Author Topic: Casting Aluminium (not aluminum, you yanks just cant spell gooder!!!!)  (Read 41144 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Casting Aluminium (not aluminum, you yanks just cant spell gooder!!!!)
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
If you say so.Remember reading REALISTIC top speed???? If you had used a realistic top speed you would have been right in the first place. Right?????
yes yes yes.  but,  if I would have geared for my REALISTIC top speed, which I will never hit.  I would have worn the toe of my boot out from shifting.  My current and next build are and will be cvt setups to eliminate that kind of situation.  For me 55-65mph would be acceptable top speed. Most of my playing is done in the 15-45 range.  If I would have geared my blaster for that top speed it would be a stump puller, but unridable do to too much shifting.
This post has been edited due to content.

SPEC

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »
Since it is a silent chain a umhw slider like on sled boxes would work  too

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
yes yes yes.  but,  if I would have geared for my REALISTIC top speed, which I will never hit.  I would have worn the toe of my boot out from shifting. My current and next build are and will be cvt setups to eliminate that kind of situation.  For me 55-65mph would be acceptable top speed. Most of my playing is done in the 15-45 range.  If I would have geared my blaster for that top speed it would be a stump puller, but unridable do to too much shifting.
????????????? WHat???????
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
Since it is a silent chain a umhw slider like on sled boxes would work  too
Spec, he's using roller chain.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »
Hi you lot!

Good to see you having input on the subject.

Several points.

Firstly this is a proof of concept build. Thats why I cast two housings at the beginning. This unit will become the spare hidden away in the tool box in the trailer.

Threads will be sealant sealed, although its unlikely there will be much leakage. Dont forget this is for a pure race vehicle which has regular strip downs between events and isnt going to operate for 2 or 3 hours at a stretch, next model will have cast alloy housings and the threads arent going through. (1 event of the year is an enduro, 1.5 hours solid, 30 min break and another 1.5 hrs, the rest are all short sprint events)

I originally thought to "fix" the chain taught as mast suggests and have slightly larger holes on three mount points to give me a little adjustment, but, if this is to be a proof of concept I may as well use it as such and am leaning towards my earlier post for adjustment.

artie on edge

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
THe devil is in the details for something like this.It ALWAYS seems so SIMPLE till you get to actually doing it.

This is probably the quote of the thread! Yes it certainly is and its amazing how many 'little' things raise their head once you get started. Thats why this is my proof of concept project (iron out the unexpected).

Dont forget I have just only acquired cad capabilities last night! Be a while before its earning its keep. This entire unit was drawn up free hand and calculated on paper... fun... not (actually it was)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
Seriously you don't need to worry about adjustment.The only reason the sled chaincase has an idler/tensioner is to allow sprocket/gear changes.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
This is probably the quote of the thread! Yes it certainly is and its amazing how many 'little' things raise their head once you get started. Thats why this is my proof of concept project (iron out the unexpected).

Dont forget I have just only acquired cad capabilities last night! Be a while before its earning its keep. This entire unit was drawn up free hand and calculated on paper... fun... not (actually it was)
That's the beauty of cad.If you're using the trial version of Alibre don't get discouraged,it leaves a little to be desired.If you need answers just ask.  The full version is easier to use.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »
oops, back to square one (again!), I think I need to get back to work on it (have had a few weeks break from it) and develop my thought process further.

Incidentally, I think I like Alibre...think... im working through the training section only at this point....

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »
????????????? WHat???????
You wanna clarify, or just look like a dick?  I Think that you have a lot of knowledge that is useful to others here.  Why don't you share your thoughts on why  you think something is wrong.  You have done a lot of research and I am sure learned a few things while working on your gearbox.  We all want to learn too.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
damn you guys posted 4 times while I was punching keys

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
You wanna clarify, or just look like a dick?  I Think that you have a lot of knowledge that is useful to others here.  Why don't you share your thoughts on why  you think something is wrong.  You have done a lot of research and I am sure learned a few things while working on your gearbox.  We all want to learn too.
I'll look like a dick if I want to.LOL!!! Do YOU want to explain what I had highlighted in red as asked?  At least I thought you'd understand the intent of my reply.Sorry if I assumed too much.ASk alll the questions you have about any of my comments here. Just don't call me a dick again.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2008, 10:30:04 PM »
I got myself confused now.  To me realistic top speed can mean two things.  Either the top speed you intend to ride at, or the top speed the machine could reach in a reasonable amount of time with a given amout of power.  If I had geared my blaster for the top speed I intended to ride at, the gears would be too close together so I went the other way.  as it turned out, I needed a tad bit more grunt because bikes aren't geared to tool around or climb steep inclines.  So I changed the front sprocket.  Now I have a happy medium.  I guess what I think I want on paper doesn't always match what the seat of my pants tells me I want. So I have to change things.  I know it's clear as mud, but my words ain't workin well.  How bout we get back to this tranny thing.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »
so Master, if you were going to build a chain case with an oil bathed roller chain you would....

1. No tensioner
2. side covers machined to accept bearings.
3. No bolt holes into area containing oil.
4. Center to center distance of shafts figured to have chain snug when all is new so it can "break in" to the right amount of tension.

anything else?

tone

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2008, 05:48:42 AM »
hi

my 2 cents

the bearing carriers has to be stepped so it sinks into the cases
and no adjustment

cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal