Author Topic: tube bender  (Read 26422 times)

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
Re: tube bender
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »

You nailed it!...Shoxdr.-"I have one of the Allendale Rotary Encoders (UK). Yes they are cheap. BUT They are very well built, the display is easy to read. I spoken to the guys on more than one occasion face to face and they will not and do not sell crap. The encoder is made by Wixey

I fitted one to a Protools 105, with no problems. "

Offline Baloo

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »
cheers hammer

hows your steering box bender coming along ?
l might have a dabble with something simalar when this one is finished,
although it will probabally be a track motor or slew motor of an excavator

cheers Andy

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
Somewhere between stopped and not at all!

I would love to see what you come up with.I am interested in going the other way,as in I want to see how small of a box would work.Well,no smaller than a chevy pick-up box.1"-1.5" max.

Vern Lee,the guy that built the one in my thread said "it bent as fast as i could turn the handle",that works for me.

Congrats on your new bender.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
santa  came early   :o

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:58:23 PM by Baloo »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »
I am SOOOoooo jealous at the moment.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »
I am SOOOoooo jealous at the moment.

what you got to be jealous about Master, l am sure you have some nice toys/tools tucked away somewhere  ;)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
Maybe,but YOU have a nice powered bender. Only bender power I have is one idiot-me(,since I have yet to mount the ram eyes ;D ;D) I gotta take a break before the next build to get a few things done to make my life easier and the builds quicker.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »
well l have been dicking around  with the bender, thought l was going to be bending today but alas not yet
 small technical issue to get over  ( balls up  :laugh: )

the plates/arms l was playing around with when l started this were 15mm thick, since the lazer cutters can only cut up to 12mm l decided to just double up 2 8mm plates figuring 16mm is better than 15mm,   wrong l didn't think far enough ahead   eyes

problem is here

since the moving arms are thicker they wont slip back inside the fixed arms, l cant moved the fixed arms out as the red frame is all welded up  eyes

2 options spring to mind,  l get some new arms cut in 6mm plate either just 2 swing arms or maybe a full set and use an 8mm and a 6mm together to give me 14mm and the clearance l need,  by having a full set cut in 6mm l would end up with 2 sets of plates consisting of an 8mm and a 6mm, the reasoning being that l have almost all the bits to build a second bender which l could sell on ebay and maybe get all my outlay back and end up with mine for nothing, all depends on weather it will sell or not l suppose ??

second option just take the grinder to the frame  and cut on the yellow line as below, spread the frame 4mm and weld a thin section in,  certainly cheaper   ;)

found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250947351227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

cheap enough, if l can get one l can use to stop the stroke and make repeat bends

Andy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:27:33 PM by Baloo »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
Baloo I see three quick and dirty things you may try if you are feeling like it?

The first would be to machine the dies pivot tube down some. But that does require risking a $$ part some. But it would make it skinnier. I cannot tell if there is enough tube to be machined down to clear?

The second may or may not work and that would be to machine a round hold in the innermost moving arms where it hits the dies tube then the dies round tubewould fit inside the arm some. This however may not work well with all your dies.

The last idea I had quick and was to move the outer arm outside the red frame area and then the inner fixed arm would be where the outer fixed is now to get the clearance you need. Just have to make a few spacers to connect them together at a few spots.

I dunno those ideas just hit me quick like.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »
Or of course could just move BOTH fixed outer arms to outside the frame. Worse to worse on that would mean a little longer pins needed and maybe some shims to center the dies.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Or....

You might consider drawing a line across the outside of the fixed arms across the top of the bender. Then remove them from the bender and machine away to this mark line in a mill enough stock on the outer arms that the inners just clear to swing through. 

Offline Baloo

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
hi Nutz

you certainly have your thinking head on  :laugh:

machining the centre boss down by a 1/4" was an idea l was thinking of, and there is certainly enough meat on there to loose a bit as the pic shows,

however l am determined to think ahead this time, how wide is a 2" die ? must be wider than the 1.5" that l have now l guess  :laugh:  so chopping the centre boss down might stop me getting a 2" die at a latter date

putting a plate each side of the red frame has merit would give me 16mm if l did both sides or 8mm if l just did the one ?   sounds the easiest ??

would need new pins but thats no great problem is it

Andy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:58:07 PM by Baloo »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
Or....

You might consider drawing a line across the outside of the fixed arms across the top of the bender. Then remove them from the bender and machine away to this mark line in a mill enough stock on the outer arms that the inners just clear to swing through.

think that sounds the best way to go, good thinking there

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
The moving of the arms means you loose no arm strength.

The machining of the arms would loose a little perhaps. Have to weigh the differance between the work that would involve or your original idea of just widening the whole stand part and see what would be easiest.

You got any red paint left? :] 

Windening the whole stand deal might be the best yet. I was just floating some idears.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
yer plenty of red paint left  :laugh:

just had a look at it,  to many things to cut to widen it, 2 shelves, hyd valve mounting plate etc etc,

machining or making to new 6mm swing arms would seem to be the way to go l think 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal