Author Topic: Gas Tanks  (Read 8269 times)

chrishallett83

Re: Gas Tanks
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 03:39:18 AM »
OK,has anyone given any thought of a kevlar or carbon fiber composite tank? If so what would a person do for a bladder or liner for it?

I know you can get carbon/kevlar C02 tanks for paintball guns, and even the tanks for the carbonation pump at the maccas I work at seem to be glassfibre.

I guess you would need to mold something dissolvable (polystyrene foam?) into the shape of the tank you want and then wrap it with a couple of layers of pre-preg and a few fittings. Cure it and dissolve the core, and away you go?

If you are using polyester resin, would it need a liner?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:40:53 AM by chrishallett83 »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »
Here's one of the tail tanks I made for a Piranah, and a Cuda tank.
 Yeah sorry master I didn't read too much of what you had written I just wanted to show off the tanks I did!  ::) I was look'n at Specs buggy last night actually and I don't know that I'd be too happy siting right next to that much gas, but that's just me. ;D
What difference does it make whether it's beside you or behind you? If it ruptures you're fried anyway.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »
I know you can get carbon/kevlar C02 tanks for paintball guns, and even the tanks for the carbonation pump at the maccas I work at seem to be glassfibre.

I guess you would need to mold something dissolvable (polystyrene foam?) into the shape of the tank you want and then wrap it with a couple of layers of pre-preg and a few fittings. Cure it and dissolve the core, and away you go?

If you are using polyester resin, would it need a liner?
Ethanol dramatically reduces and degrades polyester resins. Epoxy resins are very good for tanks but will also degrade in the presence of ethanol but not nearly as bad. I'd want a bladder or at least an ethanol proof coating inside it if I did one.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 06:20:25 AM »
I went back through and looked at the pictures of your car - as big as it is, it seems to me this should be an easy task but it does not appear to be.  When do you post new pictures? 

Also, i find it hard to believe that you did not design in a place for the tank?  You just pulling everybody's leg ain't you?

Not much room behind the seats to the motor?  That would be ideal IMO.  The second option is to mount two tanks to either side of the motor.  It looks like there is room there for two custom tanks?   Problem with that is the heat.  Don't know where you plan on putting the battery, but it could always go ahead of the passenger compartment at the foot well area?   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »
I pondered long and hard before putting the tank there ;D
Behind the seat wasn't good...Chain,hot pipes and secondary...all bad for the tank :-[ ...Already had the rad. up front I didn't like the Idea of having it between my legs like on alot of the stadium lites....I figured the least evil place was there...I rolled/broke it out of 14ga. with baffles, stuffed it with foam...for the filler I flapper valved used a dot approved filler neck, coiled vent tube to keep all vapor away from me, and fuel from leaving the tank in a rollover...If I had ever finished the bodywork the UMHW panels that I used on all the 460's IMO would have kept 99% of every body off of the tank...Here's some better pix

SPEC

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 06:41:46 AM »
There are definate flaws to the side pod tank theory...I'll be the 1st to tell you that...Especially when on the sand...Lukes car was an easy 3 times as large as mine...Fabr's is 4x bigger...If they T-boned me on the tank side...I think the cage would have kept them out...but a couple more bars wouldn't hurt...It did make a good arm rest...What's hard to tell from the pix is the fillerneck is inside the cage so it couldn't get hit in an impact

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 06:59:21 AM »
I went back through and looked at the pictures of your car - as big as it is, it seems to me this should be an easy task but it does not appear to be.  When do you post new pictures? 

Also, i find it hard to believe that you did not design in a place for the tank?  You just pulling everybody's leg ain't you?

Not much room behind the seats to the motor?  That would be ideal IMO.  The second option is to mount two tanks to either side of the motor.  It looks like there is room there for two custom tanks?   Problem with that is the heat.  Don't know where you plan on putting the battery, but it could always go ahead of the passenger compartment at the foot well area?   
Yes I planned for it behind the passenger seat  beside the engine.Can fit approx 8 gallons there. Haven't calculated the volume yet. Possibly add extra capacity with a smaller one mounted below the header with a heat shield on the drivers side behind the seat. There is room for a common sump or a crossover under the engine just behind the seat. Not pulling anyones leg. This is more of a theoretical topic. No room really for side tanks but I do wonder about that placement for the future. Seems like a good place to me.  Battery will mount in front of passengers legs if I don't use the second tank.  Plenty of room for that.  Where the battery goes and whether or not a secondary tank is used depends on capacity of main tank when fabbed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »
Place not to far from me called Engineered Fabrics.  They make hot air ballon fabric, those parade floats and  fabric fuel cells for the F-22 Raptor.  Some kinda of kevlar bladder, not a ridgid tank.  Kinda floops around like breast implants. ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »
There ya go! I'll look into them.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »
In case you meant the fuel bladder her you go:

Engineered Fabrics Corp
669 Goodyear Ave
Rockmart, GA 30153 Map

(770) 684-7855

If you meant breast implants then your on your on.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
  Thanks,I tried their website but its down. I'm wondering if they do one offs?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 01:04:14 PM »
The F-22 contrct was just canceled, they may be looking for lots of side jobs.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »
LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »
How bout getting a flexible bladder, put a little air in it, and then wrap it with glass.  That would give you the abillity to form it into the shape you want, have a hard shell, and protection against rupturing on impact.  It also solves the fuel eating the resin problem.
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
Where to get a custom bladder that doesn't cost a fortune?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal