Author Topic: Lets talk microstubs  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Punkur67

Lets talk microstubs
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »
I got a set of microstub arms for cheap and am planning on putting them on the car when I can afford the hubs. I know a little about them but can anybody shed some light on them.  And what to get. From what I was told you gain about 3 more inches on you axle length without making the car wider. Thats about all I know.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Lets talk microstubs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 08:09:18 AM »
I got a set of microstub arms for cheap and am planning on putting them on the car when I can afford the hubs. I know a little about them but can anybody shed some light on them.  And what to get. From what I was told you gain about 3 more inches on you axle length without making the car wider. Thats about all I know.

How many splines?   I use a 27 spline axle from Kartec and a 1982 Chevy four wheel drive front hub.  some people use a 33 spline I think that goes into a Ford 150 four wheel drive hub.  the 27 spline works for me just fine they are fairly cheap $65.00 each USA.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Bugpac

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:41:51 AM »
How many splines?   I use a 27 spline axle from Kartec and a 1982 Chevy four wheel drive front hub.  some people use a 33 spline I think that goes into a Ford 150 four wheel drive hub.  the 27 spline works for me just fine they are fairly cheap $65.00 each USA.

what is the Bolt pattern on the 82?

b.c.bugger

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
should be 6 on 5.5" if it's a half ton

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
I just have the arms right now. Not shure what is bad, good, and great to run. Of course the more it cost the product, but im trying not to spend $2500 but also dont want to be fixing them all the time. I know I am running 930cvs. I think I just want standard micros and not midboards.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 02:33:46 PM »
82 front hub? Unless it's an s-10 it would have a solid axle up front. Chevy didn't have IFS on a full size until 88.

Islander

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
And that pattern is 5 on 4.75

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:42:52 PM »
You guys got the whole apples/oranges thing going on here.

Glad I could clear that up.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
I believe Punkur is talking about traditional micro stubs like this picture from Gear One.  This kit has an aluminum bearing carrier, the stub shaft, called a micro stub because it is shorter than a traditional stub shaft, and the outer hub that splines onto the stub shaft and holds the wheel.  The inner end of the stub shaft allows a 930 to be bolted directly to it.

Here is the assembly view:

The rest of the posts seem to refer to using a wheel bearing off of a ford or chevy, and the OEM outer CV, with 33 spline axles for ford, or 27 splines for chevy.  These CV's are non-plunging.

The micro stub kit has an outer hub that is probably wide 5.  Using the ford or chevy bearing will require an adapter if using wide 5 (5 on 205) pattern wheels.  I recently made some.  ;D

Glen,

Are your outers non-plunging then?  Do you retain the axle in the outer CV or let it float?  What CV do you run on the inside?  Is your axle the same spline on both ends?  Now you have me curious.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:08:46 PM by Engineer »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
Im looking for that exactly engineer. Just not sure what the best bang for the buck will be without sacrificing quality. Not looking to use some stock parts from kragen and wheel adapters. Im more looking for something like pro am, gear one or others

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »
My bad, micros...got it.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »
Glen,

Are your outers non-plunging then?  Do you retain the axle in the outer CV or let it float?  What CV do you run on the inside?  Is your axle the same spline on both ends?  Now you have me curious.

Engineer

930 CV's and yes the axle's float in both ends inside and out. About .750 tho of and inch Thur 18 inch's of travel. The 82 Chevy hub's are from and S-10 4X4. Bought them at Autozone. I had to build my adapters also.  Mine are thicker then yours because I wanted to incorporate a hubcap to seal the bearing some.  Also was some what worried about strength. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:29:52 AM »
Glen,

Where did you get, or did you make the black CV bell (circled in red) that goes through the OEM bearing?  I am planning on using the OEM style CV retained by the nut.  You are able to use the 930 CV on the outer with that adapter.  I made the center of my adapters removable so I can drop the CV without removing the tire.  Of course you never need to take the big nut off because the 930's are bolted on from the back side.

When you were talking spline counts I thought that you meant axle splines not bearing splines.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:37:05 AM by Engineer »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »
Glen,

Where did you get, or did you make the black CV bell (circled in red) that goes through the OEM bearing?  I am planning on using the OEM style CV retained by the nut.  You are able to use the 930 CV on the outer with that adapter.  I made the center of my adapters removable so I can drop the CV without removing the tire.  Of course you never need to take the big nut off because the 930's are bolted on from the back side.

Engineer

The axles came from KAR TEK WWW.KARTEC.com 2871 Ragle Way Corona, CA 92879 phone 951-737-7223.  Part number is BRMS1000SA 27 spline $450.50 a pair. They are for the 930 CV's and fit the 82 S-10 front hub carriers. 

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
Engineer

The axles came from KAR TEK WWW.KARTEC.com 2871 Ragle Way Corona, CA 92879 phone 951-737-7223.  Part number is BRMS1000SA 27 spline $450.50 a pair. They are for the 930 CV's and fit the 82 S-10 front hub carriers.

Thanks Glen,

Now there is some info to chew on....  I was totally confused, because I call the "axle" the thing between the CV's.  ;) ;D

I am now enlightened.  ;D

I think it is this:  http://www.kartek.com/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:56:27 AM by Engineer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal