Author Topic: first outing  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Jerry

first outing
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
It started out good and went south quick. The first trip around the desert went well in low gear.    The fan would not come on kept blowing 10 amp fuzes so ran it without the fuze and it worked.  Couldn't get the transmission into high gear.  So, wasn't able to check the brakes.  The turning radius is much larger than I hoped for.  When I got it home I could not get it to run without bogging out to get it into the garage.  It was a smooth riding buggy but has a few exhaust leaks.  Does anyone have any thoughts on why I can't get the Polaris 700 transmission into high gear? 

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: first outing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
It started out good and went south quick.

Sorry to hear of the frustrations.  I know the folks here will help out. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »
It started out good and went south quick. The first trip around the desert went well in low gear.    The fan would not come on kept blowing 10 amp fuzes so ran it without the fuze and it worked.  Couldn't get the transmission into high gear.  So, wasn't able to check the brakes.  The turning radius is much larger than I hoped for.  When I got it home I could not get it to run without bogging out to get it into the garage.  It was a smooth riding buggy but has a few exhaust leaks.  Does anyone have any thoughts on why I can't get the Polaris 700 transmission into high gear?

sorry to hear that as well.... Was the fan the polaris fan, maybe it draws more than 10 amps? was you able to get high gear prior. maybe the linkage needs adjusting, is there some sort of stop on the shift lever?

Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »
Your front tires on on the wrong sides of the car as well... ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:50:11 PM »

The Joys of R&D.

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:05:11 AM »
Sorry to hear Jerry,
1st outins often are a bear, little things forgotten, will always come up and bite you in the butt. Just cuz they can.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »
Got the tranny issue figured out. There is a thing on the tranny that needs to be pulled down on so that it will go into park and high gear.

The fan (spall), i am going to try a 20 amp fuse. The relay i am using is a 20/30amp and that works the fan if i direct wire it to the battery, if the 20 blows i will try a 30 amp.

The bogging out i think was a lose wire, I hope.

?? I just got my no lose valve to fill the shocks. I am not sure it works right. I get full blow by/thur the valve when the t is all the way down or up (when not attached to the shock,
have not tried to fill a shock yet just playing with it.

Bugpac i just got the relays and bus bar in, not sure what the 5th wire does on the relay???

Admin

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
I think the idea is to turn the tank off, attach the no loss, tapdown and turn valve on. when it equalizes, tap up...turn tank off...

Not sure on wire 5, have to find a diagram...

Admin

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »

87 has power when switched on, 87a has power when switched off, so you could have a dummy light come on when your fan was off, it would go out when your fan turned on, Id just forget it is even there and use the four poles....So the switch bounces between 87/87a depending on if power is off or on....

Admin

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
The spall fan is probbaly drawing 10.5 amps, try a 15 first...

Offline Jerry

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »
Thank again Bugpac

I am getting steam blowing out around the radiator cap this mean i have a bad cap correct.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 08:13:50 PM »
Good call on the relays bug.  The Five wire relays are kind of universal you can wire them to either be triggered on or triggered off, I forget the correct term. 
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »
Thank again Bugpac

I am getting steam blowing out around the radiator cap this mean i have a bad cap correct.
May not be bad .Might need to be a higher pressure rating tho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
Good call on the relays bug.  The Five wire relays are kind of universal you can wire them to either be triggered on or triggered off, I forget the correct term. 
Normally open/normally closed.   NO or NC
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
Normally open/normally closed.   NO or NC

That's it!  I learned to do some cool shit with relays back in highschool I worked at a stereo/tuner shop.
This post has been edited due to content.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal