the center carrier.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »
Yoshi, it's obvious you will have a fine rear by the time it is all said and done......... 

Don't let trojan know.....

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
Those look great yoshi :o

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »
Did you make or buy the part with the internal spline?

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »
Did you make or buy the part with the internal spline?
My machinist builds them for me....

Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
Who splines them, Grob?

Camel

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »
Well done Yoshi!

At the (b)leading edge of mini-buggy technology as usual.

Tapered roller bearings are a better way to go too.

Has anyone out there used a shaper to cut internal splines?  I'll have mine up and running soon and was hoping to have a stab at it.  Would like to know of anyone's experiences.

Also, for anyone who is interested, SKF make a low angled tapered roller bearing that will replace those 'bearings' in the barracuda PIRCV assy.  Should last longer, if my bolt-on seal design works...

Camel

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »

Offline Yoshi

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »
Sorry,was trying to show the pic you posted,it looks like the spline runs right up to the shoulder on that part.If it does dont you think this will be a stress riser?

Also on the other part you should have a larger radius where the bearing seats,this is another high stress spot.Especially with an internal spline,the remaining material looks pretty thin.

If you look at this VW hub you can see the larger radius i'm talking about.On round parts if you have the room always better to radius the "inside" corners as much as possible.

Just my op. of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal