Author Topic: Razr vs. Implements.....  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Razr vs. Implements.....
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »
So,

I want my car to handle better.  Just due to cost, looks like i will be sticking with the beam for a bit.  But, one fairly inexpensive upgrade / change would be tires.  I currently run Sand razors - the kind with a large ridge that is directional.  Would implements be better? 

The one car i drove with implements was nice and handled well, and i have cutting brakes, suppose that change could give me a better feel?

doing some research on my own, Funco uses implements - they are rumoured to be the best handling cars out there. 

Here is what they say:

"Front tires are an important selection because they steer the car, key to good handling.  Funco recommends a particular style of farm implement tire, with a mild in line tread, incorporating smooth surfaces.  This helps steer the car with less sand thrown into the car. These implement tires are very rugged and work great in both sand and dirt, alleviating the need to swap out for an occasional desert run."

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:34:18 PM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Razr vs. Implements.....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
Yummi

I would think that the Funco handle's as well as it dose with just the three rib's mostly because of it's length and proportional weight.  IE liken a rear engine car to a mid engine car.  A mid engine has more weight on the front then a rear engine.  So it will turn quicker. A Funco has a lot of steel tubing out front of the engine and trans.  IMO.  Steering geometry is also is a big factor in the Funco car's agility. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
Cool, but what about the question do implements or razrs work better?  Remeber, i get to stick with what i have front end wise - so, not much can be done there.....

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »
I dunno if you guys have different implement tires down there... But i did a quick check locally and they don't recommend them for over 30 mph...
When I was a kid I borrowed some off an old hay wagon...my truck needed tires ::)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
Cool, but what about the question do implements or razrs work better?  Remeber, i get to stick with what i have front end wise - so, not much can be done there.....

I have used both.  The Razor's are a far better tire for directional steering.  And throw the sand out and away from the car. True the razor's are not and off road hard pack tire.  They were not made for duel service.  They are a sand tire only.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »
A rzr or one tall rib tire ss best (IMO) if you never leave the sand. They get better steering and toss the sand out as mentioned so thats the best of it. But for hardpack they can suffer wear or odd handleing if the ridge is large.

Implement tires are ok if you hit multiple terrain. But as Spec mentioned many are not recommended for over 30mph. But many over look this... :]

Around Silver lake here we see a LOT of guys using motorcycle tires on the front front of thier buggies to be both street legal and safe.

If you look at them large street bike tires on the rear of street bikes can fit the front rims of sandrails. This gives you a good choice of street legal (Important to some. Not to others) tires. Different treads can toss more or less sand. Many use these in place of Sand Tires Unlimited "Smoothies" on the front at Silver Lake. They do toss a bit more sand than a pure sand tire so the less tread the less sand tossed at you but they are good tires for some.   

Not as good of steering in pure sand but can deal with roads easy and hardpack well. Just might be something to look at.

Dual sport tires (enduro type or on off road) can also be used but will lilely throw a lot of sand on the buggy and passengers) but might be great if you run a lot of hardpack VS sand.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:38:04 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
Are there any specialty implement tires rated for say 100 mph? 80?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »
Are there any specialty implement tires rated for say 100 mph? 80?

Is this a serious question? 
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »
I remember I used to read that Farmers would get old airplane tires no longer fit to land a plane but they would be perfect on grain haulers behind tractors.

So technically they became implement tires with high speed ratings.

GREAT flotation on loose soil!!!!  Huge diameter so they would roll over the whoops good too!

But those are the only one I can think of!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »
Is this a serious question? 
Uh,yes,got a serious answer?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
No, technically they were airplane tires on grain wagons...

That is one option for tires though.  Or you could just ignore the speed rating on real implement tires.  They are prolly rated at such a slow speed because of balance/uniformity issues or because they are rated with a full load at that speed.  A balance issue can be cured.  The load issue doesn't really apply, as they will never see that much weight compared to a wagon or whatever they were intended for.

What about front or rear tires off a crotch rocket?  I have seen some new bikes with wild tires like the Kawi Versys.  It's supposedly a dual sport, but I don't buy it.  It's really a crotch rocket with a little more suspension.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:40:47 PM by Boostinjdm »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
Uh,yes,got a serious answer?

You won't find "implement" tires rated for anything close to that because implements don't go that fast.  It was a stupid question, whether you admit it or not.

Are there any specialty tires similar to implement  tires rated for say 100 mph? 80?

There, I made it more reasonable.

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »
I have a regional airport within a mile of me I could ask to get a look at some used aircraft tires...and bring the camera

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
Boost,you just can't help but pick on SOMEONE can you? :k ;D What is it about my post that was sooooo hard to understand that I needed it "fixed"? Sorry I didn't use language accurate enough for you. mm: :m

" Are there any specialty implement tires rated for say 100 mph? 80?"
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »
Sorry I forgot the / bb:
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal