Author Topic: New Car in Aus  (Read 27469 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: New Car in Aus
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
Mainly because I want to make the drive a certain way and I didn't think I could do it with a-arms.
5 link had to many heims and was a bit complicated for me and I wasn't too keen on three link.

Trailing arm seems to work fine for all the other buggies in my club  ;D.

Here some pictures of the reversing chain case.
Just curious as to what you can do with trailing arms that can't be done as well or better with a arms. There are advantages to a arms. WHat were the cons to using them other than the large number of heims,if you wish to discuss . Always looking for other view points . It's how we learn here.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
I would keep an eye on the bushing in the reverse gear. It will have a fairly high surface speed. Without pressurized lube to it, it may burn. Roller bearing would have been a better choice as it needs less lube.

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »
Thanks, ill keep an eye on it.

That's actually the forwards sprocket though. The bush will not be rotating relative to the shaft most of the time, only in reverse, so the speed shouldn't be to high.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »

That's actually the forwards sprocket though. The bush will not be rotating relative to the shaft most of the time, only in reverse, so the speed shouldn't be to high.
I'd say no issue at all. Do I recall this idea being tossed around @ MBN or somewhere a couple years or so ago? Is this a first off prototype or have you been running it for a time?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »

Ah, chain is for forward. Bushing is the better choice for that then as it will have pretty low surface speeds in reverse.

Unless you plan on doing some top speed reverse runs LOL........

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
Nicely done. How much time do you have on it so far?

A fair bit of time - I've lost track really. I'm not sure I want to think about it.

Just curious as to what you can do with trailing arms that can't be done as well or better with a arms. There are advantages to a arms. WHat were the cons to using them other than the large number of heims,if you wish to discuss . Always looking for other view points . It's how we learn here.

I'm not an expert. I don't mind the way the a-arms handle on my current car.

Main reason for trailing arms was around putting in the new drive I have made. with a-arms, the front top a-arm mount is in the way of the primary drive chain. Even more so because I'm planning on fully oil bathing it.

I found rear a-arms (the barracuda ones anyway) to be somewhat fragile. I got cracking in the lower arm and in the housing. Fixed by redesigning and adding trailing links, but the bushes still flog out relatively quickly. Lots of moving parts (relatively) means lots of maintenance.

Going to semi trailing arm means no complexity and hopefully little maintenance. I can get the camber change (at the expense of a little toe) and I have a lot of freedom with the drive. Hopefully the tendency the arms to arc backwards will maker them handle the real rough stuff a little better. Downside is the plunge on the cvs. I'm going to try and make my own midboard hubs.

I'd say no issue at all. Do I recall this idea being tossed around @ MBN or somewhere a couple years or so ago? Is this a first off prototype or have you been running it for a time?

Totally untested. I think the diff will be fine. I also think the double chain will last. If anything breaks it will be the dogs on the main drive selector or the bearings in the idler shaft.

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »
Ah, chain is for forward. Bushing is the better choice for that then as it will have pretty low surface speeds in reverse.

Unless you plan on doing some top speed reverse runs LOL........

Haha, hopefully not  ;D.

Yep, double 530 bike chains for forwards. Hopefully it will do the trick. All adjustable, so if the stretch a bit it can be adjusted up again.

For the prototype, I got some cost effective "off the shelf" gears. They are made of a fairly low grade steel (1045) and pressed them on the shafts. Should be good enough for reverse, but I wouldn't transmit full engine power through them!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:05:14 PM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 03:24:44 AM »
Main frame is nearly done. Time to star making some trailing arms.

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »
Trailing arms and home made midboards coming along.

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 07:50:15 AM »
Nice work, I like the jig.
You smell that?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
Very nice. Good to see someone also building major components instead of just buying. Mids are looking very good.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
nice work indeed
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 03:55:17 AM »
Thanks. I hope they work. I'm pretty worried I won't get the travel out of the boot without distorting it, the only thing I couldn't draw. Drive shaft comes very close to where they clamp on at full droop. If worst comes to worse, I will have to remake the rear section to take a 934 boot.

Here is a couple of pics of the assembled unit. I will make the cap once I confirm my axle length.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:54 AM »
When I first read this I thought you made some nice arms for some midboards, then I was like crap he made it all!!! 
And I was gonna give ya crap for being slow, but cant now cause your makeing then bolting the parts together where most just bolt the parts on.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 05:23:44 AM »
I wish I had the skills to machine parts like that and fabricate more on my build.  I'm doing good to just to get mine done!  :laugh:  I am persistent, but slow and steady like the turtle.  I hope it turns out faster than the turtle! 
You smell that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal