Author Topic: Hid light ?  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Jerry

Hid light ?
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
I am installing two  hid lights, on the buggy. The wiring calls for a 20amp fuse. I am running the power though a 30 amp switch , when i flip the switch one light comes on and stays on the other light (farther down the line) blinks on then goes off . If i disconnect the one that stays on an just try the other, it comes on and stays on. I can not get both lights on at the same time. This happens when nothing eles is being powered.

I am using a seperate fuse block to run all electrical. The orginal fuse blck is still in the harness but only runing the ECU, and speedo. The fuse block i added is powering the fuel pump (15amp), Fan (30 amp) tail lights (7.5amp), water temp (5amp), Cig ligther (20 amp).

Could i have to long of a wire  (14 ga) and need to step up the fuse to a 25 amp? The manual says the the alteratur output is 500w at 6000rpm.

trans man

Re: Hid light ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »
I am installing two  hid lights, on the buggy. The wiring calls for a 20amp fuse. I am running the power though a 30 amp switch , when i flip the switch one light comes on and stays on the other light (farther down the line) blinks on then goes off . If i disconnect the one that stays on an just try the other, it comes on and stays on. I can not get both lights on at the same time. This happens when nothing eles is being powered.

I am using a seperate fuse block to run all electrical. The orginal fuse blck is still in the harness but only runing the ECU, and speedo. The fuse block i added is powering the fuel pump (15amp), Fan (30 amp) tail lights (7.5amp), water temp (5amp), Cig ligther (20 amp).

Could i have to long of a wire  (14 ga) and need to step up the fuse to a 25 amp? The manual says the the alteratur output is 500w at 6000rpm.
Take an OHM meter and make sure you have a good ground. 8) 8) 8)

trans man

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:14:28 PM »
If your alternator is 500W it's putting out 41 amps max. :D :D :D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:02:50 AM »
500/12=41.6666 BUT the charging system is likely putting out approx 13.2 SOooooo   500/13.2=37.87 amps. To get the right result you must use the voltage actually produced and NOT the nominal 12V. Small point but..........................
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:13:10 AM »
My Trail Techs will do the same thing if my battery isn't fully charged with the motor "off". HID's pull the most amps when igniting....just something to look into
 :)

FYI - I also run my lights directly from/off the battery through relays and one 20 amp fuse at the battery. (all 6 lights)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:17:07 AM by Enemy »
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
It really doesn't matter what your charging system is making to get the lights lit. The battery is in charge of that. The charging system is to "refill" the battery AFTER it does its' job of supplying amperage in bulk. It's a common misconception that the charging systems job is to actually run electrical accessories. NOT SO. The battery does the work and the charging system is to keep the battery fully charged and ready for heavy intermittent loads that are above the charging systems capacity to supply all at once such as the starter motor. However the total  CONSTANT load on the charging system cannot exceed the total of all accessories in use at the same time or the system will not be able to keep the battery charged.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Icky

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:53:43 AM »
Have you tried turning one on and letting it warm up for a few seconds and then turning it off and on again. May not ne the correct answer but it works for a friend of mines kragen hids on his rhino.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »
That's not really good practice with HID's .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
Out of curiosity what are your battery specs?

At idle it might be as low as only 100 watts/7-8 amps or so though.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
Your wire size is to small for the length of the run or you have some poor connections. Either way your getting to much of a voltage drop when you fire them off and only one turns on. Run a 4G wire to your fuse block and make sure your grounds are good. Also, what kind of fuse block is it? Please don't say Painless..........

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
Run a 4G wire to your fuse block

MAJOR overkill. Not that it will hurt. Just waaaay more than needed.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
How do you check a gorund with a ohm meter?? Thank you all I will look into things and let you know what i fine.

trans man

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
How do you check a ground with a ohm meter?? Thank you all I will look into things and let you know what i fine.
Connect one led on your ground wire, between the ground for the lights and the lights and the other led on the negative post on your battery or a bare spot on the frame.(where there is no paint) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:01:10 PM by trans man »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
My Trail Techs will do the same thing if my battery isn't fully charged with the motor "off". HID's pull the most amps when igniting....just something to look into
 :)

FYI - I also run my lights directly from/off the battery through relays and one 20 amp fuse at the battery. (all 6 lights)

Thats why i got rid of my trail techs. Got tired of stoping cause my lights went out during a ride.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:05:18 AM »

Thats why i got rid of my trail techs. Got tired of stoping cause my lights went out during a ride.

Mine now have LED bulbs in them and are doing duty as work lights. I think I have the most expensive work lights ever...........

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal