Author Topic: trailer tires  (Read 8704 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: trailer tires
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:22 AM »
That bridge was straight outta Hollyweird movie.  Pretty sure all 8 tires (truck and trailer) left ground and I used damn near all my travel on the rail!!.   :wwp: Sorry

So I'll check axles, and gonna measure to see if I can get 16" wheels under.  Still up in air about ST vs LT tires.  I'm going min 8 ply E range.  LT tires are rated to a much higher speed, 99mph.  ;D  ST tires are rated to 65mph.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
LT tires all the way. Trailer tires are crap.

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
 carl research more info on LT tires used on trailers (imo) i would'nt do it  drowning  thumb down  nono

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
That bridge was straight outta Hollyweird movie.  Pretty sure all 8 tires (truck and trailer) left ground and I used damn near all my travel on the rail!!.   :wwp: Sorry

So I'll check axles, and gonna measure to see if I can get 16" wheels under.  Still up in air about ST vs LT tires.  I'm going min 8 ply E range.  LT tires are rated to a much higher speed, 99mph.  ;D  ST tires are rated to 65mph.

there are several manufacturers of st tires that put a 75 to 99 mph speed rating on them.  can they back that up???  who knows cause they are st tires lol lol
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
I read a post about a guy that claims to use P tires. Just of the correct weight rating.  Most cars (P rated tire) are light at 4000 lbs sitting on 4 tires only 1000 ea ofcourse not equal. But any trailer will outweigh that easily. DS put "E"
Tires on this truck I got. Ruff as shit empty but it will haul stuff.  I'm a believer in matching correct weight for tires.

Also seeing some camper mfg putting LT tires on their rigs from factory. ST tires just like everything else in camper are the cheapest way out!!!! 

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »
LT ad ST tire ratings are not the same. Get a ST tire at it's maximum rated load and it's about ready to pop. Get a LT tire at it's max rating and it still has a large safety margin.

The only actual trailer tires I will buy are Goodyear G670's.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
LT ad ST tire ratings are not the same. Get a ST tire at it's maximum rated load and it's about ready to pop. Get a LT tire at it's max rating and it still has a large safety margin.

The only actual trailer tires I will buy are Goodyear G670's.

good tires but the tires i have on my toyhauler are st and e range. they are rated about 20 to 25% over my gvw and i don't weigh that much hauling so i know i'm good on that # but when it's time to change them i will be stepping up a notch lol

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »
Put LT tires on the trailer and then have an issue ,tire related, and see what the law will do for you. You WILL LOSE. I will never run LT tires on a trailer again. Call your attorney if you don't believe me. I learned a very expensive lesson.  YES,most ST tires are crap. NOT ALL!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
Draggin this back up, axles seem ok. Yeah!!

But reading some caution againt the sway control with bi-ply causeing this?? 

And looking for a ST trailer recommendation, brandwise?  225 15" wheel

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
i wouldn't use carlisle brand for sure but any of the others are going to be china made i'm sad to say so if you go st then go 10 ply  maxxus   gladiator   hercules are ching chang chongs but i have used all three and no problems other than the gladiators smelt like burnt brakes new before i even installed them and even standing next to them in the winde lol right dunebound69  rofl

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »
priced some marathon (only D rated in 15's) and some Towmax (E rated in 15")  both china

Then some that didnt even have names.   I'm sure china

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
My trailer (6x20 open) came with TaskmasterST D rating. Absolute junk. Second trip showing horrible wear and blew one out. Spent 2 hours in Enid getting a new one.
They had a Commodore ST R rated 6 or 8 ply. This tire is on its 5th or 6th trip and looks brand new. No odd wear. I will be replacing the rest with these as $$$$ permits. Of coarse, I may change my mind if I see some better ideas here.. My new spare is the Commodore. Commodore is available at NTB also. Just offering my blow out experience.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
AFAIK all trailer tires are made in China. Most are ,as said ,junk. From a legal standpoint,IF THERE IS A TIRE RELATED loss or accident,you may well be up shit creek if using anything other than ST tires on a trailer. Just the way it is. I KNOW from personal experience. Now,that said, LT tires are better quality. BUT ,if one fails and causes a large$$ loss,forget getting the tire mfg to stand behind it. WILL NOT HAPPEN.   FOr that reason I use ST on my trailers now. I have spent a small fortune on ST tires the last several years and have actually bought ,one time,a set of 7 name brand that all had less than 6 month old date codes and all 6 that were on the trailer  AND the spare failed(massive amount of sidewall splitting on all 7) in one trip TO LS. I had to come back home with the trailer wheels and get new tires ordered and mounted before the trip home. IF you guys are running 16" wheels I very highly recommend LingLong trailer tires. I have LOTS of miles on them and absolutely zero issues. One set is over 5 years old with no signs of cracking and the rubber still feels "alive".  They are labeled under a few different names .
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:22:04 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
Here is a link to the only trailer tire I will use now. Been using without any issues at all for quite a few years. They are actually round!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!   http://simpletire.com/linglong-f835all-steeltires  No matter where or for what purpose I will always inquire of date codes and will not buy a tire over 6 months old ever again. Rubber compounds,it seems,are formulated to age out and die if the tire is not worn out in just 2-3 years now .That applies to LT and ST alike. I have a set of ,less than 3 year old date codes, Michellin LT on the dually. Side wall cracking is beginning. BS. Tire quality has taken a shit.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
http://simpletire.com/prometer-st235-85r16-312d-tires

so does this mean ling long makes pro meter as well?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal