Author Topic: Looking for a good Chain?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Looking for a good Chain?
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
I have been using this company for a couple years now. I have had no major chain issues. I typically use the Titanium II chain
http://sidewindersprockets.com/titanium_chain.html

But for my Busa builds I am ordering the XP chains
http://sidewindersprockets.com/xp_extreme_performance_chain.html  )

Great company to deal with... Expensive? Yes but you get what you pay for here IMO. they do offer a chain between these grades as well. They will cut to length. Buy the Master as well .

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Looking for a good Chain?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 06:03:05 AM »
I have been using this company for a couple years now. I have had no major chain issues. I typically use the Titanium II chain
http://sidewindersprockets.com/titanium_chain.html

But for my Busa builds I am ordering the XP chains
http://sidewindersprockets.com/xp_extreme_performance_chain.html  )

Great company to deal with... Expensive? Yes but you get what you pay for here IMO. they do offer a chain between these grades as well. They will cut to length. Buy the Master as well .

I'm not for sale. ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

standfast

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:05:49 AM »
Gimme 2 hours with it and it will be cooked.  :)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:07:48 AM »
That long? How have the chain cooling tests been going?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

standfast

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:14:34 AM »
Yeah, that long to burn out every o-ring in the entire chain.  ha 

Where I am at...  crappy cell phone pic

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
IMO its a good (the best) chain for guys running a large sprocket with a longer chain. Not sutable for 2 small srockets with a short run. Just donating info  8)

standfast

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:58:33 AM »
I know I am just vent my past chain frustrations. ;D 

It's a different story to make the chain live on a small single seater like the Edge type of cars vs a big (relatively) 2 seater with 31" tires on it.  Chain speed is the killer and a small car like that isn't going to be sitting at full throttle for hours at a time like I have to during a race just because of the nature of a smaller car and the type of terrain it is generally used on.  My previous chain setup (630 xring with a bilge blower 16T front and rear 15" C2C distance) would likely be OK for a sand car or a play car that will see limited bursts of speed and it was when I was out playing and doing that.  Maybe blast for 5 minutes WFO and then cruise for awhile to see where I am going next.  But WFO for several hours never letting off in a race would really smoke the chain.  Hopefully this oil bath will prevent that.  The oil bath itself is still heating up from heat transfer from the engine.  Probably up to 150-170 degrees but it has seemed to be much easier on the chain so far in preliminary testing.  I am going to AZ for a race this weekend so we will see how it holds up. 

Islander

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »
I haven't read the chain heat testing thread, (I'm not running chains when I build mine  ;) ) but wouldn't setting up a small heat exchanger like a trans cooler with a in line pump take care of heating issue's with the oil?  They use them on differentials in road racing and other motor sports, I'm sure it would work for you.  You could use a temp gauge to monitor it and just run the pump when heat is getting to be an issue, or hook up a sensor like the ones use to control electric fans to run the pump.  That way you would be able to keep the oil at a stable temp.

Or am I way off base, or re-stating info???

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
My question.  Has anyone tried a WRX differential in a buggy with a Hayabusa motor? You could avoid the chain all together.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
If you all wait until late spring 2010, I am currently working on a design that couples to a BUSA and eliminates the Chain with forward, Reverse, Ratio change options from about 4:1 to about 6:1 and possibly an internal mechanical oil pump with ports to run an optional cooler.

additonally Im shooting for it to handle a min of 300 HP. The output will be CV flanges and it will be a short package all together. The clutch slave will also be incorporated into the bolt up.

First proto type will be ready to test in Spring. If there are serious parties intrested I would like to get an idea as to what type of quantities Ill be making so express yur intrest to me please. I want to keep the price tag at around $3500. Im also open to suggestions on what you guys would like to see out of such a unit.

chrishallett83

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »
I'd whack the guts out of the LSD version of that from the STI in a nice short custom billet alloy housing.

standfast

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
If you all wait until late spring 2010, I am currently working on a design that couples to a BUSA and eliminates the Chain with forward, Reverse, Ratio change options from about 4:1 to about 6:1 and possibly an internal mechanical oil pump with ports to run an optional cooler.

additonally Im shooting for it to handle a min of 300 HP. The output will be CV flanges and it will be a short package all together. The clutch slave will also be incorporated into the bolt up.

First proto type will be ready to test in Spring. If there are serious parties intrested I would like to get an idea as to what type of quantities Ill be making so express yur intrest to me please. I want to keep the price tag at around $3500. Im also open to suggestions on what you guys would like to see out of such a unit.

I would start by using the zx14 instead of the busa.   ;D  Then you won't have to worry about the weak busa tranny or modifying it as well.  Plus it's more power to start with.   I guess it depends on it you are putting it in light little cars or bigger 2 seaters. 

You gonna turn the motor or leave it transverse?  The balance of the car gets a little far off when you turn the motor sideways IIRC. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:43:06 AM by standfast »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
Don't the old 240Z Datson have a rear end like that?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »
Havent decided on leaving the motor as it is normally mounted or turning it. Im still looking into what parts I want to use off the shelf if any. The Unit wll be designed in a way that the cases can be machined in different ways to suit a small window of high HP bike motors. The Busa, ZX14 and possibly future makes and models. Long way away yet to even really talk too much about it. Its not a pipe dream though. I have the investors and "design team" to help me acomplish what I want out of the prototype.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal