Author Topic: When considering a v8  (Read 134 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
When considering a v8
« on: May 09, 2024, 07:14:44 AM »
So I have considered it off and on for several years. Not only due to fabr but rides i went on with 2 old friends, chris and Mark. Their rails are 4 seater and 1100 to 1500 hp super charged v8's. Chris's is a 6.0 or was and marks is i believe an lsx v8.  Chris has a couple race trucks and loves the ls line up. H3 has tried several combos and dove deep into it, so I believe his information.

I have decided to build one more mid engin rail, for myself.

He and I were discussing different sc brands/options.  The clincher is, i don't want to spend $30k on a trans to handle 1000 hp. My hv24 is rated for 600/600. Conservativley 500 ft lbs tq input.  Chris put 1000 hp to his pbs for years. Chris is hard on equipment for sure. Chris told me The pbs is rated the same as the mendi s4 basically. The s4 is 700 hp and the sad is 1000 hp I believe.  As much fun as 800 to 1500 hp would be, I pre fer to stay n/a if I do so.  The simplicity, of an n/a couple with lower expense, lower weight via sc, coolers, plumbing etc etc. Specifically we were discussing the LS line up. I had asked about the 7.0 ls7, the 6.2, 6.0 and 5.3.  He has told me the 6.0 iron or aluminum v8, with a better cam but not a crazy one, better flowing heads, on e85 600 crank hp easy. On pump fuel he said 500 to 5050 crank hp.  Look3d at heads on summit last night, $600 each for a lower brand in the high flow, Cam was cheap too.   

Fabr , thoughts?

Deep Busch, thoughts? You commented about a v8 some day.

General g......I blame you!!  :m
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: When considering a v8
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 11:16:01 AM »
Briefly,you will never be sorry moving to a v8. In a nutshell,go N/A and the most inches you can with an LS platform using conservative parts using pump gas. Build for a flat/broad torque curve. Did I choose this route? NO,but that's just me. :m  If starting from scratch like you will be I'd stay with the LS N/A pump gas big inch engine. Lots of torque.

As to trans concerns,I have little input other than to say IF you were able to convert to a torque converter the trans will live a lot happier life than using a clutch. I only miss one thing a clutch can do that a converter cannot.Clutch dumps that really punish a clutch cars trans. Only drawback to a converter is the need for a huge cooler. The trans will love you for it and it will be able to happily handle higher torque as well.

Personally,if I were you,I would use a GM direct crate LS complete engine. I would look into the GM computer and harnesses as well. You want reliable .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 11:54:08 AM »
as far as a tq converter goes, i would have to call sean at weddle and ask. not a bad idea if it softens the blow

as far as biggest cu in i can afford n/a .....i agree and why was looking at the ls7 which is a 7.0 litre.   

here is a link to some great info on the ls line up,   https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines/ls

as far as stock ecu and harness, not a bad idea since that would be all it needs. pump fuel is the goal but e85 isn't out of the question either. if i can run a stock ecu then that would shoot e85 down.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 12:24:27 PM »
this isn't a today tomorrow build, this will be after my current is running at a reliable state and i have time to leisurely build. this topic is simply for ideas in the even i stumble across a deal on an ls motor.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 01:08:28 PM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 06:10:43 PM »
You already stumbled aross an Albins with your name on it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:30:02 AM »
You already stumbled aross an Albins with your name on it.

:m. Way out of my price range  :m

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:41:01 AM »
 Drowning Drowning Drowning :nw 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal