Author Topic: rear hub bearing carrier  (Read 4842 times)

Stomper

rear hub bearing carrier
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »
Would it be possible to use tapered roller bearings(like the bearings used for trailer hubs)to make a rear hub bearing carrier. Machine out a tube on each end to accept the cone of the bearings, and an area for a seal to be pressed in on each end. Drop in the bearings,Tighten up the axle nut to the proper torque and be good to go. Hope this makes sence! Would this work or not?
I purchased the hubs and axles from Doug Heim this spring, just haven't had time to get started until now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:35:13 PM by Stomper »

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: rear hub bearing carrier
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:10:57 PM »
Sure you could! I am a fan of tapered rollers  8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »
Tapered are far superior to deep groove rollers.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Stomper

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
Thats settled then, I will take some pictures when I am done. But first one question. Can I fully machine the carrier out first before I weld the uprights to it, or will welding them on after machining distort the carrier so the bearing won't press in?

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
It will distort. Leave .025" in the bearing race bores and finish machine after welding. Others may chime in on other methods but I believe this to be the best. and then no guessing either.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
PersonallyI think you're right although we have seen some very effective alternative methods.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:30:29 AM »
Would it be possible to use tapered roller bearings(like the bearings used for trailer hubs)to make a rear hub bearing carrier. Machine out a tube on each end to accept the cone of the bearings, and an area for a seal to be pressed in on each end. Drop in the bearings,Tighten up the axle nut to the proper torque and be good to go. Hope this makes sence! Would this work or not?
I purchased the hubs and axles from Doug Heim this spring, just haven't had time to get started until now.

Stomper
      All late model Corvair and Corvette Have tapered roller bearings in the rear carriers.  But you will need to have a spacer between them over the axle stub for the small race of the bearing to toque against. The spacer will keep the bearings from crushing to tight against the inter races.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:37:07 AM »
Crush sleeve same as a rear end has.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Stomper

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
Stomper
      All late model Corvair and Corvette Have tapered roller bearings in the rear carriers.  But you will need to have a spacer between them over the axle stub for the small race of the bearing to toque against. The spacer will keep the bearings from crushing to tight against the inter races.

Are you meaning in between the two bearing cones that will be pressed into the carrier tube. I was hoping that the step in the carrier (from the machining to accept the cones) would be enough. But I guess a crush sleeve would'nt hurt. How much am I going to have to torque them. I was thinking just enough to take any movement out and still spin easy. ???

Stomper

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:29 PM »
Fastcorvairs
I just reread your post. Sorry I misunderstood you. Are you meaning the crush sleeve between the inner races of the roller bearings. Wouldn't that pose a problem when torquing, to seat the bearings in the cones. ???

Stomper

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
By the way heres a picture of the parts and idea that I have. Disregaurd the OD of the seals(too small). I have so much bearings and seals from other Ideas that I took the picture with the wrong seals installed.
 :-[

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
The crush sleeve is a good idea.  If you don't use it then the hub will not be tight on the splines/shaft and will wear the splines.

Make the spacer just a bit long to start, then measure the endplay.  Reduce the spacer length until you have the desired tension on the bearings.  Then tighten the crap out of the hub nut.  ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
The crush sleeve is a good idea.  If you don't use it then the hub will not be tight on the splines/shaft and will wear the splines.

Make the spacer just a bit long to start, then measure the endplay.  Reduce the spacer length until you have the desired tension on the bearings.  Then tighten the crap out of the hub nut.  ;D

Hope you got some extremely accurate tools for making those crush sleeves...  Maybe a soft material like alum would be a good idea so you could actually make the sleeves long and then torque down on the nut to crush them till the bearings are right. That would allow you to torque them just a bit more as the bearings wear without dissasembly.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:11:27 AM »
Hope you got some extremely accurate tools for making those crush sleeves...  Maybe a soft material like alum would be a good idea so you could actually make the sleeves long and then torque down on the nut to crush them till the bearings are right. That would allow you to torque them just a bit more as the bearings wear without dissasembly.
BAd idea. If the sleeve can actually be crushed it will do so in operation and cause the bearing preload to be lost. The purpose of it is to allow the hub nut to be very tight yet not overly preload the bearings in their races. A crush sleeve will not actually crush. It's a misnomer.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:55 AM »
Fastcorvairs
I just reread your post. Sorry I misunderstood you. Are you meaning the crush sleeve between the inner races of the roller bearings. Wouldn't that pose a problem when torquing, to seat the bearings in the cones. ???

The whole idea of a crush sleeve is so you can torque the axle nut down to about 275 foot pounds.  Crush sleeve should be steel and use thin spacers to set the pre load on the bearings.  Make the crush sleeve about .050 shorter then needed and then us some kind of harden spacers to get the needed pre load.  Best thing to do is make a dummy axel that you can use in your houseing that the bearings will slip on to and off real easy.  That way you can fit the pre load over and over again untill you get what you need and then press everything on to the good axle and your good to go.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal