Author Topic: Airtabs (split from rv gps)  (Read 4678 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Airtabs (split from rv gps)
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
also just added these to my th'er tonight and am taking it on a 5 hr drive to imperial ne this weekend so we'll see what diff they make. ???????

http://airtab.com/how-do-they-work.htm

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
Was quite a discussion about those a while back. Interested in what your opinion is.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

millbilly

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »
I talked to a long haul trucker that had them on his sleeper. Said, 1/4 mpg improvement.
In the snow, it was pushing it away from the trailer into next lane.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06:07 AM »
For around $400 for the truck and trailer,I'd expect a lot more improvement.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 07:15:04 AM »
At 50,000 miles a yr avg mpg 6. 1/4 mile increase.  $3 diesel. You'd get your $400 back in 5 months, then you be rollin in extra cash you can waste invest in drugs, women, and sand toys!!  ;D ;D

See Fabr, your lookin at it all wrong.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:42:43 AM »
At 50,000 miles a yr avg mpg 6. 1/4 mile increase.  $3 diesel. You'd get your $400 back in 5 months, then you be rollin in extra cash you can waste invest in drugs, women, and sand toys!!  ;D ;D

See Fabr, your lookin at it all wrong.
LMAO LMAO LMAOI put about 10K a year on the toter and trailer. In 5 years the adhesive will be coming loose and I'll be lucky to break even. ;) ;) IF I were to use them it would be so this underpowered rig would be a bit more slippery and possibly perform better at highway speeds ,mpg gains would be irrelevant to me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »
It has been proven to save fuel but the real benefit is the stability while driving. On the cab of a semi that has a large gap between the truck and trailer, it stops the air from rushing against the front of the trailer. On the rear or the trailer it really helps cut down on the aero drag caused by the suction created by the trailer.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:10:31 PM by D Walker »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
Do you run them DW?  When I brought them up the idea was not MPG so much as sway.  I will look for that thread.....
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »
Here you go.  Last time we talked air tabs.....

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=3888.msg66093#msg66093

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
No I don't have them on my trucks Yummi. The reason is because we pull container freight and with the corrugated sides there is no real benefit. Livewire is right in his posts. A "V" nose trailer does very little to combat aerodynamic loss. The way to combat aero drag is to keep the air flowing down the side, and over the top, smoothly. The biggest loss is the air rushing into the gap behind the tractor and the vacuum created as air rushes around the back of the trailer. The air tabs address both of these issues. That thread was older and the comments were made that they weren't seen much. I think that has changed and they are on lots of trucks now. Just as you see more trailers with the tails on them. The other main drag is the aid rushing under the trailer and running into the axles. That is being addressed with either side skirts or the wedge systems you see in front of the axles. Those systems also include small air diverters to push air up from the bottom and down from the top to fill the vacuum.

The most aerodynamic shape is actually a teardrop. Where the air rolls around the front, hugs the sides and slips off the back. Tucking companies are looking at all kinds of things to get better aerodynamics. I'm sure you have seen semi trucks now have hubcaps to stop air from entering the rear wheels? Also they are now putting the aero plates between the drive tires and small extensions on the back of the drives. Again, all done to keep the air hugging the vehicle until it exits the rear.

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
Benefits to guys pulling box trailers with buggies and stuff.....

Maybe a bit more mpgs but more stability and much better vision in the rain as they stop a lot of the spray off the back of the trailer.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »
So ,are you saying that the aero drag being reduced should "add" HP to my rig?Ya,I know,not really adding any HP but rather freeing up HP to help power me up hills/long grades? If so , would the performance increase be noticable in your opinion pulling long grades where I either lose 15mph or even have to downshift? My toter/trailer is basically a baby semi@70ish foot long depending on which trailer I pull.2-3 foot shorter height .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
Aero drag is directly related to speed.  No speed, no drag.  In the case of a long grade, you loose speed, so the decrease in drag (increase in "power" ) would likewise decline. 

For weekend / occasional haulers the benefit is the sway is my take away.  Clean up the air, clean up the trailer whip. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
I have zero whip as I am. I understand what you are saying,yummi. I was reading on airtabs site that anything over 40 is where the benefit begins. I was thinking I might see the benefit of reduced drag when I normally drop from 70 to 55 on a longer grade. Maybe be 70 dropping to 60 with the tabs perhaps? DW,what do the truckers think? Any benefit of them when pulling a grade?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »
So ,are you saying that the aero drag being reduced should "add" HP to my rig?Ya,I know,not really adding any HP but rather freeing up HP to help power me up hills/long grades? If so , would the performance increase be noticable in your opinion pulling long grades where I either lose 15mph or even have to downshift? My toter/trailer is basically a baby semi@70ish foot long depending on which trailer I pull.2-3 foot shorter height .

No, I don't think you would notice much of a difference other than driving wet roads and being passed by other big trucks and the small increase in mpg.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal