Author Topic: pulling a duster clutch  (Read 1391 times)

Boomer-61

pulling a duster clutch
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »
Re: pulling a 94c duster clutch, does this require a special tool or is there a shade tree method for getting one off without damaging it?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: pulling a duster clutch
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »
Usually a special tool but SOMETIMES you can make a home brew one.

Pull the bolt out and look inside the center bore of the clutch. There are threads there the puller threads into and its usualy got a long skinny smooth part that goes in to push on the end of the crank. (a tiny bit of grease on the threads and the end of the tool where it kisses the crank is a GOOD idea) Tighten it down real good and sometimes they need a lil tap tap with a good hammer. The idea is to shock the clutch off the shaft. NOT hammer the bearings.

IF you can find a bolt to match those threads you can sometimes slip a deepwell socket or other piece of solid round metal in there of the right length (length varies with application) and file or grind (or better yet turn on a lathe) the end of the bolt so its dead flat. The bolt then can grab the threads and push on the socket to pop off the clutch.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

LiveWire

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:47 AM »
The trouble with the Duster is that the bolt that threads into it is so small (9/16), that just using a solid bar will probably bend. The actual pusher rod is two step. It has a pilot that goes into the end of the crank to aid in preventing it from bending as well as keep the rod centered so as not to booger up the crank threads.

Boomer-61

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll give it a look tonight.  If I can get it off without boogering it up then all's well.  If not, then I'll get the tool.  Just for kicks, I checked with the local shop and they want 30 bucks to pull it.  Pirates!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »
Pirates might be an understatement. The tool likely costs that OR LESS and the job normally takes under a minute with the right tool.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Yeah cant remember how many times I beat something with hammer trying to get off flywheel or something .  Finally bought a puller and thought it was the coolest tool ever.  That was only six months ago and 35 yrs too late. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »
And after the shop guy listens to a half hour  of assorted BS about it it's deserved/worth the 30 bux to the shop owner. Not saying YOU or any other member here would do that(I hope we have better manners than that LMAO) but MANY enthusiasts damn sure do.  ;)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal