Author Topic: busa buggy owners  (Read 9352 times)

southernford246

busa buggy owners
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:23:04 AM »
what exhaust pipes are you guys running and did you guys run the stock oil cooler or an after market cooler?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: busa buggy owners
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
what exhaust pipes are you guys running and did you guys run the stock oil cooler or an after market cooler?

I cant give ya much of anything on exhaust since I just run a dump pipe out of the turbo, but before I planned on going the boosted route, I was going to use a Yoshimura 4 into 1. It was a 4 piece design that would of been very simple to adapt (and Yosh just sound good too..)

I use an oil cooler off of a 2000 Grand Caravan. Perfect size (for me..) better flow characteristics than a stock busa cooler, easy to come by, and easily adaptable to -6 AN fittings.. Alot of guys like to bypass the cooler altogether on the bikes, but it is hell on the oil. You can see a difference between cooled oil and non cooled oil after 500 miles of normal ridding the bike. Plus I dropped 10 degrees average coolant temp after going back to an oil cooler.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
Alot of guys like to bypass the cooler altogether on the bikes, but it is hell on the oil. You can see a difference between cooled oil and non cooled oil after 500 miles of normal ridding the bike. Plus I dropped 10 degrees average coolant temp after going back to an oil cooler.
on a bike, yes, on a sandrail, unless you have a fan on the stock oil cooler, your doing more harm than good leaving it on there.  Without airflow, the heat from the exhaust will cook the oil, especially since there is no airflow and it becomes a heat sink, getting it hotter than if it just stayed in the motor, which is why if I don't run an after market cooler attached to the radiator to get fan airflow, I just bypass it all together. Think of your radiator, even in airflow, if you don't have a fan, the water will get really hot, overflow and the motor will overheat, I had a fan not kicking on and even though there was plenty of airflow, the motor started over heating, now think of how much heat the stock cooler is getting off the headers and you'll realize it's worse to leave it on there in the stock location.

As far as pipes, I ran the 2 brothers cause I liked the look, but in honestly, if your running the stock headers, it really doesn't matter which pipe you use, even stock, your not really gaining any hp, your just getting it based on sound and look, so pick what you like the look of.  I personally like my motors quiet, and was happiest with the stock can on the last rail I built......

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:06:17 PM by Yoshi »

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »

and was happiest with the stock can on the last rail I built......

If you dont mind the additional 20 lbs!!!
Yes I'm being a LITTLE sarcastic.... ;D

Keep in mind that the 2 stock cans on a busa are easily outflowed by a SINGLE aftermarket slip on, and a quarter of the weight..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »
I like the stock cans also.  They aren't that heavy and can be had on the cheap. Polished look pretty good also.  I do not agree that you should EVER bypass the oil cooler. Upgrade yes,bypass nope. IMO. It does need a fan tho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 02:42:15 PM »
I like the stock cans also.  They aren't that heavy and can be had on the cheap. Polished look pretty good also.  I do not agree that you should EVER bypass the oil cooler. Upgrade yes,bypass nope. IMO. It does need a fan tho.

Didn't think that many people used the stock cans!

Since thats the case, I have a pair I would be happy to part with if anyone is interested.They have about 100 miles on them (drive bike home from dealer and its the first thing I change along with a filter and PC before heading to the dyno..) 20 bucks plus shipping. PM if interested!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »
Hell I got 6 of 'em now.Just take the innards out and for turbo use they're just fine to tune to. I agree tho that aftermarket are cooler looking and for NA motors a high flowing single will be easier to package..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
LOL!!! When running the quiet muffs all you hear is a screaming turbo going by. Hehehe
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »
I never thought the stock pipe looked bad, it's certainly easier to keep clean. Hot aluminum doesn't like to stay polished very long when the offroad elements hit them...

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:21:33 PM »
LOL!!! When running the quiet muffs all you hear is a screaming turbo going by. Hehehe
OOOOHHHHH YEAAA!!!!!!
And what a beautiful sound it is..Nothing compares mm:

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
I never thought the stock pipe looked bad, it's certainly easier to keep clean. Hot aluminum doesn't like to stay polished very long when the offroad elements hit them...
Zootseal
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
Anodize????
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Rick S.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
Do the stock busa cans slip, or bolt on?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
3 bolt with copper compression gasket.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Rick S.

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »
Could someone post up some pics of the mounting flange?
And maybe some overall dims. dia. length?
I've been looking for something like this for the RC51
The stock RC51 cans are slip on, I'd rather have the bolt on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal