Author Topic: Can't find the right combo to build a buggy.  (Read 7595 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Can't find the right combo to build a buggy.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
Everyone at -mbn has gone googoo gaagaa over arrowheads use of the honda tranny. He has yet to put it to any real hard use behind the busa. From my understanding he used it quite a bit with a smaller engine. He's also not a hard use driver. IMO the jury is out on this one.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 01:43:48 PM »
Being many are not gonna have a Hayabusa running thru it then then the Honda tranny may lend itself well. I will admit I ould like to see Arrowheads in a video putting some hurt thru it.

As for Bugs Idea of a different tranny facing the other way for a direct coupling there would be some serious offset to the motor and tranny.  All front drive trannies I have seen (with a sideways motor) have the diff offset to one side.
I heard at one point the Dodge Daytonas and the like (the last ones) had the diff moved over to the middle more to center it for torque steering issues but I have never seen one. Even with the diff closer to the center if it was offset it may require the motor to far offset still?

Plus Dodge trannies are junk. They are made out of frozen butter.

I guess the good apart is with the genral bulk of the Honda tranny if it fails it should be easy to work a spool or RPM tranny in its place. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
Being many are not gonna have a Hayabusa running thru it then then the Honda tranny may lend itself well. I will admit I ould like to see Arrowheads in a video putting some hurt thru it.

As for Bugs Idea of a different tranny facing the other way for a direct coupling there would be some serious offset to the motor and tranny.  All front drive trannies I have seen (with a sideways motor) have the diff offset to one side.
I heard at one point the Dodge Daytonas and the like (the last ones) had the diff moved over to the middle more to center it for torque steering issues but I have never seen one. Even with the diff closer to the center if it was offset it may require the motor to far offset still?

Plus Dodge trannies are junk. They are made out of frozen butter.

I guess the good apart is with the genral bulk of the Honda tranny if it fails it should be easy to work a spool or RPM tranny in its place.

A ton of gm trans have the same axles left and right..

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »
I aint saying your wrong because I have never seen. Can you name a car ( and maybe a year(ish)) that had equal axles?
Just so I could take a peek net time I hit the yards? I have looked at many that are offset even of late. Just wondering  what they are in. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
I aint saying your wrong because I have never seen. Can you name a car ( and maybe a year(ish)) that had equal axles?
Just so I could take a peek net time I hit the yards? I have looked at many that are offset even of late. Just wondering  what they are in.

cavalier has same length axles, tho doubtingly up to the task...

LiveWire

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »
The FWD drive cars I have seen with equal axles all had an intermediate shaft. So they basically have two short axles.

A stock FL350 will run 60mph.

Gundog

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
I like the idea of the Honda trans for several reasons by using the setup the way arrowhead did his, the engine and trans get centered in the Kart so I think it would balance better. I like the choice of gearing for everything from crawling over rough terrain and higher choices for some speed blasts. They also have a limited slip diff available for the Honda trans if I later decided I needed it.

The one thing I would do differently from arrowhead is add a little more space between the engine and trans for a longer chain.

For an engine I see a few R1's around that fit my price range. There is one on craigslist right now with the ecu and wiring for 1K. I can probably pick up a trans for 2 bills. I have the fab skills and equipment to connect the 2 together.

My preference would be an 800CC Polaris automatic with a transfer case for low range but all the ones I see used are running 5K.

I am pretty easy on my equipment and I have no plans to race it just go out and have fun. The R1 engine would be used in stock form with just a nice airbox setup for offroad and sand.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:10:28 PM by Gundog »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »
For that it will likely be fine and cheap.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Bug

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 11:17:44 PM »
Provided you can keep the wieght under control, its hard to beat a 700 Yamaha Raptor engine. Reverse is there too.
Lots of hop up stuff, you can turbo them but I would not if you were to use it in the woods and it fits the profile of the speed range you want to be in. You can get about 60 hp without reliability issues and on ebay, 1800 will get you started. Maybe a bit pricey but you won't need a gearbox. 2500 is about the total cost for engine after a slight buildup.  Almost all coming off of ebay or craigslist.  But if your using larger tube and pipe, go the R1.
You can't push anywhere near the same heft. That R1 is a monster in comparison. Just chiming in cause of what you said you were looking for earlier in the post.

Bug

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 11:23:35 PM »
just re-read the initial post, you said under 2000, you can use the 660 raptor and be in for under 2000, parting it together on ebay. You can find 03 or higher for about 2500 complete, part out what you don't need and be in for abour 1500.  Just don't get any raptor that isn't 03 or newer. Too many problems with starters and transmissions.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 11:27:42 PM »
With a little searching you might socre a 700 for a tiny more than a 660 and all the shops around here tell me the 700 is far more reliable than the 660 by far.

Toss in the fuel injection and the little extra dough may be well spent if this is the kind of motor you like.

Somebody had one with a 660 (I think it was that and not the 700) and had thier build online and even some video of it.

Admin

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 07:53:19 AM »
Im not sold on the raptor engine myself, the torque numbers are to weak IMO..

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
I think there is a new player for this discussion Artic Cat 1000?

the designers developed it for maximum torque, and claim 188 ft. lb. at the crankshaft.   Transmission: Automatic CVT with EBS

http://www.atvriders.com/atvreviews/arcticcat2008thundercat1000utilityatvpressintro.html

Spike Load Dampener is a drive line clutch system that is designed to slip if the drive line receives a spike in torque from a harsh landing or impact, which could otherwise damage the drive line

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 09:50:45 AM »
Nice one Yummi. Do you know if that has reverse built in? I wonder what kind of HP it makes that torque at? Also its weight.  Is it shaft drive out or a sprocket? Have to see more about this one.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
The link did not work for me at first (computer and dialup issues...  :(  )

But then it went thru. Nice the pic you posted makes the motor look not to big but when they show it next to the machine its a honker!

They claim the quad can tow 1050 lbs so a little extra weight of a buggy would be "towable" with it.   

Definetly one to watch for a tree kisser wreck for that engine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal