Author Topic: Can't find the right combo to build a buggy.  (Read 7594 times)

Gundog

Can't find the right combo to build a buggy.
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
To start with I own a Chinese mini buggy an 800 CC model. I would like to build a buggy similar to what I have but without the Chinese issues. I like the size of my buggy and the basic suspension system. I don't like the Chinese engine and lack of easy to get parts non welded roll cage Etc. I like to trail ride as well as going to the dunes. Using a motorcycle engine does not seem like the best way to go for me I want reverse and spending big bucks on a FNR box blows what I want to spend on the build. I want to keep my power plant and trans light.

I would like to build my own frame or buy a Prosand and make an adjustable suspension front and back now my only adjustment is toe in and out and some shock adjustment. I have looked into small car engines with front wheel drive like what I have but it seems the gearing is all wrong and first gear ends up being too tall this is a problem I am having with the China buggy.

I am thinking an ATV engine and trans might work for what I want to do but I don't know where I can buy a wrecked ATV to cannibalise. I would like to build a buggy like a Ridge Runner.

If I could figure the engine trans thing out I would build a buggy I just have not been able to come up with something that will work for what I want to spend. I don't want to spend more than $2K on an engine and trans. A CVT system would be great I just don't want to end up with an under powered buggy when it is all complete. I should add I am wanting to build a 2 seat-er.

Any Ideas on what to use?

Mike

boltz2012

Re: Can't find the right combo to build a buggy.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »
look at my project log Gundog and you will see i am doing the same thing as you are right now using a prosand frame i built from the plans. Lot of good info in there. still working on mine and will hopefully have a roller by tonight or tomarrow. Later

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:28:14 PM »
Just what are you wishing for it performance wise? Top speed? Normally used speed? How slow also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Gundog

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »
Just what are you wishing for it performance wise? Top speed? Normally used speed? How slow also.

I think 70-100 HP top speed 50-60 MPH and run it at around 20-30 MPH would be where it would be ran the most. I don't need rock crawling slow but slow enough at idle to creep over some rough terain and have enough HP to be able to take off on an incline without revving to 5K and dumping the clutch.
Mike

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »
Hmmm,not asking for much are you? I'm afraid some of the cvt guys will need to chime in on this one.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 05:24:11 AM »
AH the CVT guys,
I've been a sled guy from my 1st build in the 80's,  These days you can get a pretty good power plant from some of the big polaris 4x4's...Keeping hi and lo range, and the reverse, if you keep the weight down I think you could have a pretty fun buggy, with an okay top speed prolly in the 50 mph range,and be able to drop into low range for sheer grunt power,
There is a huge MC/ATV wrecking yard here in MN called sportwheels, they have many thousands of parts, I think about 50 acres of wrecked bikes, I used to be affilliated with them,I think the link is
www.sportwheels.com

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:26:07 AM »
Sorry, My BAD...It's
http://www.sportwheel.com/

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
Damn ,it must have been late last night.I thought I read you wanted 100MPH top speed.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:03:51 AM by VLADD »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Gundog

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
Damn ,it must have been late last night.I thought I read you wanted 100MPH top speed.

100 MPH is way too fast for an old guy like me maybe when I was 20.

boltz2012

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »
Hmmm,not asking for much are you?

Thats funny stuff...I really thought you were being sarcastic. Cuz i read it right and thought that was pretty reasonable. LOL

VLADD

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 03:04:39 AM »

That's just cuz your eyes went bad...They say thats the second thing to go ;D

Gundog

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
I know this combo won't fit in my price range but, what would it cost to get the Weber motor and a CVT setup that would handle the HP of the Weber? Where can you buy the Weber motor I searched for a source but could not find anything?

I am thinking about using a bike engine with the Honda car transmission it seems the gearing would be great.

Mike

Admin

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
Why everyone is set on a honda trans is beyond me, if someone used a regular trans, "bell housing on thee right side" they could direct coupler right to it...

Gundog

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 02:00:03 AM »

Admin

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:13:13 AM »
What transmission would you suggest?

I dont have a suggestion, but just one that has the bell housing on the other side, and has a more center cv arraignment...At the same time i would lock the diff tho, as the diff will be the first thing that breaks...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal