Author Topic: Instead of a typical fish-mouth notch. What do you think of this idea?  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Yoshi

Out working on stuff in the garage and looking at my notcher while I work on my bender stand. I started thinking about this below.

I am busy on other stuff but may try to actually do one of these tonight. But for now I just have a quick "paint" drawing to show what I am thinking about.

Insead of the usual fishmouth we all know of like the top one in the picture below.

What if you use the hole saw to actually cut grooves in the tube its meeting. Then the tube thats NORMALLY fishmouthed will fit in it and practically lock in place. The weld area around the outside remains pretty close to if not the same for strength. But the tube cannot slide even if the weld breaks.

Granted this would be a little tougher to assemble some designs of some parts as it would have to be fitted and not jsut slid into place like a fishmouth. BUT in some places this may be a great strength addition.

The only thing I might question is if the tube you bore into with the saw would be weakened once the weld was completed VS one that had a fishmouthed tube around it. It seems like the welded tube would give it the strength back?

Maybe this type of joint already has a name? Anyone ever try this? Thoughts?

I like the idea, but to offset the extra time required to slot the second tube for fitment, I would use gorilla glue to attach the tubes to one another.....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Heheheheeee!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

or skip that cheeseburger....

Now thats just not gonna happen. It's going to have bacon on it as well. This is why I drill holes in the walls of the intersected tubes.........

artie on edge

Now thats just not gonna happen. It's going to have bacon on it as well. This is why I drill holes in the walls of the intersected tubes.........

sounds like its your lil american gastric tubes which need drillin...... ::)

Offline BDKW1

sounds like its your lil american gastric tubes which need drillin...... ::)

That's what Vodka is for, keeps the artery's nice and clean.......

artie on edge

That's what Vodka is for, keeps the artery's nice and clean.......

Is that why Rusians never got sick  (oops, nah that was the KGB firing squads wasnt it....)?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal