Author Topic: Youjust can't escape good ol' fassion office politics...  (Read 3237 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Youjust can't escape good ol' fassion office politics...
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »
I've been in my job for ten years and in that time I have been on several teams. The team I am on now is by far the most productive team to date. I've been with this team for about a year and a half and I rose up to a leadership position quickly because of what I believe is a solid work ethic and willingness to learn and contribute. If I didn't know something I would raise my hand an ask questions. If there was a task that needed to be done that I hadn't had an opportunity to do then I would volunteer to do it or get involved in the task so that I could learn it. Before long my Supervisor took notice and put me in charge of the team. Once I learned the ropes my Supervisor told me that he was greatful because he could take a vacation and not worry about work because he knew I had things in control.

I like my work so much that I haven't called in for an unscheduled day off (or even an hour late) in over a year because I am excited about work. But, like every team there is politics. I have become the target of the coworker that was in the position before I took over. He went on sabbatical which is when I took over. Two months later when he came back he expected to get the position back and apparently took it personal that my boss left me in the position. Slowly I started to notice a change in my boss' attitude toward me. Then one day my boss came to me and said that John had told him that I shouted at a female coworker and made her cry. I told him that was a malicous lie. He said that John was concerned and would be talking to me about it soon. I waited for two days and then I went to John to ask him about it. He lied and said he had never said anything like that. My boss didn't want him to know that he had told me. Because I took action and got to the bottom of it all it came out that a girl had indeed cried at one point because her husband made her mad in a phone call. My boss apologized to me and I think started to realize the situation. At that point, I knew where I stood with John and I started taking precautions. Now many other people have spoken to me about John and it seems that he has expanded his brand of BS to include others on the team. It is getting frustrating. More frustrating is that my boss doesn't do enough to stop the behavior, but instread seems to inadvertantly encourage it because he participates. I work in a very competetive environment and I am a top performer. I have no problem with competition, but if someone wants to do better than me then they should outperform me, not by engaging in a smear campaign and try to assasinate my character. Anyone ever deal with this kind of situation?
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Youjust can't escape good ol' fassion office politics...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
You have hit the nail on the head as to why I feel "teams" are not the way business should be done. There is a better way and that is that there is a person in charge that is the leader that directs/delegates to others what needs done. Part of that leadership is staff meetings where the leader takes suggestions and hears complaints /project issues and asks for input from all. Sounds like team work doesn't it? Yup sure does but the difference ,subtle as it is but VERY important ,is that there is no confusion as to who is in charge and who is calling the shots. There are no "sabatticals"  or extended time off. WHY? Because if you care about your job and results you would not even consider leaving your "team" to do the work YOU are solely responsible for. For the life of me I do not understand how anyone can work where they are not solely responsible for their work and the success/failure of it. I know this doesn't help your situation but I just bristle at the very mention of "teamwork".
 Anyway I have though read of this many times. The only effective way to counter this attack is to make dmn sure your work is impeccable and when BS is spread/started with your boss by this asshole confront it in a factual and non accusatory fashion with your boss immediately in writing and in person . At that point do not address that inatance again unless it is brought up by your boss. I wish you the best but if the boss is doing as you suggest you may wish to explore your options     
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:10:43 PM »
I have no problem with competition, but if someone wants to do better than me then they should outperform me, not by engaging in a smear campaign and try to assasinate my character.

John isn't by any chance a Republican is he?   LMAO kick wrong forum
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:22:34 AM »
 LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO ff: gg:
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
To the extent the behavior is subversive and not direct confrontation it is going to make it a bit more of a challenge to deal with.  But, just my .02 take it leave it, etc.  But like any bully behavior, it may be best to confront him - not in a "I'm going to kick your ass way" but in a civil way.  Let him know you are onto him.  That will likely change some of what is going on. 

Lots of tools and techniques out there to have that conversation.  Some word patterns, etc that will diffuse the conversation from the git go.  If you need help finding that type of resource, let me know.   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:15:11 AM »
Agreed that you gotta step lightly and carefulley here but if your doing good for the company and hes working against you it should be sorta easy to set him up to prove hes costing the companies bottom dollar and thats usually grounds for dismissal. Especially in todays economy.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:20 PM »
John knows where I stand. I have had subtle conversations with him and it did calm down for a while because we were working on different things so he didn't see me as a direct threat. Now we will be working together again and I can already spot that attitude shift from him. The good thing is that several other coworkers have said that they have problems with him. We have a few new people to the team that say he hordes information and won't explain things in detail. This is because he wants to have all the information so he can seem like the go to guy. He won't get fired. I work for a corporation and it takes an act of congress for that to happen. Besides, he is a top notch ass kisser and even though our supervisor sees the issues, he still likes him. They'll sit and talk about warcraft for hours. Productive huh?
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »
teamwork at it's finest.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
As disfunctional as it is we do get a lot done as a team. can't imagine if we were functional.

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »
Tommy,

If I were in your position I know what I would do.  You see as a young boy my father would always tell me that if he heard about me starting a fight at school, he was going to whoop me when I got home, BUT if he heard about someone else starting a fight with me, and I didn't stand up for myself, the @$$ whooping I was going to get when I came home was going to much worse than the one I might have taken from the bully at school.

I know people say violence doesn't solve anything, but I'm always going to stick up for myself as I am a man of priciples, and also a firm believer that a good ole fashioned @$$ whoopin is in order SOME of the time.  It's unfortunate that the economy is in the dumps, because after they possibly fire you for misconduct, it would be hard to find another job. :-\

Just remember one thing... You'll often regret the things in life you don't do, instead of the things you did do.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »
Just C.Y.A. his time will probably come.  Sounds like that Sabattical didn't work too well maybe he needs another.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »
Tommy,

If I were in your position I know what I would do.  You see as a young boy my father would always tell me that if he heard about me starting a fight at school, he was going to whoop me when I got home, BUT if he heard about someone else starting a fight with me, and I didn't stand up for myself, the @$$ whooping I was going to get when I came home was going to much worse than the one I might have taken from the bully at school.

I know people say violence doesn't solve anything, but I'm always going to stick up for myself as I am a man of priciples, and also a firm believer that a good ole fashioned @$$ whoopin is in order SOME of the time.  It's unfortunate that the economy is in the dumps, because after they possibly fire you for misconduct, it would be hard to find another job. :-\

Just remember one thing... You'll often regret the things in life you don't do, instead of the things you did do.

I hear you man, but losing my job and jeapordizing everything that I provide for my family is not the answer. Unemployment, jail, and a lawsuit against me would win nothing and lose everything. I have a wife that stays home with my very happy and healthy three year old daughter and a baby on the way. I can deal with a lot of bullshit to make that happen. I'm just going to continue working my ass off and outperforming him and when it gets to deep and he starts the shit talking then I will call him out on it. One thing I know about him is that he likes to work behind the scenes. He does not like confrontation. He turns into a little sheep and cowers when I confront him.

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »
 Do not let this B.S. distract you from your work.
If you do the work will fall behind and you will loose.
If you do not and your work stays good then you will win.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:19 AM »
I just hope the stress this is causing you isn't something you are bring home to the wife and daughter.  It is so hard to keep your work life separate from your home life when it is so stressful at one or the other.

Hey I've got an idea ;D

Do you think this guy pays his taxes?  Because if you have a suspicion that he doesn't, I've got a buddy of mine who lives in Appleton, Utah and he works for the IRS. ;)  I could call on a favor and possibly get him audited. :D

See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
LOL! Now you are thinking. Hey, if I get audited do you think you could pull another favor?!

Home is a great place with very little stress. We have balance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal