Author Topic: fuel tanks  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: fuel tanks
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »
what about when the buggy sits out in the sun and the tank and gas get super hot. isnt that just as bad?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 07:08:31 AM »
How hot do you think the sun will get it to?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots" Albert Einstein  (IT'S OFFICIAL THAT DAY IS HERE NOW!)

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 07:09:39 AM »
I run 15 gallons between (2) 7.5 gallon tanks, and in some cases, i'll run an extra 5 gallon with separate fuel pump and filter for race fuel (like i'm doing on a current build)
 And in case your wondering, the hose is a sight glass so I can see the fuel level......

SPEC

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
I do all mine sight glass too
Cheap...never malfunctions

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 04:23:11 AM »
Were you after someone to do the tank for you?
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Admin

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »
When building custom tanks your much farther ahead to weld a small square plate to the tank, then weld the tab on, for some reason a directly welded tab will tend to crack at the weld, the patch underneath it tends to spread the load and minimize any chance to crack... if the weld at the tab does crack, it only cracks the patch plate and not the liquid tank then...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:48:22 AM by Bugpac™ »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 05:39:43 PM »
so whats the popular metal to use? aluminum? steel? stainles steel? thickness? best way to attatch fittings for a sight tube? when gravity fed, flat bottom? rounded? brass fittings? welded in threded bungs? just drill and thread holes in the plate work?  that should help clear things up
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Admin

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
IMO, alum only, weld alum plates anywhere you weld a tab or attachment point, weld 1/2 thick plates anywhere you want a bung, drill the hole in the tank larger than the bung hole and tap the plate prior to installation, rubber mount the entire gas tank... Sight tube is easy, weld a bung top and bottom for 1/8 pipe thread, put brass 90's on each and run a fuel proof "motorcycle gas line" hose to see, For visual aid you could install a fuel proof plastic ball in the hose as well...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:00:10 AM by Bugpac™ »

SPEC

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41:55 AM »
uh OH...
Bug and I are going to butt heads again... ;D
I prefer steel tanks over plastic and aluminum...For several reasons
Plastic cracks and breaks the ear/mounting tabs in the cold of winter up here...I got 2 of them out in the shop that still hold gas but no mounting tabs, Aluminum are fine for the sand guys, I don't tig anymore, but have several aluminum tanks get stuff poked through them and they are not allowed by many sanctioning bodies for competition, Now before I get the"well im not racing it" let me say this...the sanctioning bodies have a reason for having a bladder and a steel enclosure....SAFETY..
I disagree with the welding thicker plates to the tanks for the bungs for a couple of reasons...!st is weld in bungs are cheap, and generally easier to install than messing around trying to weld 2 unlike thickness materials to contain a creeper liquid, 2 the thicker material vibrates at a slower rate than the thinner stuff and will crack eventually, unless it is rubber mounted, Bug does have a point on the mounting tabs and dispersing the energy tho
I usually brake the tabs to work around corners so the dispersion is on at least 2 planes on the tank...same as the battery boxes...I've never had one fail yet...
Just my take on tanks

Admin

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 07:01:22 AM »
Goody Too shoes for you... Steel rusts and makes a mess... If you ever poke anything thru a 1/8 thick alum tank you doing good... ;D

SPEC

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »
 ;D
Yup...problem I've had was big tree and rocks...Ali. tears and cracks...steel just dents and bears a scar on it
 ;D
They got this new stuff out...it's called paint :o ;D
Just fooken with ya Bug...your points are valid

Admin

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 07:17:45 AM »
;D
Yup...problem I've had was big tree and rocks...Ali. tears and cracks...steel just dents and bears a scar on it
 ;D
They got this new stuff out...it's called paint :o ;D
Just fooken with ya Bug...your points are valid

Paint works very well for guys that Know how to put it on...  ;D

SPEC

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 07:19:33 AM »
 ;D

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2009, 02:46:29 AM »
8-12 gals is nice size/weight.The busa gets decent milage BUT when you are geared twice as low and are pulling twice the weight as the bike and are always on the throttle you are gonna get crappy mileage.Around 10 MPG or so.
Not to mention that your wheels are constantly spinning and not getting the traction a bike gets. May have already been mentioned, but I'm on page one of this thread.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/