Author Topic: Square peg, round hole????  (Read 1879 times)

Islander

Square peg, round hole????
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »
I have a Suzuki Samurai, and a Subaru Impreza.  Almost everything on the Subaru is shot, (Brakes, body, etc) But the car runs like a champ and the trans is mint.  The engine in the Zuk is shot.  The obvious next step is to mate the two, right ::) 
What I'd like to do is to install the Subaru's engine and trans into the Samurai, keeping the Samurai's transfercase, axles, etc.  My question is, can you run the Subaru's trans off the rear output only?  How would I seal the output's for the FWD part of the trans?  I haven't looked too close under the car since I bought it, (wifes car, not allowed to modify  ;D )  can I just run a shaft to the Samurai's transfercase and be fine, or do I have some internal trans work to do?  I like to work with what I have here so I don't have to spend any money  ;D

LiveWire

Re: Square peg, round hole????
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
Unless someone specifically versed on that vehicle posts, I assume that there is some sort of diff between the rear output and the front/side outputs. The rear may not even get full power sent to it. Can you just use the front outputs to the front wheels and get rid of the transfer case? You'd probably have to change the rear diff ratio.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
 I'd look at the power transfer problem, too. Other than that...isn't the Sammy t-case 'divorsed'? if so and you get full power to the rear output, go for it!

chrishallett83

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
You can get adapter shafts to make the Subies gearbox RWD only for the purposes of drift racing.

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »
This would definately be an interesting build...Somebody better call Baloo ;D

Islander

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:17:22 AM »
Ok, so I joined up with a Subaru owners board and did so looking.  I can convert to RWD without spending any money, I just have to remove the center diff and weld it's circumference, then gut the front axles and use the stubs to plug the holes.  Not pretty, but this ain't no show queen, she's gonna be an offroader!!

Just did some searching, and the gear ratio's are very close between the two transmissions, and the rear gears are close too, although they are going to be replaced too, hopefully!  Going to look for a set of 4.56's for the Toy axles.  With the 31's and those gears, the ratio's will be really close, just a bit lower than stock. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:31:49 AM by Islander »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal