Author Topic: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..  (Read 29416 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
Cool!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
"Standfast completly cured his bluing chain and heat issue by adding a small oil drip. "

Hmmmm....could it be from the lubrication? NAH!!! Lets blow some hot air from around the engine on it!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
Heheheheeeee
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
I cannot tell you how happy it would make me if a $25 fan cures this problem, i'm all kinds of gonna be rubbing that in, lol.....

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
So IF there is a magical chain length that solves the problem, what is it?  My design is sitting at 110 links. or 68.75" long chain.  Is it long enough?

Anyone know the length of chain on a stock busa or R-1?

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2009, 11:23:54 AM »
Enemy I have a in car camera we could put on your car and film the floating sprocket. My camera is self contained no wires. If that dam thing is twisting around I think stopping that would help the heat in the chain. Note I did not say solve the heat in the chain.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »
Laugh away young man!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
So IF there is a magical chain length that solves the problem, what is it?  My design is sitting at 110 links. or 68.75" long chain.  Is it long enough?

Anyone know the length of chain on a stock busa or R-1?
Most chains are available in the 100-110 link count.No,I don't know of the busas exact length but I will tell you this much,the busa bike boys with turbos also have plenty of chain issues.FWIW ,I would never again use a short exposed chain.Either design it to where a longer chain can be used or just live with the BS. IMO ,as I've said before,a good starting point is approx as long as the bike has. Think of it this way,a short chain, as is on the posted pic of kings setup with 2 small sprockets, will make the chain bend 4 times as it enters and exits each sprocket with almost no cool down time.. With a large rear sprocket it will bend fewer times depending on the large sprocket size. So that means that the longer chain will bend fewer times per revolution of the CHAIN.Fewer bends equals less heat in a given time span.  Make sense as to why the guys running large rear sprockets seem to have no problems?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:42:34 AM by Masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
Not only fewer bends,but "less" of a bend also,which means less "time" to generate friction.

How about a remote camera and a remote infra-red thermal readout?So we can corrolate time/rpm/temperature and visual?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:04:49 PM by Hammerworks »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Now THERE'S the kind of proof/evidence I'm talking about!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
CSI buggy work. ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Ok, do you believe that a 4" bilge fan is working just fine to cool down arrowheads chain?

Do you think king's customers are not having any problems with their incredibly short chain?
Since there has been NOT ONE BIT,NONE,NADA credible evidence other than he says it works I am skeptical.YOU can believe everything you are told but that's not me. I've been Bs'd many times but apparently you are lucky enough to not have had that happen. Yet that is ,or do i remember a TW box in your past. You were going to"fix" that also.Why are you not running that box? Hell it's goit a diff and is WAY cheaper than a jeff and they SAID it would work,right? There has been no evidence that the 70 year +- old drives like enemy,you or I. There is no evidence anywhere that backs up the claim.Am I calling him a liar? Hell NO,just pointing out that anyone can say/claim anything.
No,I cannot imagine how they are not having trouble with that incredibly short chain on 2 small tooth count sprockets. Again ,not calling anyone a liar.Just waiting patiently for some verifiable info other than"it works".
Personally ,I cannot for the life of me understand why you or anyone else thinks that the wish for good info is somehow calling someone out or calling them a liar.I just don't have "faith" in suppliers.That "faith" must be earned.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
Enemy I have a in car camera we could put on your car and film the floating sprocket. My camera is self contained no wires. If that dam thing is twisting around I think stopping that would help the heat in the chain. Note I did not say solve the heat in the chain.
Just from observing the floating sprocket with the wheels off the ground I can say this..
I can push the FNR sprocket to one side of the shaft (either side, doesn't matter), let the clutch out slow to get the wheels to start turning, and within a couple revolutions the sprocket has truly aligned itself to the counter-shaft sprocket. It is that effortless. I have visually checked alignment after a hard run and its appears perfect. Visual inspection of a "cooked" chain confirms good alignment as well.. Before, I had the sprocket shimmed to what I thought was dead nuts on, and started noticing wear on the inside of the chain and one side of the sprocket. I cannot foresee any "twist" being at all possible, unless the splines were completely fu(ked up in the machining process, but that too would show with wear on the chain and sprocket.

So, both the guys at Jeffco I have talked to at least have there facts (stories?) straight on this one.. ::)
"We designed the sprocket to float on the input shaft for self alignment.."
Or something like that.. It works, therefore I see no reason to lock the sprocket down...
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
Just from observing the floating sprocket with the wheels off the ground I can say this..
I can push the FNR sprocket to one side of the shaft (either side, doesn't matter), let the clutch out slow to get the wheels to start turning, and within a couple revolutions the sprocket has truly aligned itself to the counter-shaft sprocket. It is that effortless. I have visually checked alignment after a hard run and its appears perfect. Visual inspection of a "cooked" chain confirms good alignment as well.. Before, I had the sprocket shimmed to what I thought was dead nuts on, and started noticing wear on the inside of the chain and one side of the sprocket. I cannot foresee any "twist" being at all possible, unless the splines were completely fu(ked up in the machining process, but that too would show with wear on the chain and sprocket.

So, both the guys at Jeffco I have talked to at least have there facts (stories?) straight on this one.. ::)
Or something like that.. It works, therefore I see no reason to lock the sprocket down...

this is what I have been saying, there is definitely no sprocket alignment issues!!

we just need to move the box back and add 30% to 50% to the chain length like we discussed. there will still be heat from two small sprockets but if you can keep a chain in there for one season I wouldn't think that's too bad for the power your running.  ;D

I do have to say that it is funny that the discussion went from what hp#'s jeffco claimed the box capable of to how quick fix idea's to cool the chain. ;D it is a very interesting discussion none the less as well as good info for others!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

artie on edge

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »

Many many factory bikes use a floating front sprocket and rear sprockets mounted on soft cush drive rubbers, it isnt new tech and it does work. As you say, unless its badly engineered it should be ok. +1 from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal