Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 2701 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Checking in
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Well it seems that the only time I check in I'm either broke or fixing something.  This week I'm broke again.
Been having a good time retired and in Mother G (Glamis).  Sand has been the best i'v ever seen or road on.  This week in the deep dunes I had to put the the car on the revlimiter coming out of a witches eye not once but twice.  After the second time I heard the death rattle coming from the engine.  After the tear down I found the number five rod bearing had sacrificed it's self to save the rest of the motor.  So it's off to Outfront for a rebuild.  I have found out that my motor is fully built with a closed deck block H beam rods and forged pistons.  That and a full set of half inch ARP studs.  While the motor is at Johns I'll take the turbo up to Phoenix to Turbo Jo's for a complete rebuild also. It has been spitting a little blue smoke every now and then. I can not complain I have had the car for about three years now and have not been the easiest on it at all. 

All that with the buggy and that's just the tip of the Iceberg.  On the way out we had much trouble with the new compound turbos on the Dodge.  We spent two days in Roswell NM trying to get a intercooler boot to stay on the intercooler tube.  Blowed the first one off just at the Kansas Okc border. Diagnosing what the problem was. Pulling off the interstate onto a county road we found a church parking lot that was big enough for our rigs to fit into, only problem was the in drive was ok but the out drive had a low hanging pipe that removed my living room air conditioner. After removing the aftermath of that fiasco and patching the hole left in the roof we hit the road and made Roswell NM for the night. The flowing day as we started to leave the Sam's parking lot I blew the second hose off the compound system.  Having no intercooler hoses connections I called the shop and had my main man send me the stock intercooler tube and hose connections.  that went bad when I received the ups shipment the next day, the tube in the box was for the opposite side of the engine, I needed the one for the curb side hot side and what I got was the one I took off the cold side drivers side when I installed the Pusher cold air intake manifold and BOV.  Jerry and I brain stormed and come up with the idea that we could cut the tube down and use a longer turbo hose connection from a local diesel shop.  That lasted a block from the Sam's parking lot, BooM it separated from the tube.  So we went on a hunt for a muffler shop to get a bead rolled on the end of the tube.  We were in luck, we found a header manufacture that did a super nice job putting a bead on the tube.  So off we go. Made it all the way to Las Cruces Nm for the night.  I drove the rest of the way to Yuma keeping the boost below 45 psi.  I'll have some pictures coming later. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Checking in
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:43:31 AM »
Sorry for your troubles!  This story reminded me why I leave my tow vehicle stock though.   ;) ;)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:27:36 AM »
Holy cows, what an adventure!  Somehow the sand therapy seems to make those issues go away.  But with a $$$ trip like that retirement wouldn't be an option.  I'd have to go back to work ASAP.

Come on with the sand pics, some of us are having withdrawals!!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
well fast ....i can only say glad you made it to glamis and you always have an adveture on your trip be it boost tubes.....charcoal grills blowing over or tornados trying to roll you over or sand devils trashing your awnings!!!!!  ;D ;)
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
Sorry for your troubles!  This story reminded me why I leave my tow vehicle stock though.   ;) ;)

the word stock isn't in the dts dictionary so can you please define that??  LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Yeah Fabr, I seem to recall you doing some small tweeking on the toter.  But yeah Fast is on the jagged edge, probably should quit camping next to Enemy.  ROFL
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
Sure. Stock = reliable,gets your ass there and back.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about the troubles on the road.  I hate to have issues with the tow vehicle.  The buggy motor, well that is just part of this sick madness.  Sylvia needs to write a book on the "adventures" that you two have had.  Wow!  But wait, "Retired"?, or just semi (while at G)? 
Where is rev limit set? 
OK, add to the places where "not to follow Fast"
- thru the church parking lot when in the M/H
- thru the witches eye
 rofl
And yes, we need pics of the sand badly! 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
Lol, Carl, I added maybe 20 hosses .   I may have to violate my principles and up the Cat to 300 HP version soon though.  Woohoo,another 60!!. BUT,its a Cat configuration soooooo technically,still stock. giggity
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Sorry to hear about the troubles on the road.  I hate to have issues with the tow vehicle.  The buggy motor, well that is just part of this sick madness.  Sylvia needs to write a book on the "adventures" that you two have had.  Wow!  But wait, "Retired"?, or just semi (while at G)? 
Where is rev limit set? 
- thru the witches eye
 rofl
add to that,dont follow him east across the dunes at LS either.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
Where is rev limit set? 
- thru the witches eye
 rofl

Rev limit is set at 7300 but when your in first gear and there is a wall of sand in front of you that you either come out of Or just shovel sand over the car and leave it,  I elect to to put it on the limiter.   ;D

PS
Jerry and I got a ride in John's Funco today.   giggity That was one incredible ride. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
Sure. Stock = reliable,gets your ass there and back.

i honestly didn't think you could define that  ;D but you did so i tip my hat  rofl rofl   but stockish may be a better term for you now lol lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
Rev limit is set at 7300 but when your in first gear and there is a wall of sand in front of you that you either come out of Or just shovel sand over the car and leave it,  I elect to to put it on the limiter.   ;D

PS
Jerry and I got a ride in John's Funco today.   giggity That was one incredible ride.

bet it was!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal