Author Topic: Honda powered?  (Read 5315 times)

Icky

Honda powered?
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »
I don't know if this goes half in one section and half in another but I've been kicking around the idea of building a car for awhile now, in between trying to save money to buy a house i think i can build one in time for next season in between working 2400 hours a year ;D. I started off with a simple plan was gonna use a 1999 600 ninja with an rpm or jeffco, then kicked around making a solid axle rear, the list goes on and on. I want to put a Honda b16 in something along the size of a long travel rhino, with 930s ( i think) and hopefully mid engine. what transaxle should or could it be hooked up to without spending 6k plus? My main concern is reliablity, that's why i think i'm going with the honda motor, those cars run forever. maybe i should call az trans? but i value your guys's opinions, thanks guys.

trojan

Re: Honda powered?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »
Don't confuse Honda cars with Honda bikes. Different design team and end results ;)

In my opinion MC engine toughness goes:
Suzuki toughest
Kawasaki almost as tough as Suzuki
Yamaha & Honda not as tough (or as well designed) but still perfectly useable
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:31:33 PM by trojan »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:18:02 AM »
Icky,

Sounds like you are thinking Bus Box.  Lots of Honda cars out there. Some guys run them in the buggies.  Adapter plates, etc might be tough to come by, but not too bad. 

One option, as it sounds as though cost is a concenr, is to use a vw on the front end - hear me out here folks. No rad, or ecu costs etc, and oddles of parts.  Now as far as reliable - do you have to maintain them?  yep.  Get you home at the end of the day?  Yep. 

Could be a slick car and the transition to honda / water cooled, if planed from the get go, would be fairly easy......
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Icky

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:58:18 PM »
is that what you're running, a bus box?  you have the sub motor right? I'd rather stay with the honda cause i friends that can get me a real good deal on one complete, they do all that import stuff. I don't see me needing to have that thing push over 200 hp, so i don't need a mendi or anything like that i don't think.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
yep.  Bus is good to about 300 is what I hear.  Even if you get to 250+ you would still be good.  Check with bill of aztrans - he can help and is a heck of a nice guy.

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Icky

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »
didn't you just break yours or get it fixed? how'd you do that? or did i read that somewhere else? What kind of car do you have? Sorry for all the questions

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »
I did break it, and it is fixed. 

I did it by failing to honor rule number 1 - DON'T USE REVERSE IN THE FFN SAND. 

So, I got to pay the cost to learn that lesson.  Was the box in great shape to begin with - nope - not likly, the way it was explained to me is the tranmission was good, the differential was worn / not so good - i put it over the top.......

None of them cant be broken.  Albins, Fortin, Mendeola, they all break.  When is the only answer to consider. 

But, in my mind the bus box, for my application, is a good choice for me.  Would likely be a good choice for lots of cars using auto power below 300 hp and a budget constraint.  Would a Mendeola hold up better - sure.  But at that price, I am out of the game.   Having said that, a Mendi 2D is - I have been told - about 2k more than a "built bus."   Course it is a lot more than a "stock built" bus.  So, maybe it is pay it now, or pay it later? 

Or, in my case, pay it once, pull my head out and call it good?  Friend of mine got 7 years on his bus box.   Assuming I keep the cr, I would expect I will NOW do the same.   

Note to self - repeeat again and again on the long drive to the dunes:

"Dont use effn reverse in the sand"
repeat again:

repeat again:

repeat again:

repeat again:

repeat again:

That helps, I feel better now...   It's a shame I get to sleep between now and them. 

Car = Sand Limo Squirt.  Ask away, that is the purpose of the forum....

Icky

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »
I like the sand squirt, a friend of mine has one with the gsxr1000 in it. Here's my novice question for the hour, why shouldn't you use reverse in the sand, or was it the way you were using it? Thank you for the help

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
On of the smart guys will tell us "why you should not"  my answer - it makes a loud "pop" when you do.   

My inclination is they are designed to go forward not backward, so, there is the why for me.  Again, one of the smart guys can help with the "real" reason. 

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
I like the sand squirt, a friend of mine has one with the gsxr1000 in it. Here's my novice question for the hour, why shouldn't you use reverse in the sand, or was it the way you were using it? Thank you for the help

The reverse gear is just very small and weak.  The Mendi 2D I believe uses the same gear.... so it is not an upgrade in that department.  It addresses the forward weakness of the bus.....  The ring gear.  Mendi 2D uses a much larger ring and pinion, but the 1-4 gearset and reverse are the same as in a "built" bus.

Icky

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
I guess i'll have to wait for one of the smart guys, maybe they can explain why they have reverse in them if we shouldn't use them.  ??? nevermind someone just answered as i was thinking of something to say. Sooooooooooo it's usable just be nice to it? I don't want to drive in reverse everywhere  ;D i was just wondering in case i needed it.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Sooooooooooo it's usable just be nice to it? I don't want to drive in reverse everywhere  ;D i was just wondering in case i needed it.

If "just backing out of this hole" turns into, "I will just pop the clutch at wide open to get out", you will definately hear Yummi's POP.  :P :P :P ;D

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »
Mine was "backing out of hole"  no popping of clutch required.  Course I was also backing "up" instead of "down." 

Icky

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Where did you get your box from orginally? Do you think it's more solid now that AZ fixed it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:48:04 AM »
All engineer and yummi have posted is correct.The reverse is and always will be the weak point of the bus trans and the higher dollar mendi's.Reverse is just too small no matter what you make it from. On the other hand be nice to it and it will serve the purpose pretty well.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal