Author Topic: How about this for plunging CV's shafts?  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: How about this for plunging CV's shafts?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 08:17:35 AM »
I would wait till spring but I don't think my girlfriend will hold out that long.  she's been living in our new house for a year now without me.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
last week we got 13 inches of snow.. and it has been a blowing bitch ever since. drifts everywhere. has not gotten warmer than 0 during the day and gets down to -10 at night, then you have windchill.....  :(
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SPEC

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
It's 11 am here end -21 with a wind chill of -40...and it's the high for today 8)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 10:14:13 AM »
It's 11 am here end -21 with a wind chill of -40...and it's the high for today 8)
I feel your pain. 

It will only be 60 here today - I might need a sweater...... BBBBBRRRRRRR!!
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
I will have to say Voodoo chikens rendering is pretty dang good expression of what I was trying to say (Heck its better than mine by a good shot!). It DOES take a little more width to the center section AS DOES my first rendering (Top diagram in my  "sketch" on first page.)  So thats why I came up with my second version. Its practically a bolt in with parts anyone of us can buy pretty local to us.

Boostinjdm's rendering certainly makes for a clean layout and a nice look. The shaft coming out of the cv (the one on the left) is easy. The part coming from the right would be tougher. Does anyone here now where you might get a female splined shaft like that?  I wonder what a shaft place would charge to make such a unit? this would be a cool setup if it were to be had reasonable$$$. 

I don't see any benefit to flipping the cvs so the star stays put and the housing pivots.

The main reason this occured to me to "flip them" so the star stays put and the housing pivots is easy.

Most of us can cut and drill a flange on a simple lathe that we can bolt to the outside of a common CV flange. Then this nice big round piece of metal is easy to weld to a common car driveshaft slip joint. Connecting to a large round 6 bolt flange at each end makes a part we can make and make stout.

The percentage of us that can make a splined unit that goes INSIDE the CV stars "and plunge" is far less I would wager.

I know some (Bug said he has I beleive I remember. Correct me if I am mistaken Bug) have welded splined shafts together (I think for this same reason?? To add a slip joint or??). But with most splined CV shafts thats a very short distance around and not much weld area VS a common driveshaft tube thats many more inches of available weld area to add strength. Getting splined shafts made for center spools for the stars to ride on is easy. The outer axle is still a bit of a hunt for my first diagram but I am thinking on it. Its the primary reason I thought of the second version.

The second version was to allow use of a common VW style axle or any other for that matter.

CV Question for those in the know....  The Front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive CV's that allow NO plunge, do they have something built in that accomodates thrust?  Another words is there something that controls plunge at zero?  So if you did use a slip joint, could there be an issues of the star coming out of the CV?  I assume that it is somehow held in place, and that the Inner tripod or CV allows for all the plunge.

Common street cars have little travel so the inner joint does normally take ALL the plunge. It sees only a few degrees of angle. The outer cv is a balled captured CV so it can do huge degree numbers to steer the car but has no back and forth plunge. The star in an outer CV of a common street car is not coming out of that joint if its in good condition unless you remove the axle. Tip the star sideways and castrate it (remove its ballz!).  Then they normally have to be spun to a certain way (as does the ball cage) to still come out after that. 

All this snow is probably my fault. I traded my sled for a quad.......So thus its snowing like no tommorrow.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 10:27:30 AM »
The inners do not see huge angles, but they do see a lot of plunge, the whole cv on the outboard side swings as it turns...you may have the drive shaft moving for and aft the centerline 2+ inches, so IMO the inner tripod joints plunge a lot, that is exactly why they are on there...

Admin

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:37 AM »
to add, a non plunging ball cv does not fall apart when you turn the star either, you have to work at it to get it apart and back together...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
I wonder if something like a front driveshaft out of a 99 dodge dakota would work for the slip part?  either way you look at it, you're going to have the same number of splined shafts that have to fit the cv stars if running the 930 or vw joints plus the slip joints.  as far as the right shaft in my rendering  I think some dom with a splined shaft pressed in then welded on the cv side would work then a female splined hub, turned down, pressed in, then welded would work on the slip side.  as far as the welding goes, some front wheel drive cars have hollow axles with solid ends,  the only way to do that that I know of is to weld them somewhere.  They would need a proper preheat/post heat ofcourse.

Admin

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »
the front drive tube axle cars would be the best to start with, cut them in half and add slips, My axles plunge in my car, and if one was to look at them close, not that complicated, one end does have to be splined, but there is peep around to do that.. ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 11:09:14 AM »
since we are talking splines, you got any ideas where to get a female splined center section other than cutting apart a diff.  I want to buy off the shelf honda civic axles and then just pop them in like they do in the car.  That way I got spares for my car and if I break one I can get it warranteed.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »
Boostinjdm I think the cheapest thing to find those splines IS gonna be snagging a diff.

If you can find a place to do internal splines as cheap as you can find and snag a diff PLEASE let us know! 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »
That sounds like a challenge.  I'm pretty sure I'll fail though. 

Admin

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
That sounds like a challenge.  I'm pretty sure I'll fail though.

don't be surprised...Why not try it engineers way and kill 2 birds with one stone? Have one custom welded cv is all, could easily have a spare tho...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal