Author Topic: CV Grease  (Read 5052 times)

Stomper

CV Grease
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but what type of grease do you use for cv's.  ???  and whats the best way to grease them and how much do I use. I hope I don't get a bunch of answers like "cv grease" ::) and "lots".  ::)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: CV Grease
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
swepco 101 and a standard grease gun tube per side (1/2 tube per cv).

http://swepcousa.com/lubesite/products/101.htm
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Stomper

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
Wow, that was quick! Thanks

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
Don't get too excited, we have over 350 folks here and I am confident 349 will tell you why I was wrong.....
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

artie on edge

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:09 PM »
Don't get too excited, we have over 350 folks here and I am confident 349 will tell you why I was wrong.....

he's wrong........

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
and Yummi, you were 19 n 20 so I gave ya an applaud to even it out....

you can thank me later......

and it doesnt matter why he was wrong... this wouldnt be DTS if someone didnt disagree......

artie on edge

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
Actually, no he's not wrong. The key here is this grease is suitable for roller bearings. Some high end molys are extremely low friction and are designed for bushings. They are so good that rollers can 'slide' on it. Not actually enough friction to make them roll.

This one is good.

artie on edge

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but what type of grease do you use for cv's.  ???  and whats the best way to grease them and how much do I use. I hope I don't get a bunch of answers like "cv grease" ::) and "lots".  ::)

With regards to how and how much..

lots

Nah, packing is simple, some use a needle. I push it in by hand when its assembled. Basically work it in between the rollers and end up with teh cv as a solid block of grease.

Thats how and thats how much....

But as Yummi said some arse will tell you why this is wrong... just do what i do and ignore them..... 8)

Stomper

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds like there is no such thing as too much grease. thats the kind of response I was looking for.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »
Thanks guys, sounds like there is no such thing as too much grease. thats the kind of response I was looking for.

And let's not forget Stomper them CV's come apart and go to gather like a puzzle.  Get them wrong and they don't work.  I'm sure you know that.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Stomper

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 07:06:08 AM »
And let's not forget Stomper them CV's come apart and go to gather like a puzzle.  Get them wrong and they don't work.  I'm sure you know that.
Kinda sorta knew someting about that. Are you talking about the third picture from this link.
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm
If so, yeah i know about it. If not, no, I don't know about it.
BTW thanks for the heads up again, like I said I'm new to this and need all the help I can get ;D

If I fallow that link I should be fine, Right?
Mine are type 4 not 930 but it'the same basic idea, right?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:08:28 AM by Stomper »

artie on edge

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
Kinda sorta knew someting about that. Are you talking about the third picture from this link.
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm
If so, yeah i know about it. If not, no, I don't know about it.
BTW thanks for the heads up again, like I said I'm new to this and need all the help I can get ;D

That IS what hes talkin about. With regards to ahving lots to learn, so does everyone else here. So just ask. No question is too stupid. All that will happen is someone will think... gee I was wondering that too.....

You WILL of course have the piss taken out of ya by Fabr and Spec and Bug. They just dont know when to stop.... so... do what I do and ignore them.....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 07:21:43 AM »
Actually there is.WAY too much and it can cause boot problems.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »
That IS what hes talkin about. With regards to ahving lots to learn, so does everyone else here. So just ask. No question is too stupid. All that will happen is someone will think... gee I was wondering that too.....

You WILL of course have the piss taken out of ya by Fabr and Spec and Bug. They just dont know when to stop.... so... do what I do and ignore them.....
I agree 100% with everything except for where you left all the Ozzies out right there.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »
Actually there is.WAY too much and it can cause boot problems.

This is true, only put in what will fit in the joint, dont fill the boot up apart from smearing the inside of the boot itself. This stops chaffing when the boot convolutes or ribs rub when running at hard angles.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal