Author Topic: New Intake Pics  (Read 13745 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: New Intake Pics
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
This brings up the subject of dyno results in general.New topic.

Correct, without a back to back comparison with another unit it's really hard to substantiate any gains. I have no doubt that it would be several HP above a UMP unit, it would just be interesting to see how much it choked it off. I know a single UMP versus a 14" round paper unit on a 418CI SBF was a 75HP loss.......... At the wheels.........

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
I don't doubt that at all but an ump is actually usually undersize for it's application due to the fricken HUGE one that actually would be of proper airflow sizing. An ump cyclonic style filter is also very good at running in very high dust conditions due to the cyclonic action just like the vacumn cleaners we see becoming very popular now. But the area needed around a cylindrical filter element makes the housing very large and hard to package neatly. Hence the usually undersize but adequate for the intended purpose ump. At least that's my opinion. LOL!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
And.....he's gone.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
Shiny trinkets and snake oil have that effect here. If that is not the case it would be very easy to dispute with good info.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
now I can't say ya or na on velocity stacks other than playing with the stock rubber ones on my 01 busa. I have determined that my best throttle response is with the 2 longer ones in the middle and 2 smaller or shorter ones on the outside like the factory air box.  I have tried several times and not only can you see it with the pre screen filter on my after market intake but you can feel it when driving. I am not sure stacks would improve upon this much but could be very wrong but since I need bottom and mid until I see stacks with hp and tq improvements at bottom and mid range I just can't see this working well for the rails imo. just my opinion though. I agree that a test of stock then with stacks would be the best comparison but stock box versus stacks to be fair.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
Honestly,a person needs to read up on intake airflow and design. There is far too much for me to try to explain in this forum to make it clear why a stack is used or not and why just adding a stack is like throwing a bunch of legos in a box and expecting to get an F-1 out of it. I truly believe that MC also knows what I'm saying and that is why he disappeared.   In a nutshell,his intake may or may not actually make more hp/tq due to the velocity stack but he was apparently not willing to show the info.
 BTW,velocity stack is a completely false name for what it is.At worst it is a nice radius entry and at best it is an intake pulse trap that could actually increase volumetric effeciency above 100% along with  a well designed intake and well chosen cam and piston/rod ratio,blah,blah,blah.....................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »
I am not well versed in them but I just know that for my purpose mid and bottom end is where I need the power increase and for what I am doing the factory ones seems to be working for now. a test of before and after would really be the best way to represent the stats though of stock form  versus mod'd.  It just seems that everytime I see them advertised I try to read up on what they are selling and the hp #'s always seem to be in the upper rpm range which wouldn't work for my app imo. I think that goes hand in hand with intake velocity at that rpm as well. what he posted for pics looked like some very nice machine work too.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline MC

• Fabricator
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
Funcos latest video.  Cars running Performance Fabrication High Velocity Intakes won all 3 races this weekend, placed 1-2-3 in the championship and won the $10000 Challenge Race.

Not bad for shiny trinkets and snake oil, what an azz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk4IrIAPErg&app=desktop

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
COOL! Congratulations!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 07:09:53 AM »
nice video.   i always find myself watching the suspension more than anything on these video's. i see several sand rail manufacturers out that that believe and show about a 6* neg camber arc at full bump. i don't see this design idea in the buggies in the video and many others.  it's just interesting sometimes to look at the diff designs . 

you do nice work, just wanted to see the benefits at mid range throttle where we need it the most on bike powered sand rails. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
For sure ,ds. I've NEVER understood the radical camber curve some builders think is good design. More likely they didn't know how to avoid it in the first place.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
the buggies in the video actually appear to have a min neg camber arc vs a huge 6* neg arc. i have a friend with a revenge racing predator rail. 4 seater big hp sc v8 engine. nice looking rail and was there leading the pack at the last meet for the big run. he has asked me a few time to drive over and help figure out his alignment cause where he says it's controllable in the sand or dirt but on pavement it will change lanes on it's own when he backs out of the throttle. now we all now that means bump steer. that's an expensive rail and has bump steer. i would think that would be the first hurtle of the design but i guess it really comes down to the pride in the work of the manufacturer!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 05:09:59 PM »
Short course cars, They don't have that much wheel travel and have really long arms. No need to get crazy with the caber curve to control lateral scrub.

Having a low CG and roll center reduces body roll which further reduces the need for camber gain.

Big sloppy desert cars have different needs. One of those would beat you to death in short order out in the desert.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »
The big camber curve has been pointed out as necessary to control massive scrub many times. I still fail to see how that can possibly be good for high speed handling or is even a necessity. Help me out here.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
Less lateral wheel scrub will make the car more stable in the ruff at speed. If you have a lot of scrub and hit a bump with one tire at speed it will want to push the front of the car sideways. It's the difference between having a death grip on the wheel and 1 handing it like you just don't care.

Camber curve is just a tool for taming it. As a bonus it helps keep your tire planted in corners if you have a lot of body roll.

I-beam Fords with stock length beams and a lot of travel are notoriously fun in the whoops. Even with swingset steering to get rid of the stock bumpsteer they are a handful. When you have 10" of scrub per side, things are always interesting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal