Author Topic: Deal of the week for me.....  (Read 8984 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Deal of the week for me.....
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »
Yummi,would you please post up perhaps in a new thread what you know about the do's and don'ts about base to car,car to car and in car communication systems?  We need some serious education I think.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
Yummi,would you please post up perhaps in a new thread what you know about the do's and don'ts about base to car,car to car and in car communication systems?  We need some serious education I think.

Serious?  Oh I am so the wrong guy to ask for that. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
So, I mounted it all up, the GPS and intercom is up high to access, the radio is down low but can still be access, took some passenger leg room away, but not much, and really not other place to put it..... I am really looking forward to having the tunes and GPS back in the car. Also looking forward to having car to car in this car; but I am not 100% happy. 

My car has nothing that resembles a dash.  That's cool, I mean, at a certain point you get what you pay for and a dash begs for a hood, so, it gets to be a slippery slope on panels.....  For the most part it has been a work around.  But, this has some wires that by their nature are just long, so the have to be coiled.  Can't be cut, just coiled and zip tied.  I like the location of everything, but not the appearance. 

So, anybody have any ideas on a cowl or a mini dash that might work?  I was thinking something like a half pipe?  Just to rap over the top, drop onto the back side, hide some of the wire mess.  I know, that sounds stupid, but in my minds eye it is cool.  The execution is the hard part.    I also know - its needs wires - get over it......

Pics attached - open for suggestions......

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:11:19 AM »
Why can wires not be shortened? I know my Lowrance Baja said I shouldn't but I am curious as to WHY not.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
RCA plugs, coax, five pin wires....  way to many chances for fxxk up or trouble down the road. 

I hid the excess wherever I could, but the coiled ones in the picture are from gps to intercom so there is really no place to hide them short of running them out and back with a kink in them at the 180* point. (Well, I could go longer and hide the "loop")  The antenna wire is apparently "matched" to the system as well, as is the antenna - ie roof mount vs. tab mount.   

It is not so much the one coiled wire as it is the wires in general.  Just be nice to make it look a little "cleaner," but I am drawing a blank on how to do that.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 06:33:03 AM »
I wouldn't "coil" the RCA or coax cables.  We always did a zig zag thing.  Don't run them paralell with power wires either.  I guess you could, but risk interference.
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »
I've heard and read about the gps antennae wire being matched to the unit but just cut,solder and shrink tube  the others.Yes don't coil the gps stuff -caused me problems last time .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 06:37:52 AM »
So can anyone tell us WHY the gps antannea coax is length specific? and so long in the first place.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 06:41:58 AM »
My gps wire that is coiled is the RCA plug for music out - the XOG unit has a built in antenna.  The Lowrance GPS Baja w/ external antenna is what you speak of?  My antenna is the radio transmit.   The cut antenna reportedly has something to do with frequency tuning?

Maybe this whole cut the wire thing for antennas should be on "myth busters?"   

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »
My gps wire that is coiled is the RCA plug for music out - the XOG unit has a built in antenna.  The Lowrance GPS Baja w/ external antenna is what you speak of?  My antenna is the radio transmit.   The cut antenna reportedly has something to do with frequency tuning?

Maybe this whole cut the wire thing for antennas should be on "myth busters?"   
Yes.I've heard of the same for your transmit coax.Why would it make a difference tho? I'm wondering if they just don't want hacks cutting and splicing half assed and causing problems or if it really has something to do with a specific needed length to operate correctly. Also if coiling of wires can cause problems why are the wires so long that it forces us to coil them up or bundle them some way?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:08 AM »
BTW that mount that comes with the XOG while it is great in an on road car you will find it sux offroad.I'm mounting mine with the knob/knob super stuff from Radio Shack that takes the place of velcro. The stuff holds things rock solid and yet allows removal.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 07:07:47 AM »
if the antenae is similar to cb stuff, you can shorten the coax part of it as long as you do it right at the plug.  cutting the wire in the antennae will mess with the tuning.  The fiberglass cb antennaes is what I am refering to.  you can take the tip off and have a cb guru tune it to your specific cb.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:05 AM »
Nope,  my knob comes from Ram Mounts. 

http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/lowrance_xog_mount.htm#ramb138lo8

The stocker would not last too long.  The Ram system seems pretty durable and holds the unit much better.  Only like $30.00 for all the parts

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 07:13:03 AM »
This stuff. 
 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103343    It says hook and loop but it's not. It's knob and peg. Both sides are the same. Both pieces are small pegs with knobs on the end that interlock when pushed together.Fantastic stuff.Used it for many years in the drag cars.Hell I mount the MSD ignition boxes and tranny brake delay boxes with it!  It is super self adhesive backed and will not come loose.Once you mount something it can be difficult to separate them if you use big pieces.It only will take a strip at each end about 3/8ths wide and an inch and a half long on the back of the XOG to mount it rock solid and yet be able to remove it to program and such easily.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
cool thanks, that will work to hold the xog to the ram very well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal