Author Topic: I need a new rear sprocket  (Read 15912 times)

Offline Lance-W

Re: I need a new rear sprocket
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 06:03:20 AM »
I'd do the stock set.  That transmission has been in there since day one.  It's had it's share of abuse.  The motor supposedly had less than 10 miles on it when I got it (crashed on the way home from the dealership?).  It looked like it as there was virtually no carbon in the exhaust ports and no lube accumulation in the sprocket area.  It's been running bone stock now for ~5 years and this is the first issue?  Keep in mind a 12 year old drove it who had never driven a car with a clutch or any other car for that matter.

You are a stand up guy Lance! Wish more people were like you. I feel bad about it myself, thats alot of money to shell out. Would a machined raced cut be better? I mean the old set fabr has then have them undercut somewhere possibly even cheaper and maybe even better than stock as far as durability? I heard him say its a waste of money idk

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 06:06:45 AM »
You're a good guy fabr regardless of what other people say about you  rofl rofl rofl

Lee, between what fabr has and what you still have in the Cuda you night mix and match and make it work.  I understand the "I only want to do it once" thing though.

If you just want to recut the gears I have a trans from a gen 1 that needs 2nd recut. No need to buy a good one and have it cut. It jumps out of 2nd gear,I think that is what is likely wrong with your car but 1st gear. A couple missed shifts or a bit of grinding finding first will destroy the dog edges. Then you have what you have,I think .

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
Take it apart and figure out what you have then make the decision?

Hell,if you want a fresh undercut trans then just have yours cut.No need to find a different set. You MAY need to replace your 2nd gear if it is too badly rounded off.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 06:56:28 AM »
Take it apart and figure out what you have then make the decision?
That's what I'd do.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »
If you only want to do it once, IMO,if you do decide to have it cut, (Mark)  RD-transmissions is the guy to use. Based out of Florida.
http://r-dmotorsports.com/ Stock trans has a slight back-cut to the dogs but one poor engagement or miss and the dog is toast..A full cut will take it to 2*. I went over and under cut on my last trans (1-6) cause I like to be able to down shift as fast as up without ever touching the clutch. Makes neutral a bitch to find sometime sitting still, but I dont mind the tradeoff.
He has done 5 transmissions for us over the years and does outstanding work.
There are many other mods that can be performed on the Busa trans to make it shift like a better than new one as well.. Shift forks are well known for wearing out/bending and making 1-2,2-1 a PITA and the stock shift fork shafts flex and bend if a guy tries to force shifts.. (Could be the problem?)  Upgrade to APE shafts while you are in there..The shift star can also be modded for a cleaner precise shift, and the nitrous guys like to mod the shift drum for better high RPM shifts and claim it works well throughout the power band. The last two I have not done, see no need. Just want to share like others have that the stock trans is flawed from the start, especially when we take them out of a light weight bike and stuff them in a heavy car and load them down in the sand.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Wildcatfan

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
Will a haynes manual help me with the transmission removal? Ive been hearing its not to bad?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »
All you do is remove the pan,lift out the old ,drop in the new and torque pan bolts.. Now ,IF you let the assembly come apart...........................................well,take pics as you are doing it. Lots of needles also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Wildcatfan

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
Thanks fabr... prob get started on it tomorrow. Been working on brakes on the red one...lmao

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »
I have the factory manual at work electronic.  Tomorrow?  Or search the web.  It's out there. Free

Wildcatfan

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
Sorry lance, just seen where you posted. I havent tore into it yet, enemy sent me a electronic copy. Got the garage ready though, did make a little more room.

Wildcatfan

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
Finally tearing the bone out of it!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:21:04 PM by Wildcatfan »

Wildcatfan

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »
What does that bolt  hold again behind the magneto? I don't see a tdc Mark on the mag either? And suggestions :).  Which side is easier to remove the engine, and do the headers need to come off?

That last pic of the spring, you can see it was giving me problems lol wanted to stretch. And motor would continue to rev when letting off the gas.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:03:18 PM by Wildcatfan »

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:44 AM »
Ummmm   why did you take the magneto/stator off?  I've never taken it off, I just unplug the wires and leave the assembly on the engine.

The engine seems to come out the right/passenger side the easiest.  If you get 2-3 people you can just carefully juggle it out.  I tried doing it with a hoist one and it seems alot easier just using the 2-3 people and lifting it in/out.

Headers definitely need to come off.  I've always taken the radiator out.  If for no other reason than to keep it from getting banged up.

What does that bolt  hold again behind the magneto? I don't see a tdc Mark on the mag either? And suggestions :).  Which side is easier to remove the engine, and do the headers need to come off?

That last pic of the spring, you can see it was giving me problems lol wanted to stretch. And motor would continue to rev when letting off the gas.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »
It's been a while since I took that motor out but if I remember right..........   Lift the engine and rotate it so the oil pan comes out the side first and then you have to twist it a little to clear the cage vs the head.  I think :)  It's been a while..........

Wildcatfan

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
Well I guess I missed a plug then. Seemed to me I thought the same thing.lol I guess I better look a little harder. Thank you  :)

Ummmm   why did you take the magneto/stator off?  I've never taken it off, I just unplug the wires and leave the assembly on the engine.

The engine seems to come out the right/passenger side the easiest.  If you get 2-3 people you can just carefully juggle it out.  I tried doing it with a hoist one and it seems alot easier just using the 2-3 people and lifting it in/out.

Headers definitely need to come off.  I've always taken the radiator out.  If for no other reason than to keep it from getting banged up.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:28:13 AM by Wildcatfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal