Author Topic: newbie here  (Read 2725 times)

gofast

newbie here
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »
Just wonted to say hi and I'm in the proses of looking to build my first mini sand rail 2 seater. I'm having trouble finding plans on line. I figure since I work in a machine shop and as a machinist I should have no problems building one and putting a busa motor in it and later on turbo charging it. Not to mintion that on the other side of my work area wall is the fab shop but what they fab is booms for the cranes we rent out and those guys aren't into off road. I've also worked at a Cadillac dealer as a mechanic. So if someone can point me in the right direction on the chase plans or were to buy them I would be grateful thanks

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »
Welcome, with a name like "Gofast" you have set the bar high. 

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

gofast

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the info I think I'm going with the rorty plans. Sorry but the name came from the last crotch rocket I owned I lost respect for and when you drive it like your invincible it's time to get rid of it said the wife. I can't help if a buck-twentyfive scared her. So I talked her in to a roll cage and street legal mini rail. But the kicker for her is she doesn't know about the busa motor that's going in it with the turbo and a hint of nos all and the bucket list of hitting over 150 mph before I die or the cause of death which ever comes first ;D Has anyone seen one of these in a flat drag race

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
Build the R16 then. Mod the upper cage a bit to make it a bit more "swoopy" tho. Ya might consider going to a double a arm rear suspension also. I like it very much and the lack of axle plunge is a huge bonus vs a trailing arm.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

gofast

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
r16 then got it. what's the fastest anybody has gotten one of these up to? I checked them out on youtube but there wasn't any that were Dino tested and to me it looked like in the videos no body was really getting on them as far as speed goes. I can't help it I like the rush you get. I live out in the country the wife knows me to well her respounce was I'll already see you in the corn fields with it 8) That was the first place I went in the jeep I had just bought  about 4 years ago LMAO kids and all. I found some new construction sights I had to visit to. I missed my calling for trying to find problems in the designs for reaching braking points in all motor vehicles.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
100+ in an off road car is a tough nut.  Been there done that.  (not in mine) Hoot, but too much can go too wrong too quick. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
enemy has hit 123 mph on gps
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »
No doubt it is possible.  Was he on dirt, sand or, gasp, - pavement?  Pavement easy peasy.   

gofast

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:48:53 PM »
I plan on pavement most of the time but also had plans for using a spare sprocket and a set of spare tires when I'm feeling froggy for the dirt trails. There isn't any sand in Ohio and there isn't a lot of trail riding were I live eather but there is a wide open corn field no less than 20 yards. from the back door of the house :laugh:

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »
You mightwant to consider my 091/busa adapter then.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
What kinda pavement is avail in ohio :police: :police:  anything 100+ on anything note smooooth is going to have to have a great suspension and dialed in.  I guess technically boneville is offroad   LMAO. Fabr has been known to hit 60 or so on access rd from dueces. Lol.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
Or so......................................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Seriously though my blue BBQ buggy was gps'd at over 90 with Bearclaws all around. I will DEFINITELY say that the front suspension geometry must be good or the ride will be dangerous at best. There's really no way to safely run high speeds without a well designed/well aligned front end.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal