Author Topic: Snowmobile belt size  (Read 7791 times)

SPEC

Re: Snowmobile belt size
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 10:28:19 AM »
So...
Whats the prize?

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »
I dress myself and I can spell. Jesus Tim I just can't type fast.
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »
There you got a +

=+
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

SPEC

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
If Ida known that I wudda put my glasses on

LiveWire

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
The picture of the chain case confirmed what I suspected when I read the first post. That sled was built after the Massey sled division was purchased by Scorpion. If info is sparse on that particular model, it is probably because it is more similar to a Scorpion than the other Massey Models. A Massey Whirlwind is a Scorpion whip with a different hood. Later when Cat bought Scorpion, the Scorpion Sidewinder was an El Tigre and one of the Massey names as well. It may have been the Chinook.

I have several of those engines, but most of mine are 440s. They can also have the name JLO or Rockwell with minor differences. The 440 Rockwells with the 6 bolt heads and thicker rings held up much better for us. The JLOs in the Massey Ski Whiz would periodically burn up the PTO side since the air has to pass the mag side cylinder first. The Scorpion Whip had hood ducting that probably helped. I have heard for summer running, the upper pulley could be reduced in size to increase the fan speed. If I were to mess with one now, I might consider going to dual carbs so I could run the PTO side richer.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »
It won't be running for more than about 30 seconds at a time, so I hope we don't have too much overheating problems. Thanks for the information. Tim

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »
It won't be running for more than about 30 seconds at a time,

You running with arrowhead?  ::)

(F!  I crack myself up sometimes.....)
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »
You running with arrowhead?  ::)

(F!  I crack myself up sometimes.....)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  That was a good one.  I hope fabr reads this.  ;D

SPEC

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 05:57:28 AM »
 ;D

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »
Progress: Installed lower shaft mount,tubes to brace frame and locate belt guard,throttle adapter.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
I finally got this project welded and assembled. I need some help from any sled guys. I put a 38 keihin on this snowmobile engine. I am at a loss for what jetting it needs. I started with 175 main, 55 pilot, needle in middle clip position. Really rich[safe]. I changed to 45 pilot and needle in top notch[lean]. I have only ran it on stand. My ? is do twins require leaner jetting than singles? My cr500 required leaner jetting with larger carb. Please help, we don't have many snowmobile engines here. Tim

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  That was a good one.  I hope fabr reads this.  ;D
;D ;D ;D I just now did. ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Bugpac

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »
there is no specs to jet it, adjust the pilot so it idles well, adjust the needle so it doesn't bog when you crack from idle to half throttle, there is a difference between lean bog and rich bog, put a main jet in it that bogs when you stomp the throttle wide open, adjust down from there... that is the safe way IMO...

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
Thanks Bug. Hope to get to play with it this week. Tim

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
We got to tune and race the car. I dropped main jet 4 sizes down and it runs fair. It kind of bogs off line. I can't tell if it's carb or gearing. We are going to try both. We may try carb off ltz400[accelerator pump], Has anyone tried such combo? Anyway, best time was 7.6 second 100 yard on wet sand. He let off some. Best mph was 41. It was about right for an 8 year old.  Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal